Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
'The Help': 1,000,000 copy seller on Kindle

Congrats to the author!

Quote:
Two more authors, Kathryn Stockett and Janet Evanovich, have joined the growing group of authors who have sold over a million copies of their books on Kindle. In other words, Kathryn Stockett’s first novel, The Help, has sold over one million copies as an e-book.

Janet Evanovich is the author of the Stephanie Plum mystery series, along with romances and other books, and she has sold over a million copies of those books combined.

The other authors in the “Kindle Million Club” are Stieg Larsson, James Patterson, Nora Roberts, Charlaine Harris, Lee Child, Suzanne Collins, Michael Connelly and John Locke. Stieg Larsson was the first author to sell over a million copies of a book on Kindle, and John Locke was the first self-published author to do so.

The Help is #1 on the Kindle bestseller list this morning, where Penguin has priced it at $9.99. The book has been in the Kindle top 100 for 623 days.
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-t...ies-on-kindle/
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
There are now ten authors in the 1 million Kindle ebooks sold to date club ... and so far not a single other vendor -- B&N's Nook, Sony's EReader or Kobo -- has announced even a single author sales of 1 million ebooks.

And, for perspective, Nook and Kobo each last reported a bit over 4 million account holders. The Amazon eSteamroller continues ...
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're going to incite an e-riot...

Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
groovy
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Help is $9.99 at B&N and Sony as well. I've not checked any other stores.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Help is $9.99 at B&N and Sony as well. I've not checked any other stores.
penguin is agency it's going to be 9.99 everywhere
Old 08-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
penguin is agency it's going to be 9.99 everywhere
True. But the way the article was worded, it made it sound like it was dropped to $9.99 at Amazon because of selling 1,000,000 copies.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Ron.
Evangelist

Quote:
True. But the way the article was worded, it made it sound like it was dropped to $9.99 at Amazon because of selling 1,000,000 copies.
it might have been dropped, but if they did they had to drop the price everywhere. I know with some publishers once the book hits the best seller list they drop the price.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
RockdaMan
Banned

"The Help is #1 on the Kindle bestseller list this morning, where Penguin has priced it at $9.99"

Me-thinks you a bit too sensitive there, Mr. Wolf. I didn't think that when I read it.

It would be interesting to know the sales at the other stores though.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Actually, what I would like to know is how many copies in ePub it has sold regardless of store. Because Amazon is the only place to get The Help for the Kindle, of course they would sell more. But because ePub is sold at many different stores, you do have to take that into account.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Actually, what I would like to know is how many copies in ePub it has sold regardless of store. Because Amazon is the only place to get The Help for the Kindle, of course they would sell more. But because ePub is sold at many different stores, you do have to take that into account.
IOW, how many non-Amazon sales, aggregated?

Why? People in general are not buying e-books based on format, but on the hardware that they own.

I just downloaded a book from the the Baen free library to my iPod touch. I got it in ePub, because that is my favorite reader on that device. I'm guessing everyone else does the same.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post

Why? People in general are not buying e-books based on format, but on the hardware that they own.

I just downloaded a book from the the Baen free library to my iPod touch. I got it in ePub, because that is my favorite reader on that device. I'm guessing everyone else does the same.
Outside of the folks in a forum like this very few people know anything about the difference between the two file types. The percentage of those people who actually care is even smaller.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post

And if you own a reader that uses ePub, you buy ePub. If you own a Kindle, you buy from Amazon or you look for DRM free Mobipocket.

So yes, you do buy based on format. You went to Baen and bought by format. You did not just buy the eBook and get it automatically in your preferred format.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Ron.
Evangelist

another amazon/mobipocket debate, yes we need more of those
Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
And if you own a reader that uses ePub, you buy ePub. If you own a Kindle, you buy from Amazon or you look for DRM free Mobipocket.

So yes, you do buy based on format. You went to Baen and bought by format. You did not just buy the eBook and get it automatically in your preferred format.
I did not say "ePuff is superior to Moo-bi, so I'll download ePuff". I said 'whats my need'?

It was based on my favorite ereader software. In a few months, when Stanza no longer works with iOS 5, it will be the Kindle for iOS software.

Guess which version I'll use then?

In other words,