Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #15766
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
A wonderful historical read - I read it this past summer - it's amazing how she deftly handles all the personalities & incidents leading up to WW I!
Yeah, I read John Keegan's full history of WWI last year, so I am looking forward to this more focused look.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #15767
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I have no clue what to read next, probably something that is more clearly science fiction though.
Next will be Fire and Ice by Dana Stabenow, the first Liam Campbell mystery. I have enjoyed her other books so hopefully this is as good as the Kate Shugak books.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #15768
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Star Svensdotter Trilogy

Quote:
...I have no clue what to read next, probably something that is more clearly science fiction though.
Quote:
Next will be Fire and Ice by Dana Stabenow, the first Liam Campbell mystery. I have enjoyed her other books so hopefully this is as good as the Kate Shugak books.
If you like Dana's mysteries and science fiction then you will probably like this:

The Star Svensdotter Trilogy [Kindle Edition]

Also you can get the first book in the trilogy, Second Star from Dana for FREE then get the other two (or the trilogy volume) later!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #15769
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
If you like Dana's mysteries and science fiction then you will probably like this: The Star Svensdotter Trilogy [Kindle Edition]
Thanks, it's on my list, it just hasn't made it to the top yet. I am not sure exactly why though.

I did end up reading a disappointing book telling some short (thankfully) true stories of a highway patrol officer in the middle here, so this is an attempt to get something entertaining with a law enforcement theme to it. I started the other since it was short and hoped it would be a funny diversion, but it seems to have derailed my SF reading for a little while.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #15770
blackcat
Connoisseur
blackcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD, Ipad 4
Currently reading The Reality Dysfunction .....
blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #15771
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Next up: Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children by Ransom Riggs. I can't remember the last time I read horror, if ever. I'm curious to see how I'll like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I think I'm ging to have to try this one at some point. Its been mentioned quite a bit, lately.
My wife is currently reading this to our youngest daughter (10). They are both loving it.

I'm almost finished Lolita (I'll save my comments for the appropriate review thread), and then have a choice of what's next:

Third Shift by Hugh Howey
The Third Bullet by Stephen Hunter
The Filter Bubble - What the Internet Is Hiding From You by Eli Pariser
Guilt by Jonathan Kellerman

Can't decide...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #15772
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
My wife is currently reading this to our youngest daughter (10). They are both loving it.

I'm almost finished Lolita (I'll save my comments for the appropriate review thread), and then have a choice of what's next:

Third Shift by Hugh Howey
The Third Bullet by Stephen Hunter
Guilt by Jonathan Kellerman

Can't decide...

That sounds pretty interesting, I may have to check it out myself.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #15773
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Tony Hillerman & Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt)

Quote:
Well, I've now finished reading all 17 of Tony Hillerman's Navajo Mysterys with the completion of Skeleton Man. To pay a visit to those old friends from now on I'll have to re-read, which is okay since I usually enjoy re-reading. I also just completed reading the 9th Nancy Drew Mystery Story, The Sign of the Twisted Candles. I enjoyed reading both of these novels a lot.

Now on to the 10th Nancy Drew Mystery Story, The Password to Larkspur Lane, which I' looking forward to a lot because it's the Nancy Drew title I remember most vividly from my 3rd and 4th grade reading of a number of the Nancy Drew books. I'm interested to see if I remember anything else other than the title! Also I'm starting the 17th Kate Shugak novel by Dana Stabenow, A Night Too Dark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Aren't there 18 Hillerman Navajo books? Which one did you miss?
Quote:
you're correct, The Shape Shifter!! Whoopee!
I very much enjoyed reading The Password to Larkspur Lane. And I also I enjoyed reading and liked A Night Too Dark a whole bunch.

Now it's on to the 11th Nancy Drew Mystery Story, The Clue of the Broken Locket by Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt) and The 18th (this is really the last one) of Tony Hillerman's Navajo Mysterys, The Shape Shifter.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #15774
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I finished John Flanagan's first book in the Ranger's Apprentice series, The Ruins of Gorlan, yesterday. I've seen this series advertised several times over the years in the window of the local bookshop. At the moment John Flanagan's new series, Brotherband Chronicles, are displayed with a stack of the Ranger's Apprentice books next to it and it got me curious enough to get the first book in the series.

In this first book the main characters are introduced and it is explained what a Ranger does. Will is an orphan and has grown up in the castle of the local lord. When an orphan is fifteen he/she has to choose, and be accepted into, an apprenticeship. Will really wants to become a warrior but he is deemed to small. However, Ranger Halt offers him the opportunity to become a Ranger. What a Ranger exactly does is a mystery, many believe they can do magic because you don't see a Ranger until he wants to be seen. Will accepts the apprenticeship and discovers not only what a Ranger does but he also makes friends, becomes a hero and discovers more about his parents.

A great introduction to the series and I can't wait to get the next in the series!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #15775
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I finished John Flanagan's first book in the Ranger's Apprentice series, The Ruins of Gorlan, yesterday. [...] A great introduction to the series and I can't wait to get the next in the series!
They're good for a quick easy read. Really funny at times.

But...
Spoiler:
it's too simple. I wouldn't expect anyone to hold their breath from the third book. Still, its easy banters and predictable stories helped be get over a big slump.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #15776
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I Just finished "The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Really liked it and you couldn't tell it was a scifi book from the 70s (except for the part in the introductory timeline that said by 2008 the first interstellar drives were being tested )

I don't plan on reading the sequel as it got terrible reviews.

Now on to "Shadow of Freedom" by David Weber.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #15777
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Analog SFF, May 2013 by Dell Magazine Authors
Also a slightly above average issue.

Next up: A Few Good Men by Sarah A. Hoyt. The third in her "DarkShip" series. Looking very good so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #15778
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I Just finished "The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Really liked it and you couldn't tell it was a scifi book from the 70s (except for the part in the introductory timeline that said by 2008 the first interstellar drives were being tested )

I don't plan on reading the sequel as it got terrible reviews.

Now on to "Shadow of Freedom" by David Weber.
For me The Mote in God's Eye was excellent. I remember the sequel, The Gripping Hand, was not as good but still a good read. Outies the third in the series was written by Jerry Pournelle's daughter Jennifer and is the weakest of the three, in my opinion.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #15779
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
For me The Mote in God's Eye was excellent. I remember the sequel, The Gripping Hand, was not as good but still a good read. Outies the third in the series was written by Jerry Pournelle's daughter Jennifer and is the weakest of the three, in my opinion.
Apache
Thanks, maybe I will give The Gripping Hand a shot.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #15780
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Nancy Drew

I decided to check Netflix for Nancy Drew movies, found one from 1939 that was titled Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase starring Bonita Granville as Nancy. It bore little resemblance to the book it was titled after and Nancy was not at all like the....oh I'll just say that the story and the characters were not anything at all like the Nancy Drew Mysteries. The only thing I enjoyed (nostalgically) was seeing Frankie Thomas as Ted (not Ned) Nickerson as he was the actor who played the title role in my very first favorite TV show, Tom Corbet Space Cadet (1950-1955) which was based on Heinlein's YA novel, Space Cadet and was just as far off base concerning the book it was based on as was this so-called Nancy Drew movie. But I watched it faithfully anyway. By the way Heinlein disliked it so much that he had his name removed from the credits.