Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Will BN have an answer to Kindle Paperwhite?

Probably even better than Kindle Paperwhite.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 01-19-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
They already have the Nook Glowlight. Is that what you mean?
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Not only do they have Nook Glowlight. Nook Glowlight was out waaay before Kindle Papewhite!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
The Kobo Glo and Kindle Paperwhite both have 1024x768 displays compared to the Nook's 800x600 display. It's been rumored that there will be a next generation Nook Glow with a higher resolution this spring, but nothing's been announced.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
palazzo
Enthusiast
palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I was wondering about this. I'm finding not having physical buttons on the Kindle Paperwhite is bugging me more than I thought. The Nook Glow is tempting, but I can live without buttons for a couple of months if there's a good likelihood of a new Nook before, say, the summer is out.
palazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Barnes & Noble generally revs their eink line in the spring/early summer (let's say by May/June) and their tablet line in the fall. It's a pretty safe bet that there'll be an updated Glow in the spring/early summer time frame this year, with the new higher resolution eink screen and better lighting. Whether or not it will keep the physical buttons is unknown.

Unless you have to have it now, I'd wait. Or see if you can find a good deal on a refurbished or used Glow.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
palazzo
Enthusiast
palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.palazzo can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
OK, I can be patient. Mostly.

But if the next Nook doesn't have physical buttons that might signal another nail in the coffin of buttons, as it were.
palazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Snow Sciles
Connoisseur
Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snow Sciles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STG, PW2
Has there been any news on this update of the Nook? I'm thinking of buying a glowlight as they're currently on sale for £89, but I'm not sure if I should leave it and wait. It'll be my first e-ink reader.
Snow Sciles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Sciles View Post
Has there been any news on this update of the Nook? I'm thinking of buying a glowlight as they're currently on sale for £89, but I'm not sure if I should leave it and wait. It'll be my first e-ink reader.
In my opinion, you should wait, if a glowlight is what you want.

Currently, their glowlight is - in my opinion - an inferior product because of the screen display [1024x768 displays for the Kindle paperwhite and the Kobo Glo, compared to the Nook's 800x600 display] in addition to the older technology for the lighting.

Once the new Glowlight comes out, then one can presume that it will once again be competitive with the current ebook readers that have the newer screens and a better performance in the area of lighting technology.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
+1 what the good doctor just said!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
Katy Did
Katy Did began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook STG
Hmmm. I didn't wait and chose to get a Nook Glow instead of a PW or Kobo Glo at Christmas, having looked at all three e-readers in store. I can only say I'm very happy with it, the screen is great, and I love the light. I find it easier on my eyes than the harsher, whiter light of the other two. I hear a lot about the screen resolution being worse, but frankly I'm not convinced the difference is huge; despite having a lower screen resolution, when I compared my Kindle Keyboard to the lit e-readers in store, it beat all of them for sharp text and clear background. So my thinking is that if having the best display in terms of sharp, clear text is a priority, a non-lit reader is the way to go; a slightly muddier display is the trade-off you make for the light with all the front-lit e-readers. Despite this, I find myself using my Nook to read 90% of the time, because it's such a nice e-reader to use.

But in answer to your main question, there doesn't seem to be any indication that a new Nook release is imminent (perhaps others have more idea on that one). 89 pounds is a very good price. I suppose it depends how long you want to wait, and when the next Nook is realistically likely to come out (and then how long it will take to be available in the UK, presumably where you'd be buying it).

Last edited by Katy Did; 03-25-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
pwnn
Enthusiast
pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Touch
B&N has just discounted all it's Nook Touch/Glow covers to $15 or less. The last time they did this was two years ago when the Touch came out because of a change in model and hence cover dimensions. For the last two years they've introduced the new ink models in April in time for Mother's Day. So I'd suggest you wait a month.
pwnn is offline   Reply With Quote