Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 04-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
Ackis
Ackis began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, iPad 2
Can anyone compare Marvin to Moonreader?

I have both an Android and iOS tablet. I love Moon Reader. It does what I want, does it well and all that fun stuff.

I haven't been able to find a decent replacement for the iOS. Someone suggested Marvin to me however when I tried out the trial version I wasn't exactly won over (e.g. only showing 1 book in the library).

I don't want to waste my time or money getting it up and running (IMO the trial is really neutered so I'd have to buy the program) if it's not going to do what I want it to.

I want to be able to see my entire calibre library that's running off of an external server, I want to be able to download authors/books/series, I want to be able to edit metadata and have those changes reflected back on the calibre server. Are these things possible?

Thank you.
Ackis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:01 AM   #2
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
The 1 book limitation is only a limitation in the free version of Marvin.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Ackis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
The 1 book limitation is only a limitation in the free version of Marvin.
I know. It's hard to judge the features of something when you're given a single book out of a 1000+ library.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I agree about the trial. I went ahead and bought the program figuring at least it was only $3 down the tubes if it didn't work, but the trial should really allow 5 books or something.

If you click "yes" to install the included books in the trial the only book you can display is the free book you get. You can't even try it with your own books unless you go through the short yet steep learning curve on how to put books into Marvin.

I felt the trial of one book was very inadequate. At the very least the option of a free book should be disabled, so the one book you display can be one of your own. However you get no sense of what the navigation is like or how you can sort things with the one book.

As a mobileread member who saw the creator is around and is responsive to feedback I was willing to take the $3 plunge. Without that knowledge I don't know if I would have gotten past the limited trial.

Addendum: However, I can wholeheartedly recommend the program. I can't imagine it wouldn't suit your needs. I've stopped using my e-ink reader in favor of my iPad/iPhone because using Marvin is such a pleasure. I never thought I'd be able to happily read on the small screen of the iPhone, but I was able to customize the font/spacing to where it is comfortable to read yet I don't have to change the page every 3 words.

Last edited by Marcy; 04-07-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 AM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackis View Post
I know. It's hard to judge the features of something when you're given a single book out of a 1000+ library.
If it helps... It will do what Moonreader does (I bought the pro version when I was intending to jump ship from iOS) and then some more. I think it would be wise to actually go to the Marvin website and read about it. There is more information there, and a lot of screenshots, which might help you to decide.

http://www.marvinapp.com

The other thing to remember is that Kris is really receptive to suggestions and requests. You may not always get what you want, but by crikey, you get a lot, anyway.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Ackis

Thanks for the comments.

My biggest concern with these apps is that you buy one for a few bucks, it's not good, so you buy another, and another, etc. So the $1 - $5 turns into $20-$30.

But based on the comments you've posted I think I'll give it a try.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Well, in relation to MoonReader, at least in my Note 3 and my Note 10 2014, it sometimes jumps over (omits) paragraphs, does nos show the right formatting, when using a interline different of 1.0 cuts the last or first line of text, sometimes does not show the TOC right, in the tablet sometimes repeats the same text in the second column when in 2 column mode, sometimes replaces the hyphen by the last letter in the line instead of add the hyphen...

Those are the problems I just remember...

The fact is that Marvin does not do those things with exactly the same epub file. I still need to find an ebook that will be shown wrong in Marvin.

Last edited by rfog; 04-13-2014 at 09:15 AM.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
I want to be able to see my entire calibre library that's running off of an external server, I want to be able to download authors/books/series, I want to be able to edit metadata and have those changes reflected back on the calibre server. Are these things possible?

Thank you.

All of those things are possible. Personally, I like Marvin much more than Moon+, though it has been about a year since I used Moon. I do think it is the best reader app for Android.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
There's no comparison, really, since moon reader doesn't display book formatting correctly, things like indent and paragraph spacing. For me, it kind of fails the first test of an ereader.

Of course you may not care about that. You may care about some other things that moon does. What features that are important to you.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
Ackis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
There's no comparison, really, since moon reader doesn't display book formatting correctly, things like indent and paragraph spacing. For me, it kind of fails the first test of an ereader.

Of course you may not care about that. You may care about some other things that moon does. What features that are important to you.
I don't think I really encountered any problems with MoonReader.

The two things that are important to me are readability and integration with a networked database of eBooks (I'm currently using Calibre but I'm thinking about trying to find an alternative).
Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
The two things that are important to me are readability and integration with a networked database of eBooks (I'm currently using Calibre but I'm thinking about trying to find an alternative).
Why might you wish to change? Also, what alternative?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
Ackis

MoonReader is android only IIRC, we have an android and ipad.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #13
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
All of those things are possible. Personally, I like Marvin much more than Moon+, though it has been about a year since I used Moon. I do think it is the best reader app for Android.
What are the advantages of Marvin over Moon?
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
A couple of things to note
I don't think Marvin is supported anymore.
I love everything about Marvin - except - it does NOT keep the reading place in landscape mode - seems to be fine in portrait. For that reason, I'm trying Mapleread SE. It is not as intuitive as Marvin, but I'm hoping I'll get used to it.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:28 AM   #15
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Is mapleread better than Moon Reader?
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote