Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
teelu
Edge User

some issues with dolphin browser

I downloaded Dolphin browser and also chose it as the default browser.

Now I was trying to attach a webpage to a pdf document but when I press 'Menu' (to get an option to attach) ............ it gives me a hazy second screen with a hand and letter 'M' in the center . Asking me to 'gesture' some command shortcut???

Option to attach or other menu commands dont show up?

Questions
1. Whats going on here ? How do I get around this?

2. How do I revert back to make the old browser default?

thx

Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
done
Edge User

Moving thread to Android Apps section.

Last edited by done; 04-07-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
cheyennedonna
Edge User

If you open the default browser it should tell you it's not default and let you change that. If all else fails you can uninstall and reinstall Dolphin, leaving the Android browser as default.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I actually took it off my phone because of space constraints but if you click menu a little page/box will open at the bottom. Choose settings and you can customize all the gesture settings there, choose Gesture settings, as well as uncheck the set as default browser button, silly me. You might want to uncheck enable auto rotate, there is no accelerometer on the Edge. And I don't think you can add gesture commands yet.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
mgm1979
Edge User

actually, I've noticed the "menu" within Dolphin doesn't fit exactly to the eDGe Screen - I only get about half of the top row of buttons sometimes.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I have to wait till I get my Edge back then

I can't play with it till I get my Edge back, bummer. When I do I will post findings, and again like all the apps I tried I got mine off my G1, current market version is 2.5.0

Old 04-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
dcubed2
Edge User

Hmm, I've never seen the gray screen. I've only used (extensively) the browser, search and bookmarks though. For me, the menu button brings up a menu at the bottom of the screen and under 'More' are the settings. I don't know how to find the version # of the one I'm using.

Oh, and I've never tried to do anything 'fancy' like linking a web site to a pdf ;-)

Old 04-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
dcubed2
Edge User

And, I use the menu *all* the time. Dolphin does unexpectedly hides my tabs and I need to use the menu button to click on show tabs. The items in my bottom menu are: Go, Add Bookmark (works great!), Start Page, Windows, Refresh, Share Page, Hide/Show Tabs, and More. Under More are Forward, Read it later, Find on page, Subscribe RSS, Downloads, Compact Page, Select Text, Settings, and Exit.

Occasionally, there isn't a Show tabs option. I have no idea why, but it has happened.

Again, I've only done very basic stuff. Gmail, web browsing, using tabs, bookmarking - that type of stuff. But, I've done it a lot. I will say that it's hit or miss with desktop versions of web pages. Sometimes I'll be in the desktop version of, say, Amazon and I'll click on something and, presto, I'm in the mobile version. So, it isn't great for using all desktop pages.

But, oh how I love tabs :-)

Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Try using menu in landscape mode

Try landscape mode, the Edge bar may be in your way.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
dcubed2
Edge User

I'll try it in landscape - do the desktop versions work better in landscape?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #11
sarah11918
Edge User

There's an option in Dolphin Browser to customize the gestures which also shows the list of recognized gestures. I don't have my eDGe on right now, but if you tap the little picture of the hand, then it expects you to give it a gesture. One of the options at that point should be to customize the gestures. (Or try getting there through the menu button). When you get to that menu, it will show you a list of all the gesturable (?) functions, and show you the gestures currently associated with each one which you can edit.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 AM   #12
ckole
Edge User

I switched to landscape mode and can barely see the menus. I was able to add some customization to the gestures but it seems like I still have to press menu first then the gesture. Need to look at what version I have.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
10tklz
Edge User

In landscape mode I am able to see the tops of the menu buttons as well, dolphin has so many more customization options than the default browser! Does anyone know how I can link the desktop browser button to dolphin? I suspect its not possible now but I'm hoping... Regarding disappearing tabs, I have found that if I double-tap on the screen the tabs reappear. I hope that helps someone.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
VenturingSoul
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcubed2 View Post
And, I use the menu *all* the time. Dolphin does unexpectedly hides my tabs and I need to use the menu button to click on show tabs. The items in my bottom menu are: Go, Add Bookmark (works great!), Start Page, Windows, Refresh, Share Page, Hide/Show Tabs, and More. Under More are Forward, Read it later, Find on page, Subscribe RSS, Downloads, Compact Page, Select Text, Settings, and Exit.

Occasionally, there isn't a Show tabs option. I have no idea why, but it has happened.

Again, I've only done very basic stuff. Gmail, web browsing, using tabs, bookmarking - that type of stuff. But, I've done it a lot. I will say that it's hit or miss with desktop versions of web pages. Sometimes I'll be in the desktop version of, say, Amazon and I'll click on something and, presto, I'm in the mobile version. So, it isn't great for using all desktop pages.

But, oh how I love tabs :-)
I have found that "double-clicking" the screen in Dolphin causes it to go to fullscreen mode, hiding your tabs bar. Another double-click restores it.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #15
dcubed2
Edge User

Thanks! I do double click on purpose, but Dolphin still sometimes changes when all I'm trying to do is scroll. But it's easy to fix, now. I do wish there were page up and page down buttons, though.