Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Tags gone again

It just happened again.
I sent a book to my 505 and after a long wait for the formatting all the tags for books stored to my memory card are gone. That's over 200 books! Calibre no longer permits me to simply double click in the "tags" box and edit directly, which means deleting over 200 books from my card and loading them all over again.
Anyone have any other suggestions?
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
It just happened again.
I sent a book to my 505 and after a long wait for the formatting all the tags for books stored to my memory card are gone. That's over 200 books! Calibre no longer permits me to simply double click in the "tags" box and edit directly, which means deleting over 200 books from my card and loading them all over again.
Anyone have any other suggestions?
Calibre does let you edit tags directly on the device as long as you have it set to Manual Management under Preferences - Add/Save - Send to device.

Of course if you set it to Automatic Management and keep your tags under control, then deleting 200 and resending them only takes a couple of minutes.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on your problem. I am curious what version of calibre you are using and what your Metadata Management, under Preferences - Add/Save - Send to device, is set to?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using Calibre 0.7.3
I'm not sure what to set to "automatic management" because I don't see anything to adjust in the Add/Save area.
I have an old version of Calibre on an old laptop I haven't used in a while. I connected my 505 to it and changed that tags this morning. But, if there was a way I could do it in the version of Calibre I'm using now that would be great because this has happened about 4 times now. I load a new book and as my reader is formatting it just craps out, reboots and when it wakes up all the tags on the books stored on my mem stick are gone.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to upgrade to 0.7.10, various SONY driver related bugs have been fixed since 0.7.3
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I'm using Calibre 0.7.3

I have an old version of Calibre on an old laptop I haven't used in a while. I connected my 505 to it and changed that tags this morning. But, if there was a way I could do it in the version of Calibre I'm using now that would be great because this has happened about 4 times now.
You keep using a version not compatible with the way you maintain collections and this will happen 100 times!

If you have problems you can go to the change log to see if there have been any changes in subsequent versions to the area you're experiencing problems.

Since 0.7.3 the below changes were made to correct problems with the Sony driver.

Release: 0.7.4 [19 Jun, 2010]
Bug Fixes
  • SONY driver: Fix bug preventing the editing of collections in the device view
Release: 0.7.5 [25 Jun, 2010]
New Features
  • SONY driver: Add a preference setting in Preferences->Add/Save->Send to device to control how collections are managed on the device by calibre
Release: 0.7.6 [28 Jun, 2010]
Bug Fixes
  • SONY driver: Only update collections when sending book to device for the first time
Release: 0.7.7 [02 Jul, 2010]
Bug Fixes
  • SONY driver: Only update metadata when books are sent to device.
Release: 0.7.8 [09 Jul, 2010]
Bug Fixes
  • SONY driver: Only update the timestamp in the XML db for newly added books
Release: 0.7.9 [17 Jul, 2010]
Bug Fixes
  • SONY driver: Fix handling of invalid XML databases with null bytes
Here is a thread where the three new collection management options for the Sony were discussed for a week prior to release, Sony collection management changes in calibre 0.7.9.

As you can see it has been around a 4 weeks since the problems you're experiencing have been fixed.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-24-2010 at 11:44 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader

Thanks for the help.
I'll upgrade and stick to one version!