Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Kobo Web site Login

I have never enjoyed the "Keep me signed in" feature on the Kobo Books web site with respect to logging in.

I must sign in every time I visit. When I do sign in, there is no stored cookie that remembers me, and so I must type my complete user name and password each time I log in.

The interesting part is that after logging in, I am remembered for a few hours, but then not after that. It's as if they have a timed cookie on my computer.

Am I the only one that experiences this problem? I do have two computers, and it occurs with both.

I visit the site quite often, so this problem is a bit annoying, especially when every other web site I visit is able to keep me logged in. Why not Kobo?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
nope, they always have a timed cookie.
i think it's a security issue if some 'not so technical savvy people' leave the remember feature on in a public place, like the chapters book store.

edit: i'm not sure if my browsers asked and i said no but there should be an option to remember your password for the site and you'd need to just type the first letter of your email and the other boxes should fill in. i have plenty of saved passes like that on my pc. sometimes it's a pain when i forget the password for a particular site and have to reset it because i never get to type it in.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Quote:
i'm not sure if my browsers asked and i said no but there should be an option to remember your password for the site and you'd need to just type the first letter of your email and the other boxes should fill in.
Yeah, but that's not the case with the Kobo web site. I have to retype the entire user name and password each and every time.

Why can every other web site offer this capability and not Kobo?

ltr
Old 06-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I agree, I don't mind typing my password but it would be nice if it remembered my email address. Especially since there is a "Remember Me" checkbox.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I use something called LastPass (free unless you want to use it on your mobile phone as well) to remember all of my logins. It can be set to autofill.This does not answer the bigger issue with Kobo not doing it, but it does take care of the problem.

I bought it because it does random password generation,etc.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
ltr
Addict

I'm aware of LastPass, but as you say, it doesn't address the issue of why the Kobo site doesn't remember users, specifically when it offers a checkbox labelled, "Keep me signed in" - which is exactly what I want, and what most other web sites offer?

Can someone from Kobo help out here?

ltr
Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Sounds like you've found a bug on our website. I'll let the right person at Kobo know (which happens to be me!) so we can fix it!
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I have the same problem, and was just about to post about it. Nice to see someone from Kobo posting about it. I'll look forward to seeing this fixed.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
I had our development team look into it - it seems we have a 50 minute window on that checkbox, for some reason no one can explain to me

I'll have it slowing increased from 'very short' to 'very long', and we'll monitor the security impact.

Thanks for flagging this.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
ltr
Addict

Myself, I'd like to remain logged in forever unless I log out.

If someone is using a public computer, the standard caution is to never check a box to remain signed in.

Thanks for looking into it JC.

ltr
Old 06-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Myself, I'd like to remain logged in forever unless I log out.
Me too! Not all of us log in from public library computers.

As a matter of fact, I only ever log in to the Kobo website from my home computer, that no one else uses, and I want the option to say "no thank you, leave the door unlocked" on things like these. I understand the need for security, probably better than most thanks to my job, but that doesn't mean that I want to keep the highest possible level of security on a PC that doesn't actually need it.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Get Firefox. It remembers and auto-fills most UN/PW.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Get Firefox. It remembers and auto-fills most UN/PW.
Not if you use the shortcut in Calibre...
Old 06-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Not if you use the shortcut in Calibre...
Make Firefox your default browser.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Make Firefox your default browser.
It is, but when I use the shortcut in Calibre it still won't remember my email and password. I've spent days trying to make it work, but no go... which makes sense if they have such a short timer on the cookies.