Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #451
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by April_7th View Post
It's linked for PW 5.3.1.. Does it work for KT 5.3.2?
Oops. Apparently it's only for 5.1. I've just tried it and it doesn't work for me either...
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #452
April_7th
Connoisseur
April_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
Oops. Apparently it's only for 5.1. I've just tried it and it doesn't work for me either...
I just tried too and it worked for me)) Make sure that the new empty file is without extention..
April_7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #453
April_7th
Connoisseur
April_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by puxxi2003 View Post
if you use:
touch 5.3.2 -- /mnt/us/fonts -- USE_ALT_FONTS

then you can also block/reject the system-fonts

create a new txt-file (local.conf)

inside local.conf
Code:
<rejectfont>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
			<string>HeiseiMaruGoth_JIS0213_E</string>
		</patelt>
	</pattern>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
			<string>HangulGothicMTC-Medium_E</string>
		</patelt>
	</pattern>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
			<string>MHeiGB18030C-Medium_E</string>
		</patelt>
	</pattern>
	<pattern>                
		<patelt name="family">   
			<string>MHeiC-Medium-Big5HKSCS_E</string>  
		</patelt>                  
	</pattern>                 
	<pattern>                
		<patelt name="family">   
			<string>Futura</string>  
		</patelt>                  
	</pattern> 
</rejectfont>
put it on kindle to
/etc/fonts/local.conf

btw
i like the futura-font and dont reject it
I'm trying to reject system fonts with this code, but they stay in the list.

1. Create local.conf.txt in the root/fonts
2. Copy this code and put it in local.conf.txt
3. Save changes and restart the Kindle

Am I doing something wrong? Please help
Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #454
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by April_7th View Post
I'm trying to reject system fonts with this code, but they stay in the list.

2. Copy this code and put it in local.conf.txt
3. Save changes and restart the Kindle

Am I doing something wrong? Please help
the file name should be local.conf and not local.conf.txt.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #455
April_7th
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
the file name should be local.conf and not local.conf.txt.
.txt is not a part of the name, it's just an extention.. Though tried without extention and didn't work anyway..
Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #456
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
What program are you using to create the file?

.txt is part of the filename and will result in the file not working. Also, if you're using Windows, you need to be sure your file is using unix style line endings (LF only) and not windows (CR LF).

There are several free text editors that let you switch between Windows/Linux style line endings. Here are two:

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
http://www.editpadlite.com/

Edit:
Quote:
The file needs to be placed in /etc/fonts/ -- usbnetwork is required in order to access that directory.

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-13-2013 at 02:44 AM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #457
April_7th
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
What program are you using to create the file?

.txt is part of the filename and will result in the file not working. Also, if you're using Windows, you need to be sure your file is using unix style line endings (LF only) and not windows (CR LF).

There are several free text editors that let you switch between Windows/Linux style line endings. Here are two:

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
http://www.editpadlite.com/

Edit:

The file needs to be placed in /etc/fonts/ -- usbnetwork is required in order to access that directory.
Thank you very much.. I've understood what's the problem.
I am using Windows and was trying to put the file through the regular USB networking..
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #458
April_7th
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
I installed Putty, started usbnetworking on my Kindle, connected with the USB, put an IP 192.168.15.244, a black window popped out and after 1-2 minutes an error appears "Connection time out".

can you please tell me how to transfer files through usbnetworking? or maybe give me a link..? i tried to search some useful information by myself, but found nothing..
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #459
puxxi2003
puxxi2003 is a splendid one to beholdpuxxi2003 is a splendid one to beholdpuxxi2003 is a splendid one to beholdpuxxi2003 is a splendid one to beholdpuxxi2003 is a splendid one to beholdpuxxi2003 is a splendid one to beholdpuxxi2003 is a splendid one to beholdpuxxi2003 is a splendid one to beholdpuxxi2003 is a splendid one to beholdpuxxi2003 is a splendid one to beholdpuxxi2003 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Touch & Tolino
lol

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...USB_Networking
puxxi2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #460
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Fontconfig problem

I went through /etc/fonts/conf.d/ folder and looked through most files. Interestingly in 51-local.conf is the call for including local.conf - no surprise there, it is part of fc.
Code:
<include ignore_missing="yes">local.conf</include>
Does exactly what it needs to do. We get to e.g. reject extra fonts. 70-lab126-altfonts.conf enables our lovely /mnt/us/fonts directory with:
Code:
<dir>/mnt/us/fonts</dir>
Again no surprise here. It then is supposed to read a config file out of /mnt/us. The surprise here is that fc does not actually execute it. What kind of black magic is that? This is what the config file has:
Code:
<include ignore_missing="yes">
/mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf
</include>
I am reading this and think - great news - access to fontconfig without jailbreak directly in usb accessible storage. Except it doesn't work.

I moved all my custom fonts to /mnt/us/altfonts and the following file works just fine in /etc/fonts/local.conf, but not when moved to /mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf. What am I missing?
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <dir>/mnt/us/altfonts</dir>
</fontconfig>
p.s.:All this done on PW 5.3.3

Update: Baaah, stupid XML. It works just fine when the include is not spread over 3 lines. Otherwise it will look for "\n/mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf\n" which of course does not exist. Who writes broken XML code at lab126? Unless they screwed it up on purpose.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-20-2013 at 10:18 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #461
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow! What a let-down...

I just tried it myself on the PW 5.3.3 and it did not work. I was pouring through those files yesterday for about 30 minutes and missed the alternate.conf reference. I can imagine your frustration.

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-20-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #462
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

You know the real kicker? I edited 70-lab126-altfonts.conf:
Code:
<include ignore_missing="yes">
/mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf
</include>

To:
<include ignore_missing="yes">/mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf</include>
It works now. Perhaps the line ending was screwing it up? I wouldn't think that would be a problem. I double-checked to make sure I didn't have any stray conf files anywhere. Can you try that just in case I'm wrong...

Edit: I just made a change to alternate.conf and it worked after a restart.

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-20-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #463
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Update: Baaah, stupid XML. It works just fine when the include is not spread over 3 lines. Otherwise it will look for "\n/mnt/us/fonts/alternate.conf\n" which of course does not exist. Who writes broken XML code at lab126? Unless they screwed it up on purpose.
Don't laugh. Fixed now, BUT to enable it you have to jailbreak and edit that file. Defeats the purpose of not having to jailbreak.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #464
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

It's a real kick in the groin.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #465
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Don't laugh. Fixed now, BUT to enable it you have to jailbreak and edit that file. Defeats the purpose of not having to jailbreak.
MR: We (could) have a button for that.

A button can do anything that an executable running as 'root' can do.

Last edited by knc1; 02-20-2013 at 10:54 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks