Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
shirleyellenp
shirleyellenp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
USB Device Not recognized

I just bought a new book from the Sony bookstore and when I attached the reader to my computer via the USB cord it isn't recognized. The message says, "One of the USB devices attached to this computer had malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."

I've had it less than a month and haven't had any problems so far. I've tried reconnecting the reader via the USB cord to other ports and still no joy. Any suggestions?
shirleyellenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Try other USB ports if you have them, this happened to me once and I switched ports and it never happened again
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
shirleyellenp

Thanks for the reply Ervserver. I've tried the other ports and still no joy. Rebooted, reconnected several times, no luck. Don't know if this was a good idea, but I took the USB cord from my camera and tried it, same error message.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
enygmatic
enygmatic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I'm facing the same problem. All my USB ports work as I am able to use other devices on them. I had raised this issue on the forums recently in this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68098

Replies there suggested it maybe a driver issue. You may want to check out the replies in that thread
enygmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #5
enygmatic
enygmatic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Also found this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=18007&page=4
This details the same problem for a CyBook. It seems the problem was finally solved, so again you may want to see that too.
I'm pretty sure its not you Reader, as mine gives me the same problem on my Win XP Desktop, but works fine on my Vista Laptop
enygmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Something else you can do is push in the reset button on the bottom (pinhole to the left of the ac port on the bottom of the reader) with a pin. My computer was giving me the same message, but now recognizes the reader after pushing in the reset.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Are you making sure you close your library to disconnect the Reader? If you just remove it, or do safely remove hardware, that might happen.

Have you tried opening the library by itself to see if the library recognizes it?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
shirleyellenp

I went with the easiest suggestion first and reset the reader. It worked!

I'm just wondering what happened and why I had to reset. I'm also wondering for what other reasons one would need to reset the reader.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I don't know myself; I just know that on a PRS 300 thread, someone suggested doing a periodic reset to keep the machine running well. Glad it worked!
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote