Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
boof
boof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre server and database locking

Hi,

I'd like to run the calibre content server permanently on my home server to share books easily to my devices.

I'd also like, periodically, to use the full calibre graphical client - on another machine - to graphically manage and add items to the library.

The library and associated database / metadata would be available to the content server running headless on the server (linux) locally.

Whilst the graphical client would run on windows, or OSX, accessing the same library data via samba.

Is this a safe use case in terms of locking / having conflicts in the database / metadata?

I know there are caveats when accessing a library simultaneously using multiple 'full fat' GUI clients but I'm not sure how the content server by itself will behave.

I suspect this is a common scenario so I hope the answer is it would be ok but I'm not sure I'd be able to satisfactorily test it with regards to failure cases.

Thanks!
boof is offline   Reply With Quote