Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 02:50 AM   #16
sjarrel
Edge User

Thank you Sarah, for your extensive explanation. You're right of course and I am getting old. But, when I see something that looks like a dog and it barks like a dog, than I think: Hey, it's a dog!
So, when I see an app on my eDGe that says 'Voice' and 'Google' I think: Hey, that must be Google Voice!
Apparently it's not. LOL, it's Voice Search, by Google.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #17
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrel View Post
Thank you Sarah, for your extensive explanation.
You have an euphemistic way about you...

Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
attemptress
Edge User

Hello all!

I use a slightly different method (that's still free . . . in the US anyway, but should be free to recieve calls and cheap to send calls elsewhere) involving CSipSimple + Pbxes (probably not actually necessary) + CallCentric number (free incoming, cheap outgoing . . . so long as you use it at least once a month) + Google Voice. I give detials in the 'apps' section of the forum on the 'Google Voice' thread, if you're interested. I like CSipSimple because its a LOT easier to set-up and use than Pbxes and SipDroid are. . . and it seems to work just fine.

For those not in the US, Google Voice is what enables the free outgoing calls, as it uses a 'call back' system for connecting your edge and whomever it is you are calling (so you both get 'incoming' calls). You don't need it for the free incoming calls, and can skip it if you're willing to pay your number provider to make outgoing calls (if I remember right, CallCentric charges something like US$0.01-0.10/min depending on the location of the phone you are calling).

Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #19
attemptress
Edge User

@Sarah,

Though I'm not currently in Canada, and so can't test the theory, have you tried using a CallCentric or (if you can find one GV will accept, IPKall or IPComms) as your edge's phone number? When I set up CSipSimple, I was asked to input the device's phone number. I assigned one of my free numbers to my PE. When I signed up for the free account I was given something like 5 minutes of credit for testing purposes. This can be used to 'verify' the phone number for GV. If you use a US number, it might work, especially if you route it via pbxes . . . just a thought.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
attemptress
Edge User

Ummm. . . sorry folks. Just insert "IPComms" everywhere I typed "CallCentric" in the previous two posts, and visa versa. It appears I'm not quite 100% with it today. . . and I'm too lazy to do my own editing just at this moment.

Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #21
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by attemptress View Post
Though I'm not currently in Canada, and so can't test the theory, have you tried using a CallCentric or (if you can find one GV will accept, IPKall or IPComms) as your edge's phone number?
Just a note that GV doesn't actually care about your IP address, or anything like that, so one wouldn't have to be outside of the US to see whether any of these types of numbers would successfully register an account. So if anyone wants to try that step, feel free!

The issue I've found is successfully getting a number that GV will accept, since some of these common services people use either cannot be registered in Canada or GV is on to them. For example, we have a Skype-In US-based number (since there's no Cdn Skype-In service) but GV won't allow that number as a registered number.

So there may very well be a particular service or configuration that I haven't yet found that will in fact work, but at some point I realized I don't really like talking on the phone anyway, and while it was cool to play around and use free services to create a wifi phone (Grand Central & SIP number on my N810, for example), I'm much less interested in a solution that costs money, given I simply won't use it. I just like the challenge of getting it to work.