Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #886
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Months into the redesign, I still find browsing extremely slow, which takes away from the pleasure. Load times should be like Amazon's and Ebay's, which have equally database driven, image heavy pages.
I am finding that it is really slow at loading the images when paging through search results. I sometimes have to refresh the page.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #887
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
If anyone fom Overdrive still comes, I would like to understand the decision behind NOT showing all wislist items when one clicks on wishlist?
Ther surely is a reason, I just can't figure out what it is.

Months into the redesign, I still find browsing extremely slow, which takes away from the pleasure. Load times should be like Amazon's and Ebay's, which have equally database driven, image heavy pages.
Not from Overdrive, but if I remember correctly, it actually loaded as a single page when they first rolled this mess out (although I think it only loaded "so many" - it wouldn't display the older books, if your list was long). They got lots of complaints about how long it took to load (since everything's imagine intensive on this redesign). So they changed it so it would show the older books, but 20 at a shot.

Everything in this redesign (and Kobo's and more and more it seems) is geared at the tablet user.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #888
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Seems like they ought to be able to make it so you can choose how many books you want to display at a time, like most online stores do.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #889
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRead View Post
Hi, just in case anyone from Overdrive is watching this thread now- Please add a feature to filter the wish list by items that are currently available.

And it would be nice if there was more than one choice of viewing options. I am finding it hard to tell what the books are about by just the little cover photo. I know I put them in my wihlist for a reason, but that doesn't mean I am in the mood to read any book on my wishlist at the current time.

MissRead
have you tried clicking where it says "to see your entire Wish List and change your view, click here." Once you do that, it should give you the option to view by grid or list (list view is the one with all the info)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #890
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

My wish - when I click on a series name to see all books in that series, I would like to be able to sort by series order.
You can, and if you select list view, it will show you the installment numbers. You can then sort by publishing date. Of course, that's now more clicks than it was before. Sometimes, some installments do not show, because I think they are entered wrong in the database.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #891
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Not from Overdrive, but if I remember correctly, it actually loaded as a single page when they first rolled this mess out (although I think it only loaded "so many" - it wouldn't display the older books, if your list was long). They got lots of complaints about how long it took to load (since everything's imagine intensive on this redesign). So they changed it so it would show the older books, but 20 at a shot.

Everything in this redesign (and Kobo's and more and more it seems) is geared at the tablet user.
I use only tablets to browse, and the redesign is not optimal. I can not read the majority of the book titles, the most important thing I need to know about a book! I am using an iPad or a Windows 8 tablet. I know it's pointless, but I so miss the old, fast loading, all info right there, no clicks necessary design
Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #892
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
You can, and if you select list view, it will show you the installment numbers. You can then sort by publishing date. Of course, that's now more clicks than it was before. Sometimes, some installments do not show, because I think they are entered wrong in the database.
I've tried sort by "release date" but in my experience this does not result in the books showing up in series order.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #893
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've tried sort by "release date" but in my experience this does not result in the books showing up in series order.
They mostly do for me, as long as I onlu have ebooks or audiobooks selected, But it would be great if Overdrive could add "sort by reading order".
Old 11-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #894
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
They mostly do for me, as long as I onlu have ebooks or audiobooks selected, But it would be great if Overdrive could add "sort by reading order".
Maybe the problem is with series that have been around for a long time, but have only recently been published as ebooks. The ebook release dates may not be in the order of the original series.

I wish that when I click on the series link it would give me a choice to see only ebooks or audiobooks. It does this if I click on an author's name link, but when I click on a series name link it throws them all in with no way to select ebooks vs audio.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #895
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
21 hours ago I got an email from the 3M Cloud Library (ls-softwaresupport@mmm.com) telling me that an eBook I reserved from the Brooklyn Public Library collection is now available.

Click on the link in the email, enter my logon and password, slowly navigate to my hold list, and I see a big red button on the same line as my desired book that says "Remove." And under the Remove button, in an almost illegible tiny light grey font on a white background, it says "Available in 1 Day."

I will try again tomorrow.

As someone who uses both Overdrive and 3M, I find Overdrive so tremendously superior that I have no complaints about the latter.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-08-2013 at 06:40 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #896
xendula
eBookworm

Has anyone been having problems getting their iPod touch recognized by Overdrive Media Console lately? I have never had any issues until yesterday. I did some googling and found this:
Quote:
Recent updates Apple has made to iTunes 10 (and newer) can cause some issues when transferring WMA titles to your device. If you continue to have trouble after following the steps above, please click the Support button to contact your library for help. You can also contact Apple to let them know about the trouble you've been having so that they are aware of the issue. - See more at: http://help.overdrive.com/article/01....IPuuPVs2.dpuf
Anyone else having issues with this?

Also, I agree with Steve above: Overdrive is superior to 3M, which sucks so bad I gave up on it, and also to Onleihe, which is the pathetic excuse of an online library system used in German speaking countries. It was just much better before, and while the refresh looks nice, it is plagued by sub industry standard load times and is less user friendly than it used to be. But it is still the best out there, I agree.

Last edited by xendula; 11-15-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #897
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only real complaint I have about the new Overdrive system is the speed. One of the libraries I use is on one of the last versions of the old system and it is faster. The new system is noticeably slower.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #898
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Also, I agree with Steve above: Overdrive is superior to 3M . . .
Now the tiny light grey on white print says "Available in 0 days," but I refuse to give up.

P.S. Got it now.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #899
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, how unintuitive does this sound????

When I click on Renew for a book which expires in two days, and I confirmed has no waitlist, I am now sent to a rather obnoxious page called WaitingListRenew.htm

It says:

Quote:
Title renewal information:

If you wish to renew this title, fill out the form below before the title expires. Once it expires, you will receive an email notification that the title is available to retrieve from your Holds page. You will only be allowed to renew this title one time.
What the @#%$*& is this garbage?!?!?!?!?! This is not what used to happen. It used to be that just like every other library system on the planet, assuming you haven't maxed out on renewals and no one is waiting for it, they freaking RENEW YOUR @#%$*&-DANGED BOOK!!!

Who does this?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #900
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I get all my wishlisted items by editing the url to say MyCompleteWishList.htm?PerPage=800&StartRecord=1 instead of MyCompleteWishList.htm?PerPage=20&StartRecord=1

Granted, I shouldn't have to do that, but it was always an easy fix for me, so I never thought it was a problem.
Wow, you are full of great Overdrive tips, thanks for this one too.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote