Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505
How do I install the prs+ upgrade?

I haven't made a change on my 505 in over a year, and frankly, I can't remember how to make upgrades or anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, an update. I've downloaded the universal flasher and extracted the files to the SD card, but when I insert it into the reader, nothing happens. I never see a "run Script" prompt. What can I do to make the reader run the script?
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I just checked this thread to see if anyone had come up with a simple non-tech step by step easy to understand answer.

Maybe this question needs to go on the end of the specific sticky for the prs + ? I'm no help as I have no experience with it.

Hopefully, someone will try to answer.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Support threads are mentioned on the first page of the PRS+ project:
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/

Installation guide is also available, installing is as easy as extracting zip file to SD card and following simple instructions on the screen:
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/InstallGuide

And last, even PRS+ installer is shown on the first page:
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thank you, Kartu!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
dow
Addict

Thanks Kartu, but I've already read through all of that. Unfortunately, I can't get to the point where any of this will help me. The problem that I'm experiencing is that the flasher never runs when I put the SD in the reader. I've tried putting the card in after booting, before booting, after reseting the reader, before reseting the reader. For some reason, the "Run Script" option never comes up. Is there some specific sequence of button pushes that I need to do to get the flasher to run? Or is there some place where I can "turn the SD scanning on? I've read that you need to "Enable SD/MS card scanning in PRS+ if you've previously disabled it," but I don't know where I'd look for that setting, and I don't think that I've ever installed PRS+ before.

Thanks,
Dow
Old 05-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
dow
Quote:
Is there some specific sequence of button pushes that I need to do to get the flasher to run?
No.

Quote:
Or is there some place where I can "turn the SD scanning on?
You don't have this option, if you don't have PRS+.

Your PRS+ Installer folder structure should look like this:

├─PRSPInstaller
│ └─Sony Reader
│ └software
│ ├─firmware
│ │ └─505
│ ├─languages
│ ├─script
│ │ └─addons
│ │ ├─FiveBalls
│ │ │ └─skins
│ │ ├─Mahjong
│ │ │ └─skins
│ │ └─Sudoku
│ │ ├─skins
│ │ └─sudoku

If you have no luck with SD card, you could try installing from internal memory (simply put installer on IM instead of SD card)

Last edited by kartu; 05-08-2010 at 11:18 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
1) Have you checked the SD card works elsewhere? Does your SD card slot in the Sony work?
I have a SD card that on every other device it works fine but not the Sony. Don't know why, even after reformatting it. Try another card.
2) I assume you unzipped the software to the SD card and didn't just copy the ziped file across?
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
dow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
dow

If you have no luck with SD card, you could try installing from internal memory (simply put installer on IM instead of SD card)
I just tried that, and it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
1) Have you checked the SD card works elsewhere? Does your SD card slot in the Sony work?
I have a SD card that on every other device it works fine but not the Sony. Don't know why, even after reformatting it. Try another card.
2) I assume you unzipped the software to the SD card and didn't just copy the ziped file across?
Well, it works in a SD reader, it works in two different laptops, and it shows up as a hard drive when I plug my reader in to my computer, but for some reason the reader itself doesn't do anything except flicker when I plug the card in or unplug it.

The bummer is that I bought this card last week specifically to use to flash the reader.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yep, I have an SD card that does just the same...The Sony just doesn't see it. (a 1Gb Crucial)
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
dow
Addict

Mine is a Kodak branded Lexar, 2 gb. I talked to the folks at Office Max, and they said that I could bring it back and exchange it for another one. I'm thinking that I'll get a sandisk this time.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Make sure you don't transfer the PRS+ files to the card via the device, this wont work. Use a memory card slot or card reader. Also I find that formatting the SD card before transferring the PRS+ files also ensures the card is read correctly.
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburnt View Post
Make sure you don't transfer the PRS+ files to the card via the device, this wont work.
This will/does work fine. For that matter you can install PRS+ from internal memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburnt View Post
Use a memory card slot or card reader. Also I find that formatting the SD card before transferring the PRS+ files also ensures the card is read correctly.
I have handled every hack installed by using the reader to transfer files to the SD card. Out of habit (no sound reason) I make sure about half of internal memory is free and I do use an empty SD card.

A USB drive is a USB drive whether you put the card in a memory card slot of a computer or a memory card slot in the reader.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
mattgb
mattgb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Did you extract the folder structure?

I just dragged & dropped from WinZip the first time - forgot that the folder structure is then destroyed - & of course nothing will then happen on reboot. Doh!

So, if you're using WinZip you will need to:
1. Open the zip file up in WinZip & then click on the Extract button.
2. Select the appropriate drive for your Reader's internal memory (in my case H:\)
3. Click Extract button.

This archive will then be extracted with the folder structure intact. Once done disconnect your reader & the installer should launch.
mattgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
dave45
dave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
success

Just loaded PRS+ successfully on my PRS505 - thanks guys !

It seized up on the first screen when installing from internal memory (wouldn't get past selecting the language), but ran just fine when I moved the installer to the SD card.

Delighted to find cyrillic is built in... thought it was an extra process :-)
dave45 is offline   Reply With Quote