Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Cgray
Cgray began at the beginning.

Device: none
B&N nook color long term warrenty-- get or not?

HAve a friend who is possibly picking up a nook color for me, being as I fixed his 1967 dodge dart engine for free. (well other than renting the lift to get the engine out, I'm fit, but I ain't that strong ).

Now, I've been thinking about the B&N extended warrenty, which claims to replace your nook if anything bad happens to it. However, the contract includes limitations to that-- the ADH doesn't cover: theft, mysteroius disappearence, misplacement, viruses, reckless , abusive, willful or intentional conduct associated wth handling and use of the product, cosmetic damage, and/or damage that doesnot affect the unit functionality. Replacement is limited to one replacement during the time of this contract.

that seems like a pretty limiting "automatic replacement contract" as was mentioned by the people at B&N and it's also over 1/4th the cost of the unit itself.
Does it seem like a good idea, or just stick with the basic manufacturers warranty?
Cgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I have little ones at home and I want them to be able to use the Read To Me NOOKbooks, so I needed one. I went to SquareTrade.com and got a warranty for half the price. There are coupon codes listed somewhere on this site. I would do a search for square trade. I paid $30 for 2 years.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Tracer
Tracer began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook and Nook Color (Rooted)
When I got my NC at Walmart they offered me a 2 yr warranty (3 yr total) for $20. I've got 90 days to get it and am seriously considering it even though I usually think extended warranties are not worth it. Discussion appreciated.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
I also got the Square Trade Warranty to replace it in case of accidental mishandling.

I have heard many good reports from people who have used Square trade and had to get a Kindle replaced when they broke it by dropping it or some other accident. Square Trade sent a check quickly and they were able to get a new one.

I have cats who like to knock things off of bookcases. I just want to be able to replace my Color Nook if something happens, most likely an accident...
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
PhillyGirl
PhillyGirl began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Hmm...I am struggling with this too. I always get the extended warranty for my electronics, but I've never used it. I am not in a danger prone home, nor do I let just anyone handle my nook color. However, $30 is a small price to pay should an accident happen. Decisions....decisions
PhillyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Consumers Reports opinion is no. My opinion is "if you need the waranty at all you have bought an inferrior product."

That said my advice is the first month you own it run it ragged, make it realy work. One day leave it on all night and see if it works in the morning, select every menu pick and/or icon on the device, try to make it fail then take it abck to B&N if it does.

In the US Federal Government we do this all of the time we call it Exceptance Testing and you should do it also eveyone should, and my agency will do the same thing to the nooks when we purchase a few nooks (at the same price you get) and let me tell you B&N will hear from us if anything fails.

I did it to my Libra Pro and it passed and your Nook should pass as well.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGirl View Post
Hmm...I am struggling with this too. I always get the extended warranty for my electronics, but I've never used it. I am not in a danger prone home, nor do I let just anyone handle my nook color. However, $30 is a small price to pay should an accident happen. Decisions....decisions

I think it's worth it. I have a Sony PMS-700 that I had for a little over a year when the charge port suddenly stopped working (It had loosened I think, with use over time). However, it was then out of warranty and Sony was no longer making the 700. Sony told me it would cost me $100 for them to send me a "refurbished" (read: used) unit. If I had had the Square Trade warranty with damage protection at that time (as I NOW have for my brand-new Nook Color), I would have received a check for at least $250 from them for me to buy a BRAND NEW unit. But...I didn't, so I had to buy my new Nook Color myself....live and learn.

P.S.: The extended warranty from B&N costs significantly more than the Square Trade warranties AND does NOT include accident and damage protection (it only includes manufacturer defects) like the Square Trade warranties do, which will protect you against dropping, water damage, screen cracks and so forth (you can look online for coupons for the ST warranties also, to get up to 20% or 30% off their already low prices).

Last edited by leday; 01-28-2011 at 03:48 PM.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
PhillyGirl
PhillyGirl began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Got it! I used the code on here "FBPREVIEW".

Thanks for the useful thread.
PhillyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote