Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
grossner
grossner began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
First page after standby is lighter?

I've noticed that on my new 650 the first page of text after I take it out of standby is lighter than normal (the font appears to be thinner). When I go to the next page it's fine. If I go to the next page and back to the original page it is also fine. That's how I could tell there is definitely a "lightness" to that first page.

Has anyone else noticed this? It is not a big deal at all, but I was just curious if it was my reader specifically, or something normal.

As an aside... my battery is not lasting as long now after the second time I charged it. It loses all it's charge in 3 days of standby and light reading! I will try a hard reset to see if that helps, but I think I will return it before 30 days and try another one since I really love it.

-Mike
grossner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Mike--

I just checked my 650--and the first page after coming out of standby does appear to be a bit lighter. Not a lot though. In fact I don't think I would have noticed this at all if I wasn't consciously looking for it.

Now--regarding the battery life--that is not normal at all! I've only had my reader for three weeks, but the battery life does last. I've been using it fairly extensively and it hasn't yet gone under three bars. I have charged it once or twice via AC and have connected it to my computer to transfer stuff to it a few times. I'm definitely getting a lot more than three days of stand by and light reading!

Hope a hard reset does the trick for you. Otherwise I think your plan of returning it is a good one. I would think that you shouldn't have to worry about the 30 days though--if the battery is only lasting three days, you have a faulty unit and the return/replacement should be covered under the warranty.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
grossner

Thanks, dordale. I agree, the difference is barely noticeable.

Hopefully, the hard reset will do the trick for the battery life. I'll return to this post after a few days to let you know.

-Mike
Old 10-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Noticed the same thing here.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Kerfuffle
Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.

Device: Sony Prs-650 (mine) Sony PRS-T1 (wife's)
Ive noticed the same thing on my 650.
Kerfuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
zmix
Connoisseur
zmix began at the beginning.

Device: none
Same thing on my 350, also after closing any menu the text is lighter, and requires a forced page refresh... If the "view mode" is set to "darker" the text is consistent, regardless.
zmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:00 AM   #7
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
My kindle 3 also does this, I notice on opening a book from sleep, wherever the previous page had text the first book page will be a little more faded in that area. Must just be a pearl thing
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
It is a pearl screen thing. I noticed this on my 650 and have talked to a bunch of others with the new sonys and the K3's. I just chalked it up to a ghosting type of bug that didn't bug me very much. As for the battery, you should get a couple of weeks out of your device without recharging.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
grossner

After a hard reset the battery life seems back to normal. The two times when the battery life went down quickly were when I used an AC to USB power adapter and the USB cable that came with the Sony. The times I charged it using an LG cell phone charger the battery life is normal. It may be a coincidence (I've only charged it 4 times) but that might be the reason...

As for the first page after standby--it is not very noticeable, but I am still in the habit of going back one page and forward one page to make it refresh to be darker.

-Mike
Old 10-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
My PRS-350 also does.
So seems to be normal.
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
megar
megar began at the beginning.

It is definitely lighter.
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101416
megar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags