Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #4741
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
Love the comment that dino makes to the cop.
Me too.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #4742
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The comment...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Me too.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #4743
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Me too.

Now what? See what I mean?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #4744
Melon Soda
★ Enjoy Your Reads! ★
Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Desktop
Quote:
Now what? See what I mean?

I was going to give my too, but... okay.....

Quote:
Sometimes it is sad to reread Dresden Files - the wait for the next book will be so long. I am starting to think Jim is slow on purpose - he used to be faster. To distract myself I am reading a lot of different books and genres. Maybe not so much all different - it is mostly SF now. But different from urban fantasy. Not sure if I want to try a different world than The Dresdenverse. At the moment it is Breakthrough by Michael C. Grumley.
I am actually more of a mystery/thriller/suspense kind of reader, but Dresden Files got me more interested in the Fantasy genre. So now I've been trying out a number of other fantasy series like the Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne, Remy Chandler by Thomas E. Sniegoski, Alex Verus by Benedict Jacka, Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch and Nightside series by Simon R Green, among a few others. Of course, it's inevitable that I sometimes end up comparing with the Dresden Files but I think some of them are different enough to hold up on their own. I just started on the Nightside series and I really hate it when I start enjoying a series, want to get the books, and Kobo has to make it harder to get them for cheap (okay, so I'm a cheapo).

Dino now has a new line.

Luckily I've already gotten my Dresden File e-books!

Last edited by Melon Soda; 10-23-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Melon Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #4745
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Soda View Post

I am actually more of a mystery/thriller/suspense kind of reader, but Dresden Files got me more interested in the Fantasy genre. So now I've been trying out a number of other fantasy series like the Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne, Remy Chandler by Thomas E. Sniegoski, Alex Verus by Benedict Jacka, Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch and Nightside series by Simon R Green, among a few others. Of course, it's inevitable that I sometimes end up comparing with the Dresden Files but I think some of them are different enough to hold up on their own. I just started on the Nightside series and I really hate it when I start enjoying a series, want to get the books, and Kobo has to make it harder to get them for cheap (okay, so I'm a cheapo).

Dino now has a new line.

Luckily I've already gotten my Dresden File e-books!
Hmmmm....the only one of those I've read is Alex Verus (all 5 of them).

You will get moderated for posting an oversize picture (600x600 is the max allowed here).

Last edited by alansplace; 10-23-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Advert
Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #4746
Melon Soda
★ Enjoy Your Reads! ★
Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Melon Soda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Desktop
Quote:
You will get moderated for posting an oversize picture (600x600 is the max allowed here).
Thanks for the warning! Edited!
Melon Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #4747
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Soda View Post
Oh no, what have I done.
Quote:
I just started on the Nightside series and I really hate it when I start enjoying a series, want to get the books, and Kobo has to make it harder to get them for cheap (okay, so I'm a cheapo).
Me too. I usually go cheap as well - lately I limit myself to KU books. Enough great stuff in there - plus it already pays for itself as many books as my wife reads. Next Dresden book will be bought outright though.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #4748
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I don't Tweet and spend only enough time on Facebook to see how my out-of-town friends and family are.

For those of you who are more involved in following all the various social media Butcher has...can you tell me - did he always intend the series to go the way it is?

I remember when it came out I thought it would be more episodic. Sort of like a Police Procedural, but set in world with magic. I actually got frustrated when he started going into the politics of the wizard council and the vampire courts...and especially the Fae world (which seemed too close to "regular" fantasy for my tastes).

I don't remember if they came out at the same time, but I remember thinking the same thing of Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series - the first couple of books seemed to be mostly mysteries (with the overarcing story of her issue with her aunt).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:24 AM   #4749
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I don't Tweet and spend only enough time on Facebook to see how my out-of-town friends and family are.

For those of you who are more involved in following all the various social media Butcher has...can you tell me - did he always intend the series to go the way it is?

I remember when it came out I thought it would be more episodic. Sort of like a Police Procedural, but set in world with magic. I actually got frustrated when he started going into the politics of the wizard council and the vampire courts...and especially the Fae world (which seemed too close to "regular" fantasy for my tastes).

I don't remember if they came out at the same time, but I remember thinking the same thing of Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series - the first couple of books seemed to be mostly mysteries (with the overarcing story of her issue with her aunt).
Jim wrote Storm Front as an assignment when he was in a College Writing Program (after getting his undergraduate degree). He submitted several of the initial chapters of the book and was told by his professor that it was of sellable quality to a publisher. He finished the book and also made an outline of a planned series of 20 books to be ended by an additional 3 books (a trilogy of winding up stuff) and submitted it as well as the initial book. He says that he's still following that outline.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-25-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #4750
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Nope, I didn't see that message, where did you see it?
That was my point, I haven't heard a thing in quite some times (beside the tweet to tell him to hurry up). A bit worrying actually as he as claiming it was almost done quite some time ago...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #4751
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Twitter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That was my point, I haven't heard a thing in quite some times (beside the tweet to tell him to hurry up). A bit worrying actually as he as claiming it was almost done quite some time ago...
I don't have an account on either Facebook or Twitter so I don't/can't post or tweet. But anyone with a twitter account can ask @priscellie (she's one of Jim's beta reader team members as well as his webmaster) on twitter.

Or for that matter just ask Jim, @longshotauthor directly.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-24-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #4752
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
I am starting to think Jim is slow on purpose - he used to be faster.
I remember reading that he alternates between projects to prevent burn out. So at most every other book is a Dresden one.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #4753
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Harry & Morgan

Last edited by alansplace; 10-24-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #4754
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Spoiler:
I miss Morgan
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #4755
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dead Beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I am seriously considering reading Dead Beat just because it is almost Halloween. It always gets me in the mood...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing today.
I don't have much time for reading these days, and I have about six new series to start, so I don't want to get into anything new.
Maybe it's time to saddle up Sue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Quote:
Quite honestly I never thought of that, in fact I never have thought of a single book re-read concerning 'The Dresden Files'! But I think you guys may have altered my thinking! Hmmmm....
Okay! I'm in! I just started my Halloween Holiday re-read of Dead Beat and in the first chapter there's a paragraph that elicited a big belly laugh along with some warm cuddlies from me! It was this:
Quote:
A shaggy section of the kitchen floor hauled itself to its feet and came to meet me with a sheepish, sleepy shuffle. My dog, Mouse, had started off as fuzzy little grey puppy that fit into my coat pocket. Now, almost a year later, I sometimes wished I’d sent my coat to the cleaners or something. Mouse had gone from fuzz ball to fuzz barge. You couldn’t guess at a breed to look at him, but at least one of his parents must have been a wooly mammoth. The dog’s shoulders came nearly to my waist, and the vet didn’t think he was finished growing yet. That translated into an awful lot of beast for my tiny apartment.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy