Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
peter0conor
peter0conor began at the beginning.

Device: inkBOOK
Question "Tag" vs "adding new column" dilemma

Hello Everybody,

I started to build my Calibre library a few months ago, and I keep enjoying adding books to it. However, before my library gets bigger I came to a dilemma about whether it would be better to use "Tags" or "adding new columns". I actually don't see the differences where one could be preferably used instead of the other one. Therefore, I would like to kindly ask the Calibre SMEs about their recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Peter
peter0conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The more there are custom columns, the slower Calibre is to open. So I would use tags when possible.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's less clutter with a column versus a tag that might be mixed in with other tags. For example, when you sort on that column you can immediately see what's what. I had been using tags but have switched to using custom columns.

Last edited by hobnail; 05-04-2020 at 02:09 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The more there are custom columns, the slower Calibre is to open. So I would use tags when possible.
True. That's probably why I changed how I manage my books. I used to have all of the books on my ereader and one calibre library.

Now I only have the books I plan to read on the ereader and a calibre library for that and another calibre library for books that I've finished or downloaded from some free site but don't plan on reading any time soon. I've had to correct the habit of downloading many free ebooks from an author I haven't read yet and then were cluttering up that unread/in progress library, and my ereader, and have moved them to the finished library. I have a finished column that I change from null to yes when I've finished or abandoned the book, then I use the copy to library with delete after copy to move it to the finished library. I tried using virtual libraries for this but calibre doesn't remember the virtual library I was in when you quit it and I'd get confused when I next started it. And it's trivial to switch between libraries although I seldom switch to the finished one.

Last edited by hobnail; 05-04-2020 at 02:28 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What they said. Lean and mean pays off for larger libraries.

Still, I have a few Custom columns:

I have a #usertags to keep track of things that are not normal metadata Tags (those that get downloaded): Where I bought, What Reader it is on, Quality (check) notes

I also have #pages, #alt_series, #mstr_fmt, and #pseudo4 (for anything authors as I keep the real one simple <4 or I put the name (ed)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I also have several custom columns, because tags aren't always the most convenient way to display something. Still, wherever possible, I try to use tags and/or saved searches instead of custom columns.

I do have a separate library for the books I load on my ereaders and intend to read in my remaining lifetime. Nevertheless I mostly work with my main library which has all the ebooks I have. It takes several seconds to open on my latest PC with 16 GB RAM and an I7 8th gen. processor. I have about 10 custom columns there.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only put content descriptors in the Tags/tags column, I have a couple of columns with a fixed set of values for administrative usage.

BTW - Kovid and chaley made changes to calibre's in-memory database that made startup times significantly faster, but that was years ago - maybe as many as 4 or 5, or more.

I have a library of 180K books with 5 custom columns, another with 10K books and 12 column columns, and a Test library with ~2K books and 20+ custom columns. Calibre start up times are about 5 seconds no matter which library I start with. And that includes whatever Job Spy and Calibre Spy do at start up. Custom columns that access the file system via templates can make start up times slow, but i don't have any of those.

Added: the libraries are on a spinning SATA 3 HDD, calibre and settings are on an M.2 NVMe SSD. FWIW I have calibre portable installed on the HDD, startup times against the same libraries are not significantly slower, maybe 7 or 8 seconds rather than 4 or 5.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-04-2020 at 06:13 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:42 PM   #8
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
hobnail mentions it in passing, but to me the biggest advantage of a custom column is being able to sort by it. I don't think you can do that with a tag value.

Also, some plugins, like Count Pages, write to custom columns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
There's less clutter with a column versus a tag that might be mixed in with other tags. For example, when you sort on that column you can immediately see what's what. I had been using tags but have switched to using custom columns.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #9
Ma'am-I-Am
Preferred pronouns: We/Us
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2
Having read all the above, I have a related question.

If I choose to use a tag instead of a custom column, is there a way to highlight a particular tag?

My View is as a list, with a panel on the right showing all the detail I want including tags. I would like to see "Retail" in bold and in green, but I have nearly zero understanding of the code required for metadata plug-boards and such.

Or is this a question better suited to some other forum or thread?
Ma'am-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote