Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #331
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
the New Oxford did not have a definition for "floccinaucinihilipilificator" (found in the book I'm currently reading.

but this
http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...lipilification
was found online
Reading a lot of Heinlein, are we?
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 AM   #332
topnotch
topnotch began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Just a question about the newest Stanza (3.2).
I'm on the 4S running iOS 5, love that stanza is finally alive again, but now whenever I return to the library page it will always bring me back to the top of the list. It's a small problem, but having 230+ books on the list and it keeps bringing me back to the top is a bit annoying.

My question is that, is there an option to make it so that it will go back to the last book I opened instead of always taking me back to the top?
topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #333
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredipusRex View Post
Reading a lot of Heinlein, are we?
You caught me!
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #334
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Still dead for iOS4

I don't know if it's only me, but Stanza latest version 3.2 doesnt work on my Ipad2.
It is still iOS4.3.3, not updated since it is jailbroken (waiting for JB in iOS5).

I launch it and it returns after an instant to the home screen. The app results still running, but cannot be accessed.

alessandro
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #335
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
I don't know if it's only me, but Stanza latest version 3.2 doesnt work on my Ipad2.
It is still iOS4.3.3, not updated since it is jailbroken (waiting for JB in iOS5).

I launch it and it returns after an instant to the home screen. The app results still running, but cannot be accessed.
Not just you. Stanza 3.2 only works on iOS5. Hopefully, you kept an older version of Stanza on iTunes on your PC.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #336
Cruizer
Cruizer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Is it just me or does anyone experience a problem when pinching (zoom in/zoom out) on PDF files? I have Stanza on an iPad 2 runnning iOS 5, and it's the only problem I'm having right now. Pinching works okay on ePubs though.
Cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #337
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Not just you. Stanza 3.2 only works on iOS5. Hopefully, you kept an older version of Stanza on iTunes on your PC.
of corse I didnt
do you know of any other way???

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #338
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizer View Post
Is it just me or does anyone experience a problem when pinching (zoom in/zoom out) on PDF files? I have Stanza on an iPad 2 runnning iOS 5, and it's the only problem I'm having right now. Pinching works okay on ePubs though.
Known to be broken on non-epub files, yes.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #339
andrea345
andrea345 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
wow Philanthrop. Thanks to both you and Cruizer. I just ran into this last night. I was so tired, I thought there was just a "normal" crash. I appreciate knowing it's not, so thank you both for posting.
andrea345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #340
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't systematically tested this yet, but searching on words does not seem to work properly--it will identify the place, but when you tap on it, Stanza goes somewhere else. It's much like Shubooks in that regard.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #341
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
I haven't systematically tested this yet, but searching on words does not seem to work properly--it will identify the place, but when you tap on it, Stanza goes somewhere else. It's much like Shubooks in that regard.
You have to "aim" very, very carefully (or grow smaller fingers! ;-) ). It's not a bug but the touch UI being very sensitive.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #342
lingchi9
Banned
lingchi9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
or you can download it again from website.
lingchi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #343
flitbee
flitbee began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I accidentally upgraded to the latest version of Stanza on my 4.3.3 and now I can't read any books. Is there any way to get the previous version of stanza?
flitbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #344
Kattermole
Kattermole began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Stanza and iBook

After the sad, tragic loss of Stanza, I experimented with iBooks. It doesn't have anything like the bells and whistles of Stanza, but it is an awful lot prettier. Being forced to explore, I found a few things on iBooks that I didn't know about. For instance, like Stanza, it has Groups, though it doesn't have an automatic "currently reading".

Did Stanza always have the editing facilities it has now? Did I miss them all this time? And the ability to let you add your favorite eBook sources?

Anyhow, just thought I would mention that I am now torn between iBooks and Stanza.

It is a worry that maybe, when the inevitable system updates come, Stanza will yet again become unusable.

I guess nothing is perfect.

Kat
Kattermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:17 AM   #345
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattermole View Post
After the sad, tragic loss of Stanza, I experimented with iBooks. It doesn't have anything like the bells and whistles of Stanza, but it is an awful lot prettier. Being forced to explore, I found a few things on iBooks that I didn't know about. For instance, like Stanza, it has Groups, though it doesn't have an automatic "currently reading".

Did Stanza always have the editing facilities it has now? Did I miss them all this time? And the ability to let you add your favorite eBook sources?

Anyhow, just thought I would mention that I am now torn between iBooks and Stanza.

It is a worry that maybe, when the inevitable system updates come, Stanza will yet again become unusable.

I guess nothing is perfect.

Kat
iBooks has plenty of its own problems
  • No "night" or white-on-black mode (sorry, invert colors via the accessibility settings is not a valid option). This one right here is a deal-breaker. The rest are just icing.
  • Gigantic margins. Like ridiculously huge. That's not so terrible on an iPad, but on a phone or ipod it's terrible. This is a direct result of the useless chrome iBooks uses to look more like a paper book. If the stack of page edges actually reflected your position in the book I might overlook it, but they don't are just there for show. Form follows function, not the other way around. Apple got this wrong. The rest of the software industry toyed with the "make the interface look like a real object" concept back in the 90s but stopped because they realized that's dumb. Apple shouldn't have tried to bring it back.
  • Limited font selection.
  • Limited customization (spacing between paragraphs, indentation, line spacing, etc)
  • The iBooks store is pretty bad, and though they chose to use industry-standard EPub they've wrapped it in their own DRM. And their EPub implementation has plenty of issues and not standard behaviors, often breaking on perfectly valid books.
  • No OPDS support. Calibre's content server is so much more convenient than having to push stuff to iTunes to sync.

Lastly, and this is a big one, don't forget that iBooks is the whole reason we have the whole Agency Pricing cartel scheme. If not for that, we'd be able to buy new ebooks for $10 or less, other sellers could compete on price, run sales without publisher approval, etc. Even if iBooks was the most perfect ereader in the world, I'd never use it simply because of that. It's set the industry back at least 5 years, if not more, and it will be a long, hard uphill struggle just to get back to the state the industry was in 2009.

Support other readers that are actively working to push the industry forward, not hold it back like Apple's doing.

Last edited by toddos; 11-19-2011 at 03:19 AM.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza