Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: The Sony Reader is available for order. Did you order it already?
Yes! 24 46.15%
No. 28 53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2006, 05:54 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sony Reader available at Sony Webstore

It's been a good day for e-book aficionados. Not only do we have two very detailed hands-on previews of the Sony Reader thanks to Bob and Nathan who visited the Sony headquarters earlier, but Sony is finally getting out with the word of its official release date. Thanks to MobileReader Xtremegene who discovered that you can now pre-order the Reader for USD $349 (which is the price we already assumed) and have it shipped on or before October 31 (edit: that is if you have an US billing address).

Link to the store

Accessories are also available and include a cradle, and protection covers in various colors.

So is the Reader already in your shopping cart?

* Update *

Engadget and Gizmodo currently have a host of new close up pics and some more deats for you to drool over. stu
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
$40 for the protection cover? Kinda pricy, don't you think?

But it's indeed good news. The wait is finally over!
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:10 AM   #3
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
The joys of staying up late. :x

I agree the cover seems a little expensive considering it does not seem to be able to protect it from any forceful impacts. I probably would find some Five Star zipper binder or something such to do the same job as the $40 covers.

Also to note, the main Sony Reader page on Sony Style lists a $50 credit towards buying ebooks after product purchase and registration.

Ideally Border's will also have the info (open to the public) now as well. I have a $50 gift card to their store...though if the $50 ebook credit is exclusive to Sony Style, then there's not a lot of difference anyways.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:14 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I just tried to order it (would have been $414.35 including a cover and all taxes) - but they don't accept foreign credit cards for the billing address must be US.

GRRRRRRRR. Time for some meditation...
Old 09-26-2006, 06:20 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's quite a Sony frenzy here, isn't it

I think I wait a bit longer before to order... perhaps someone will come up with better discounts or bundles until the final shipping.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
(edit: that is if you have an US billing address).
I'm glad I didn't wait until this was released... I'd be very disappointed as I'm not in the US... And why am I guessing this will be £349 when its released here...? Its starting to make the Illiad affordable...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
I'm glad I didn't wait until this was released... I'd be very disappointed as I'm not in the US... And why am I guessing this will be £349 when its released here...? Its starting to make the Illiad affordable...!
Alas, they have no officials plans yet to distribute the Reader outside the US. Check the Sony FAQ.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 AM   #8
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Updated Alex's initial post with a new Engadget link - nothing much new apart from store shots and pics.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:57 AM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Little bit of a hitch in the shipping prices. I ordered with the slower $0 shipping, but the prices for expedited options were something approximately like $199.00 and $399.00. But I wanted my order in quickly for fear they might run out in a purchasing frenzy, so I settled for the $0 option.

Got the cradle also, btw. How about everyone else? Are you getting a cradle or using the free cable instead?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:59 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Are you getting a cradle or using the free cable instead?
Just the cable. I have already too many cradles to find any more space on my desk.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:00 AM   #11
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor

My wifes american so I thought we'll use her credit card.. WRONG.. the billing address is my London home address. So the Sony site said 'go away' - ebay here I come.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:31 AM   #12
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Crap. No Sony Reader then. Maybe they'll ship outside the US one day.

It is not like I didn't have to get my REB1100 through eBay...

Aside from the fact Gemstar was long since dead.

Last edited by Jaapjan; 09-26-2006 at 07:33 AM. Reason: More comments...
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:41 AM   #13
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan
Crap. No Sony Reader then. Maybe they'll ship outside the US one day.
Just wait until it becomes available through other web stores that do ship abroad. That might take a while, though. Or maybe you have an American friend who is willing to ship it to you? Or eBay.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #14
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor

There's is the US mother-in-law option. But I can see the whole thing going horribly wrong.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:58 AM   #15
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Where's the booklight?? Someone needs to manufacture the booklight.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote