Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #1
antithesis
Avid reader
antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle DX White
Should I major in literary- and film science, English, or German?

Literary- and film science won't cover any linguistics or history, but it is more dedicated to analyzing stories. I'll be specializing in either literature or film starting in the second year. I like linguistics, but is it really necessary (or helpful, for that matter) if you want a job in writing?

The English major will include language acquisition, analyzing literature, linguistics and philology. It has specializations in the latter three. This combination is just perfect for me, but... it's not German. I'm better at English, but I appreciate German more.

German will be hard at first, but I'll have mastered the most awesome language in the world at the end. The problem is that it sacrifices part of the focus on the language for a focus on the culture and history. The English major also includes British history, but only in relation to how the language changed through the ages, as part of the philology courses. The German course will cover courses like historical science and courses completely dedicated to Germany in a cultural context. I prefer focusing purely on the language.

The first dilemma is between a course focused on literature, and one focused on a language in general. What's more useful overall?

The second dilemma is which language I can already read English texts in their original language, while I really want to be able to read Kafka, Goethe and Kant in their original language. For that reason, I'm inclined toward German. However, if I pick English, I'll have a major of which every aspect interests me, and I can simply learn German by the side. The skills I'll learn from studying English, will I be able to apply them to German? Will it be the same?
antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
From a job perspective, you should ask some people who are either doing that job, or hiring people for that job.

For me, unless I were going into some specialized field, I wouldn't worry too much about what I "need" to major in. Anyway, there's a good possibility that you're plans will end up changing in the years to come.

When your prospective employers throw you out for getting that German degree, I will deny all.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Absolutely. Concentrate on what the job prospects are, because getting a job is the end goal of your studies. You have a lifetime ahead of you to study what interests you as a hobby. Degrees are about getting a decent job.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Degrees are about getting a decent job.
Degrees can be about getting a decent job, but they can also be about engaging with an academic topic for the joy of it. I live in Denmark where the concept of "folkoplysning" is still alive and well - it means something like "people's enlightenment". The idea that education is to make better people, not just better units of production, is still quite respectable in some places, (places that often come out top of surveys of the happiest nations in the world, as it happens).

Your degree is about what you want it to be about - if it's about getting a decent job for you then make your decision based on what you think will likely lead to that outcome. If it's about something else then make your decision on the basis of that. I have degrees and higher degrees in philosophy, cognitive science and semiotics and none of them have any real value for the job market - but they have immense value to me for the way I think and live my life. But I wouldn't dream of prescribing to someone else that they should ignore job prospects and pursue a subject for purely academic fulfillment.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm so glad for you, antithesis! From looking over your original post, I have a feeling you're leaning more towards German. From the practical view of things when I first had to choose the course I'm getting into, I was told to think ahead and see what jobs are available for graduates of those specific courses.

But that is only the advice that was given to me. I still think that if you're passionate about a certain thing, you could find the means to improve your life by utilizing that certain passion.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote