Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
oritbj
oritbj began at the beginning.

Device: Samsun Tablet GT-P7510
Application not licensed

hello all

ok, so this is just odd.... I bought CC from google play tonight for my Samsung Tablet GT-P7510, and for hours I've been trying to figure out what is going on with this app. I followed all the instructions on this forum and triple checked and I am just lost.

first it will not connect obviously but the reason is two fold, different errors from the device and calibre on my laptop.

this is the bug report from my laptop

calibre, version 0.9.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Device responded with incorrect information

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 497, in _sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 50, in _synchronizer
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 949, in free_space
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 552, in _call_client
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 594, in _receive_from_client
ControlError: Device responded with incorrect information

calibre, version 0.9.0
ERROR: Problem starting the wireless device: The wireless device driver did not start. It said "Failed to allocate a random port"

and this is the message I'm getting on my Samsung Tablet is this

which is really really odd as you can see I AM connected to the internet, you can see that on the bottom of the pic... I just don't get it. I even went so far as to forward ports 8000-9090 on my router. I could really use some help.

thank you very much
oritbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The other reason that licensing fails is that your google credentials (google account username and password) on your tablet are not the same as those you used when you purchased CC on google play. Transferring the APK from another device with different credentials will not work.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
oritbj

I only have the one account on google play and I bought the app on the table, didn't transfer it from anywhere.

Last edited by oritbj; 09-30-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All I can say is that either your device is not contacting google play or google play is telling CC that your installation is not licensed. There is no workaround for this.

If you have set the google account credentials correctly, then another possibility is that your device is not being allowed to talk to google's license servers. This can happen if there is a firewall on your device, for example DroidWall, or if your wireless connection does not permit internet access.

If you have checked all of this and still cannot make it work, then we will refund your money. In CC, touch the menu button (the three dots), select Help, then Email. This will create an email message to my son Steven, who deals with google play. Give him your google play account id (email address), the approximate time of purchase, and if you can the google play transaction number. He will give you a refund.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

More information from my son: "Sometimes uninstalling CC and then doing "clear data" on the Google Play app (from the main settings menu, manage apps, Google Play), works as it removes a saved bogus response and forces google play to do full recheck."

So, he is saying:
  1. Uninstall CC
  2. Go to Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Services and press the Clear Data button
  3. Reinstall CC
  4. Try to run it.

He said that this has worked for some of people over the last few weeks. I hope this works for you.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
oritbj

Sight.... I don't want a refund I want it to work I tried what you suggested and nothing worked. I just don't understand it, I installed it on my phone and it works perfectly but the tablet still says the same license thing. I don't have an AV or firewall installed, not that I personally installed, is there one that comes with the tablet that I don't know about?

in the anti virus avast on my laptop, I made exclusions for calibre and marked the whole folder. the windows firewall asked for permission the first time and I clicked yes and checked that its actually there. I just don't understand this.

will it help if I contact google play support? maybe they can do something? idk how this works, is this problem from the app or from google play or from my own tablet... just really sad
Old 09-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oritbj View Post
I installed it on my phone and it works perfectly but the tablet still says the same license thing.
OK, now we know that your network can talk to the google play servers, so the problem must be in the tablet.

What version of Android is your tablet running?

Please check again that your tablet has a Google Account (under Settings/Accounts), and that this google account has the same username and password that you used when you logged into google play to buy CC. Newer versions of Android support multiple Google accounts, but older versions do not. I don't remember when this changed. I can say that Android 4 and up do support multiple accounts.

If you have multiple google accounts set up, then make sure that the right account is chosen in google play. Open the Play Store application, tap the menu button, and choose accounts. Make sure that the correct account is visible and "checked" (has a dot next to it).

While in the google play store on your tablet, search for "calibre companion". Open the app description page. You should see two buttons across the top, "Uninstall" and "Open". If you don't see the Uninstall button then google play does not know you have installed the app. I don't think that GP does a license check here, but at least this tells us if GP even sees the app.
Quote:
in the anti virus avast on my laptop, I made exclusions for calibre and marked the whole folder. the windows firewall asked for permission the first time and I clicked yes and checked that its actually there. I just don't understand this.
This is a problem on the tablet. The fact that your phone works means that your PC is set up correctly.
Quote:
will it help if I contact google play support? maybe they can do something? idk how this works, is this problem from the app or from google play or from my own tablet... just really sad
I don't think that contacting Google Play will help, at least not yet.

Steven (my son) is the expert on all of this. I brought him into the loop. He has been busy all day, but should be able to provide some guidance tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
oritbj

my android version is 3.2 and it says there is no update.
I only have one google play account not multiple and it is set correctly, CC is not the only app I ever bought from GP.
it dose show "open" and "uninstall" on google play.

tried all of what you suggested, still no go I'm gona be patient and wait for Steven to get some free time to look at this. thank you for trying so hard to help me.

Last edited by oritbj; 09-30-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritbj View Post
my android version is 3.2 and it says there is no update.
I only have one google play account not multiple and it is set correctly, CC is not the only app I ever bought from GP.
it dose show "open" and "uninstall" on google play.

tried all of what you suggested, still no go I'm gona be patient and wait for Steven to get some free time to look at this. thank you for trying so hard to help me.
Hi Orit, this is very perplexing. If you've done a clear-data on the Google Play app on your tablet, and uninstalled/reinstalled Calibre Companion, and yet you're still getting the licensing problem, then that means that Google Play is specifically telling us that your purchase is invalid. I haven't a clue why that would be, if GP thinks your purchase *is* valid on your phone.

(The reason we ask to uninstall Calibre Companion, then clear data on the GP app and finally reinstall CC is that both our app and the Google Play app on your device save the licensed/unlicensed message the main Google server sends when you first try. Sometimes it takes the main Google server a while to realise that your purchase worked, so it sends a "Not licensed" message, which is then saved on your device for some time. The copy of the message on your device is then what is checked next time you try launching the app, rather than asking the main Google Play servers again. By clearing data on the Google Play app on your device and uninstalling/reinstalling, we make absolutely sure that it asks the servers again rather than checking an old message.)

Anyway. I'm not sure what to suggest right this moment... I'll keep thinking if there's anything we can do and get back to you as soon as I have another idea.

Actually, I did just have another question - what phone are you using, which worked, and which version of Android does it have? (Sorry if you've already answered this somewhere!)
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
oritbj

I have done the uninstall-clear data-reinstall over 20 times by this point haha still hopping it will just snap to a working order by sheer luck xD

Anyways, I'm using Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100 with Android version of 2.3.6 at this point it can't be updated (phone company issue) but as I've told you it works perfectly on my phone.

My tablet is Samsung GT-P7510 with Android version 3.2 also can't be update, I know there is a new version but for some reason it says it has no updates (same with Kies).

oh I got your email reply
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

The calibre companion content server test version mentioned in this post has some changes that might make it work for you. You are welcome to try it. Follow the directions in the post.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
ellett
Connoisseur
ellett began at the beginning.

Device: Android
I just converted my Nook Color from Cyanogen(mod) 7 to Cyanogen(mod) 9 and am now experiencing the exact same problem, with no cure among the suggested remedies.
ellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellett View Post
I just converted my Nook Color from Cyanogen(mod) 7 to Cyanogen(mod) 9 and am now experiencing the exact same problem, with no cure among the suggested remedies.
Sorry, but we cannot support non-standard android ROMs. There is no way we can know what they do or don't do and how they integrate with GP licensing. And even if we could figure it out, there is probably little we could do to fix anything.

For licensing to work you must have installed the google play application suite, and in particular Google Play Services. Have you done this?

Given that mod 9 is ICS, the changes I mentioned above for handling licensing will not have any effect. If you have installed GP services and if it doesn't start to work by itself in a short time (google play server delays), then the only thing you can do is go back to mod 7.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
oritbj

I'd be happy to try it, how will you send it to me? should I PM you my email or?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
oritbj

I restarted Calibre in debug mode and thought you should at least take a look at the report. it might help?

tmpdymecx.txt