Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Creating Shelves in Kobo

I am using the Kobo plugin to create collections by using the author name on the book being downloaded. This worked perfectly but the collection name is now the author name and when you display the collection view it sorts by that name which ends up sorting on the first name of the author.

The plugin uses the contents of a specified column name as the collection name. I guess what I have to do is create a custom column that contains the author sort name rather than the author name.

Is there a bulk way to populate a custom column from a metadata field??
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found the solution from davidfor -- just create a custom column of the type "column built from other columns" and put {author_sort} as the template.

When I specify my new custom column as the collection column the collection name is now in author sort format. Perfect.
Advert
Old 07-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I found the solution from davidfor -- just create a custom column of the type "column built from other columns" and put {author_sort} as the template.

When I specify my new custom column as the collection column the collection name is now in author sort format. Perfect.
You could also use tag and/or series for your collections. You can have more than one column used for collections and you can have books in muliple collection as well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Larla
Addict

Yes -- I see that the Calibre support for Kobo Collections is very flexible. I have seen some very interesting use cases that others have described and I am sure I will be using some of those techniques in the future.