Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
modkindle
modkindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
non-DRMed PRC books identifed as having DRM

I have a few PRC books that were free files and did not require/ask for a PID when downloaded. When trying to convert to EPUB Calibre says the files are DRMed. Has anyone else run into this problem? (I didn't see anything in a search of the forum as far back as January). Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks.
modkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
these are so called content encoded files. They are drmed though mobipocket reader will open them automatically.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
modkindle
modkindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
these are so called content encoded files. They are drmed though mobipocket reader will open them automatically.
Thanks Kovid! I really appreciate you not ust sharing Calibre with us but your knowledge and expertise. I had never heard of this type of DRM before. Kindle for PC opens them automatically too.

Do you know if "content encoded" drm exists for epub too?
modkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, it doesn't
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
These used to require a manually modified version of mobidedrm,py, but the comments in a recent mobidedrm.py script indicate that content encoded ebooks are handled automatically since version 0.10.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
MaryK
MaryK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkindle View Post
I have a few PRC books that were free files and did not require/ask for a PID when downloaded. When trying to convert to EPUB Calibre says the files are DRMed.
I'm having the same problem except I bought my PRCs from a supposedly DRM-free epress. I can copy them all over the place, but they won't convert. Very frustrating.
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Who's the supposedly DRM-free vendor, so I don't have the same problem?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
MaryK
MaryK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Ellora's Cave. They're old files, maybe they've changed how they make their files. I don't plan to test the possibility.
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
I don't think this has changed. I bought several ebooks from Ellora's Cave on 2010-02-25, and ended up with three PRC files I can't convert. I asked them about it, and they said the files should be fine. Now I know someone else has had the same problem, I'll look into it more when I have a chance.
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
MaryK, I've been following this up with Ellora's Cave. They also say that these are probably an older .mobi format, designed to be read on your computer (not much use if you have a Mac or Linux machine, since Mobipocket Reader isn't released for them). They sent me a fresh copy of each of the three ebooks, which still wouldn't open. Stanza puts up an error message:

Kindle for Mac just crashes, and Calibre claimes the books are DRM, although scripts say it's the wrong format for DRM.

Ellora's Cave say they're happy to supply PDF or HTML versions of these unopenable purchased books, so I've asked them to do that. You could also request that. You've paid for the books and should be able to read them.
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The Java error from Stanza is standard for a DRM protected book which suggests that Stanza thinks it is DRM protected as well.

I would suggest that the HTML version is the best format to have as that tends to convert well to any other format (and also will not be DRM protected).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote