Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
arshield
Enthusiast
arshield is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Titles purchased at closed book stores

My reading so far says that Igor's script won't do anything to unlock a title that I purchased from a closed book store. (Because I can't download a new version with the proper PID). Am I missing anything. I have a handful of titles from Paperbackdigital and they are closed and I can't read any of them anymore.
arshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
The script works with any PID you give it so there should be no problem there.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
There is a problem. The PID does not match the Kidnle's PID so the books won't work witht he Kindle. The only way to get them to work is to remove the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Not if you are talking about Kindlefix... it needs to be used on an eBook that was purchased/borrowed using the Kindles PID that you get from kindlepid script.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshield View Post
I have a handful of titles from Paperbackdigital and they are closed and I can't read any of them anymore.
Do you know any of the PID's that the MOBI files are authorized for? If so, then mobidedrm can create a DRM-free version. If not, then your only recourse may be to see if the distributor (MobiPocket) can add new PIDs for you. MobiPocket seems willing to help, but they need info from Paperbackdigital that they have been unable to obtain, see paperback digital bookshop closed down.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
arshield
Enthusiast

Ok. I don't have the old PIDs because I never saved them. I tried MobiDeDrm but that requires the old PID's right? So just am screwed this time. I didn't put much money into these books but I don't want to lose more money on new DRMed books. But as I understand it. As long as I save the PID I can strip the DRM and use the books with my Kindle or other future reader. Is that right?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
if i were you, i would strip the drm from any new book immediately, to avoid this same problem in future. lit format is very easy to liberate ; you can also liberate mobipocket with very little trouble. these formats can also both be converted to other formats easily, and non-drm mobipocket can be read natively on the kindle. it's frustrating to lose your books but hopefully you'll be able to avoid it from now on.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Without the PIDs used to originally encode the books you're stuck, unless Mobipocket does manage to contact someone from the old book store with the right info. But since there's been no progress since May, that seems increasingly unlikely.

Quote:
Ok. I don't have the old PIDs because I never saved them. I tried MobiDeDrm but that requires the old PID's right? So just am screwed this time. I didn't put much money into these books but I don't want to lose more money on new DRMed books. But as I understand it. As long as I save the PID I can strip the DRM and use the books with my Kindle or other future reader. Is that right?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I would say is give it up. Any book purchased from paperbackdigital that you don't have the PID for is a lost cause.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I don't have the old PIDs because I never saved them.
If you still have the devices you read the ebooks on the PIDs might be the same (they might also have changed, I think they do when you reinstall the operating system on some handhelds). Also, if you used Windows Desktop MobiPocket Reader its PID (on the original PC) will probably work too. In Windows Desktop MobiPocket Reader look under reading devices. There is usually a menu item for looking up the PID on the handheld as well.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
arshield
Enthusiast

I reformated the computer and gave it away to a friend that lives across the country and the phone crashed and I got a new one. Thanks for the help. Just another lesson to prove DRM means you should not buy. Thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
This is a long-shot, but is there any chance you registered those old PIDs anywhere else? I have Mobipocket PIDs registered at Fictionwise, BooksonBoard, the CLEVNET library system, and Columbus's library system. I don't always remember to update all those places with new PIDs when I get new toys. Is it possible you might have registered long ago at another site you maybe haven't visited in a while that would still have the old information saved?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I reformated the computer and gave it away to a friend that lives across the country and the phone crashed and I got a new one. Thanks for the help. Just another lesson to prove DRM means you should not buy. Thanks
What it means is don't buy with DRM you cannot crack & then convert if need be.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #14
arshield
Enthusiast

I found two PID in other stores, but neither was the right ones. My problem is that I had 13 Dell PDAs over the years, 4 Windows Mobile phones and three computer since I bought my first ebook. So I am officially giving up.