Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #31
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm giddy with glee....it still has 5.3.4 on it! So I just need to apply the backdoor lock.

ETA I applied jailbreak, backdoor lock, JB Patch and USE_ALT_FONTS all before turning on wifi and registering. Worked like a charm!

Last edited by booklover6; 05-05-2014 at 06:22 AM.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:55 AM   #32
Carcyon
Carcyon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameho View Post
Download this file http://pan.baidu.com/s/1qW8nWwk

Extract to your kindle root path.
Paste the update file to the folder: update.
Update your kindle in the setting menu
Thank god for that! I can finally use my custom fonts on my PW1 again! Or is there another (simple) method to do it with the latest firmware?

The Problem I have now is: How do I prevent my Kindle PW1 from updating again?
Carcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcyon View Post
Thank god for that! I can finally use my custom fonts on my PW1 again! Or is there another (simple) method to do it with the latest firmware?

The Problem I have now is: How do I prevent my Kindle PW1 from updating again?
I use the backdoorlock hack in this thread. You have to be jailbroken.

What firmware are you on? Why would you want the latest? I will never upgrade my PW1.

As long as you have jailbroken your device, you should try JBPatch. Then you can narrow those default margin settings.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:24 PM   #34
Kelzanelie
Noob
Kelzanelie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've just gotten the Kindle PW2, v5.4.3.2. I'm trying to install the collection manager on it, but it says the version isn't supported. I tried downgrading to version 5.3.5 and 5.3.1 both, including amehos link (Once I translated it ) but it won't downgrade. Any suggestions? Keeping in mind that I'm an extreme newbie. Thank you!
Kelzanelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #35
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Kelzanelie: Kudos for being in the right thread on your first post .

The process is slightly trickier than that when starting from newish firmwares, check the quote/link in the first message on the 2nd page of this very same thread for a workaround . (And see you in the dev corner for the gory details on the whole CM+Calibre thing).

EDIT: Aaaand I can't read. You did follow the link. Instead of following the link right away, follow the *quote* to land on the original thread (click on the little blue corner thingy in the top-right of the quote block). This one's in english, and with more details, and provides another workaround if the device is jailbroken.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-24-2014 at 09:49 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #36
Kelzanelie
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Kelzanelie: Kudos for being in the right thread on your first post .

EDIT: Aaaand I can't read. You did follow the link. Instead of following the link right away, follow the *quote* to land on the original thread (click on the little blue corner thingy in the top-right of the quote block). This one's in english, and with more details, and provides another workaround if the device is jailbroken.
Thank you for answering so quickly! I actually did follow the original link and downloaded the zip file, but the page was still in Chinese. Maybe I'm getting it wrong somewhere else? So far I've downloaded and installed the jailbreak, the MKK and the collection manager. I've gotten the correct response on all of them but the last. That one says my a version 5.4.3.2 isn't supported. So I found this page . But I'm batting a zero here because nothing I've tried downgrades my version. I may be doing it wrong though. This is the first time I've ever tried jail breaking my Kindle. Prior to today I had a Kindle Keyboard and didn't mind doing it the long way. But the touch screen on the paper white sucks . If you can help me get to an English version of that page I will try again. But I cant figure out what to cut and paste on the Chinese site.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kelzanelie:

Once you've got ameho's file, you can forget the Chinese, everything you need to know is in the quote.

Aletrnatively, since your device is jailbroken, you can do it with dsmid's file: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=23

Download the old update.zip attachment, extract it in the USB root of your device, and put the official update for the version you want to downgrade to in the update folder that was extracted. Eject, "Update Your Kindle", you should get a first nearly instantaneous update process, and then the real full update.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #38
Kelzanelie
Noob

Well, I figured out one part of it by reading more of the forums. Since my Kindle is a PW2 I can only download to a 5.4.0 - Which should still be low enough to read the software, right? I did follow the initial instructions from the link, but the update left it on the version I'm on. I've found another thread that gives more instructions, but I'm pretty worried that the instructions it gives are more complex than I can do.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Kelzanelie: depending on exactly what features of CM you rely on, you can get by with some early 5.4.2 version, IIRC (check CM's first post).

(Because, yeah, a downgrade to 5.4.0 is a completely different matter, and I'd recommend having experience with a more indestructible device (Kindle Touch) first ).

(And, yeah, you can't go lower than 5.4.x on a PW2, I completely missed that you were trying to do that, my bad! To avoid confusing other posters, please fix your profile to mention PaperWhite 2 (or PW2) . [Your first message was completely accurate on that front though, I just completely forgot to make the PW2 + 5.3 == big no-no connection ;/]).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-25-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #40
1Bookworm
Enthusiast
1Bookworm doesn't litter1Bookworm doesn't litter

Device: blackberry, laptop, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameho View Post
Download this file http://pan.baidu.com/s/1qW8nWwk

Extract to your kindle root path.
Paste the update file to the folder: update.
Update your kindle in the setting menu

Hi I'm trying to download to download Ameho's file but can't read Chinese and not sure which button press to download it. Can someone please help me as I would like to revert to 5.3.9. Thank you.
1Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #41
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bookworm View Post
Hi I'm trying to download to download Ameho's file but can't read Chinese and not sure which button press to download it. Can someone please help me as I would like to revert to 5.3.9. Thank you.
Here is ameho's downgrade. (Originally posted here.)

(Or use the one HERE if you are already jailbroken.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle_oldupdate_install.zip (1.5 KB, 2492 views)

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-29-2014 at 03:15 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #42
1Bookworm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Here is ameho's downgrade.

Thank you Eschwartz. No, I don't have jailbreak on my PW. I'm not computer literate and can only just about do what Amobe suggests
Old 06-13-2014, 03:40 AM   #43
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
In topic Snapshots of NiLuJe's hacks - see K5 Downgrader pack...
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #44
NiLuJe
BLAM!

(Note that that one is untested, based on dsmid's version, and thus only applicable to Jailbroken device ).
Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 AM   #45
1Bookworm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Here is ameho's downgrade.

Help - this didn't work for me.

This is what I did:-

1) I downloaded Ameho's downgrade
2) I copied update_kindle_5.3.9 into the update folder
3) I copied update_zh_$(cd mnt && cd us && sh zh.sh) and the update folder onto my PW
4) I then updated the kindle in the setting menu
5) The first time I got Error: 4 and the second time nothing happened.

Can someone please help me - I am also an extreme newbie. Thank you for your help.

Tags
downgrade