Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Fix: Bookmarks not keeping correct page

davidfor recently worked out why some people's books don't return to the right page after exiting the book, or after returning from going to the notes page - it's the Margin that's the problem.

So - turn off your Margin by moving it to the furthest left point - and then you will return to the page that you exited the book from.

What a simple solution to such an annoying problem, eh!!

Thanks again davidfor

Here's the link to the thread where it was discussed and the solution identified:

Kobo to start own forums?

PS What about thanking him by giving him some Karma

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 01-05-2013 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Added the PS
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
baggins
baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Thank you Lynx for bringing davidfor's solution out from being buried in all that technical CSS thread, I completely missed this answer to that very annoying problem. It's easy to see how Kobo missed this bug, since before 2.3.1 the margin on sideloaded books was zero regardless of what setting you used. Hopefully they'll fix it in the next firmware.

And big thanks to davidfor again. That's the second time in a week I'm in you debt, after also helping me be finally able to display Hebrew books the right way.
baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggins View Post
It's easy to see how Kobo missed this bug, since before 2.3.1 the margin on sideloaded books was zero regardless of what setting you used.
I think you're mistaken. I'm still using v2.1.5 on my Glo and the margins slider works fine (the values aren't to my liking but that's a different story).

If you're having trouble with sideloaded epubs it's more likely that you have margins hard-coded into your epub css files, either in the <body> class or perhaps an @page {...} statement. I think the Kobo will honour those settings if they exist.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
baggins
baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I admit I didn't check if they have any hard-coded margins, but the same books which didn't respond to margin change in 2.1.5, did respond to them in 2.3.1.

In fact, when I upgraded to 2.3.1 and reopened the book I was reading I found to my surprise that I had it on a couple of cm margin size and not zero as I thought.

No matter, as long as both margins and return position work in the next firmware, I'll be happy.
baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggins View Post
No matter, as long as both margins and return position work in the next firmware, I'll be happy.
Don't count on it happening.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think you're mistaken. I'm still using v2.1.5 on my Glo and the margins slider works fine (the values aren't to my liking but that's a different story).

If you're having trouble with sideloaded epubs it's more likely that you have margins hard-coded into your epub css files, either in the <body> class or perhaps an @page {...} statement. I think the Kobo will honour those settings if they exist.
Firmware 2.3.x will modify the margins on an epub that has hard coded margins with one big caveat -- you can only increase the margins from what is hard coded. I posted a couple of versions of Charles Stross' Toast ebook, one with narrow margins and one with wide margins which demonstrated that effect. The narrow margin version always had narrower margins at the same slider setting.

To quote my original post:

On my Glo measuring from the left edge of the screen to the H in "Highly flammable.", I got the following results.

Margin slider fully to the left:
Toast-narrow has a 2mm margin
Toast-wide has a 17mm margin

Margin slider fully to the right:
Toast-narrow has a 16mm margin
Toast-wide has a 31mm wide margin

This is using the font size my tired old eyes find comfortable. At the lowest font size settings, the margins on Toast-wide go from 6mm to 20mm which is about the same 14mm change.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
There is another thing to consider...

Left/Right page margins in the epub css can be set in @page and/or the body css. If non-zero margins are set in both places then they should be additive e.g.
Code:
@page {margin-left: 2pt; margin-right: 2pt}
body.calibre {margin-left: 5pt; margin-right: 5pt}
should result in 7pt L/R margins.

I'm not sure, how the Kobo is applying its page margin setting. Is it overwriting the @page or the body css. Or is it possibly adding to one or the other?

If you want to add top/bottom page margins then the only effective way is to use the @page -- but it doesn't look like the Kobo lets you use the slider to change these. I think you'd have to hard-code it in the epub, either manually or using calibre. Even then I'm not sure whether the Kobo would overwrite the values with zero.

I can't test at the moment as my PC is too flaky to use for long periods.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
There is another thing to consider...

Left/Right page margins in the epub css can be set in @page and/or the body css. If non-zero margins are set in both places then they should be additive e.g.
Code:
@page {margin-left: 2pt; margin-right: 2pt}
body.calibre {margin-left: 5pt; margin-right: 5pt}
should result in 7pt L/R margins.

I'm not sure, how the Kobo is applying its page margin setting. Is it overwriting the @page or the body css. Or is it possibly adding to one or the other?

If you want to add top/bottom page margins then the only effective way is to use the @page -- but it doesn't look like the Kobo lets you use the slider to change these. I think you'd have to hard-code it in the epub, either manually or using calibre. Even then I'm not sure whether the Kobo would overwrite the values with zero.

I can't test at the moment as my PC is too flaky to use for long periods.
As far as I can in some quick testing, the margins are additive. The margin used seems to be the sum of the margins set by the various applicable style elements. That is if the body style is set to 25 points and the paragraph style is set to 5 pts, the paragraph will display with 30 point margins.
Simplified stylesheet for my testing was something like:
.body {margin: 0 25pt;}
.para {margin: 0 15pt;}
.sentence {margin: 0 20pt;}

(the margins set should be top&bottom 0, right and left xxpt)

This gave me a final margin which was visually equivalent to setting the body margin to 60pt and the rest to 0 for that sentence.

The Kobo's margin slider seems to act as just another element. for the left & right margins.

This was using ADE 2.0 to display the epubs -- just a touch faster than connecting a Kobo and waiting through the restart and processing content.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote