Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #91
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
After you've run the weather app at least once through telnet, you can start it from the kobo tweaks plugin by adding these lines to koboteaks.ini (in the .kobo folder on your Touch):
Code:
[CustomCommands]
Reboot=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.python/weather.sh\")
And also add this line to weather.sh (in the .python folder) right after the first line:
Code:
killall nickel
And yes, once you start the weather app you can't get back to the main Kobo interface without resetting the device.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #92
hercules
hercules began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Got it.
Thank you
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #93
weese
weese began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Hi Kevin,

you did a great job! And I was able to set the applet up on my Kobo Mini after some problems finding the right firmware (>=2.6 seems to be incompatible with pygame). Also it seems that the full_update binary leaves some artifacts of the previous page always.
However, I could fix that by the manual raw-file method. Now I try to set up an arm build chain (embedian doesn't work with Jessie) to adapt full_update and also to compile wakertc in order to turn the device on only for a couple of seconds each hour.

I extended your app and started a fork on bitbucket. If anyone can use it, be my guest! More information at:

http://bitbucket.org/david_weese/kobo-weather-app

Cheers,
Dave
weese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #94
z000ao8q
Connoisseur
z000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toys

Device: kobo mini
Hello,
interesting collection of all sh codings - including mine :-)

May I ask what you are trying to do? :-)
you took my sleep.sh where I calculate the next full hour.
then you take the timestamp and deduct that full hour again - so you got the current (history) full hour. and then you adding 10*60 seconds again on top.

- that is a historic value which cant be used.
- in connection to an hourly cron-job this will not work twice
- and then without a recompiled rtcwake (i did not find it in the fork) it does not work on the mini
- and then you still have the issue that rtcwake does not work unless you completely go to UTC

and I think you forgot to startup wifi in your updateAndSleep.sh

Last edited by z000ao8q; 07-12-2013 at 11:51 AM.
z000ao8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #95
weese

Hi,

as I explained in my INSTALL.text on bitbucket the whole cronjob/standby thing is on the todo list. Currently only the pure python script showing the weather forecast is working.

The scripts for computing the next hour wakeup time are shamelessly taken from http://www.scherello.de/?id=265. I couldn't test them yet.

Yes you are right without an arm build chain I won't be able to get rtcwake running. The same holds for the broken full_update binary which doesn't work on the Kobo Mini. That's the reason why I'm now setting up the chain as explained at http://blog.ringerc.id.au/2011/01/pr...nment-for.html

Have you overcome the rtcwake/full_update issues on the Kobo Mini already? Thanks for your comments, your help is appreciated.

Dave
Advert
Old 07-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #96
z000ao8q
Connoisseur
z000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toysz000ao8q shares his or her toys

Device: kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by weese View Post
The scripts for computing the next hour wakeup time are shamelessly taken from http://www.scherello.de/?id=265. I couldn't test them yet.
thats me :-)
and I can tell that they are working :-)
I just updated the documentation a little. you need to run a hwclock -s -u regularly. here, the systemclock was going out of sync up to 5sec per day

regarding rtcwake i will send you a PM. I need someone with the toolchain to get my workaround into a share-able version for everyone :-)
z000ao8q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #97
om4e
om4e began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi N647
I have an idea for another app, and that is an RSS updater. There are already python RSS/Atom Parsers, and all you really need to do is read an RSS list and save the documents. Not to mention the trigger to start the RSS update without the CMD, just like the weather app with BACK+HOME.

After the update the device could either restart to check for new material or just pop out and in the SD card.

I would love to start working on something like this because trying to get to Calibri sometimes isn't an option when traveling.
om4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #98
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An RSS reader was one of the first things I thought about doing on my Kobo Wifi. I did a bit of tinkering with the idea a while back, but I never did enough to get anywhere. I still think that it's a great idea.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #99
ddreier
ddreier began at the beginning.

After a frustrating several minutes of the weather app not working, I went back and read that pygame is broken with firmware >=2.6 which my brand-new Kobo Mini happily updated to immediately after connecting it to wifi.

Has there been any progress on getting pygame working with the newer firmwares?

FWIW, when I ./weather.sh it just stops. No errors, no messages (other than the set your location), nothing.
ddreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #100
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddreier View Post
After a frustrating several minutes of the weather app not working, I went back and read that pygame is broken with firmware >=2.6 which my brand-new Kobo Mini happily updated to immediately after connecting it to wifi.

Has there been any progress on getting pygame working with the newer firmwares?

FWIW, when I ./weather.sh it just stops. No errors, no messages (other than the set your location), nothing.
I'm working on it right now. I got python working on firmware 2.8, I just need to finish downloading and compiling pygame and then I'll upload it and post the download link.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #101
neonpolaris
neonpolaris began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
It looks like something changed at weather.gov which broke the script that I was using. Luckily for me, I see that there's a newer version of the script that already uses a different source for weather data.

I had customized my display a lot so I had to migrate the changes over, but it worked out and all is well. Thanks again for sharing your great work.
neonpolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #102
KevinShort
Addict

Yeah, weather.gov changed their API so my old script doesn't work anymore.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #103
pcapelo
pcapelo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
need help with my kobo.

Hi gang,

I had mine working for so long that when it stopped working i had no ideia what was going on.

what exactly changed, where can I get the new script and how can I install??

thanks in advance

PC
pcapelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #104
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcapelo View Post
Hi gang,

I had mine working for so long that when it stopped working i had no ideia what was going on.

what exactly changed, where can I get the new script and how can I install??

thanks in advance

PC
Hi, pcapelo, the new script mentioned is this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by weese View Post
Hi Kevin,

you did a great job! And I was able to set the applet up on my Kobo Mini after some problems finding the right firmware (>=2.6 seems to be incompatible with pygame). Also it seems that the full_update binary leaves some artifacts of the previous page always.
However, I could fix that by the manual raw-file method. Now I try to set up an arm build chain (embedian doesn't work with Jessie) to adapt full_update and also to compile wakertc in order to turn the device on only for a couple of seconds each hour.

I extended your app and started a fork on bitbucket. If anyone can use it, be my guest! More information at:

http://bitbucket.org/david_weese/kobo-weather-app

Cheers,
Dave
It was made for the Kobo Mini and I haven't tried it on my Wifi, so I don't know if it would work.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #105
weese

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
Hi, pcapelo, the new script mentioned is this one:

It was made for the Kobo Mini and I haven't tried it on my Wifi, so I don't know if it would work.
Hi, the reason why the weather apps suddenly stopped working is that worldweatheronline changed their API and we not yet adapted our XML parsers accordingly. I will start fixing it next week.

@Kevin: I could only try Mini and Touch and don't know if the wifi works as well. The only possibly difference might be the way the eink must be updated. I couldn't use your binary for my mini and touch but created my own (full_update). Maybe you have a minute to try full_update on your Wifi?

Tags
hacking, kobo wifi