Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2014, 03:27 AM   #436
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi Glottis,

I've a got a solution that solved completly the problem : buy another Glo !

More seriously, I haven't got a H20 device but a Glo, so perhaps it's not the same thing with this device, but on the Glo you can set a refesh rate for nightmode and maybe it's should be a workaround pending a fix :

Modify the "refreshScreenPages" in your .bobo/nightmode.ini like this :

[nightmode]
refreshScreenPages = 6

Indeed, we can imagine that your present value is set to "0" and I believe refreshScreenPages = 0 totally disables the refresh (and it may explain the ghosting that you see).

Try and come back to tell us the result.

NB : sorry again for my very bad english.

Last edited by akorx; 11-02-2014 at 03:46 AM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #437
Glottis
Enthusiast
Glottis began at the beginning.

Device: H2O, Poke 2
@akorx

Thanks for your advice and I tried setting it to 6. It didn't make a difference.

I also set it to 1 to see if it would refresh it each page (it didn't). Even when I set full screen refresh in the kobo settings to 1 as well it only refreshes every 6. This seems to suggest that night mode no matter the settings locks screen refresh to every 6 pages as normally the refresh rate works perfectly (just tested with night mode off).

Either way, it didn't help with the ghosting issue, even post full refresh had mild ghosting like in images.
Glottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #438
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
@Glottis,

2 solutions (but I can't garantee that it will be better) :

1- try to uninstall your version of nightmode (for example if you have build 10) and re install the last that is "build 13".

2- if it's not better, save your ebooks (or your library if you use "calibre") and reset totally your device... after this reset : install firmware 3.11.0, reboot completly the device, install nightmode build13, reboot again totally the device, and restore yours ebooks.

... and come back to give us the results !

Last edited by akorx; 11-04-2014 at 05:49 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #439
Glottis
Enthusiast
Glottis began at the beginning.

Device: H2O, Poke 2
1) Already using build 13.

2) Hmm, I had firmware 3.7.0, and I thought that was the latest. Installed 3.11.0 now but the ghosting is still there, even when fully 'flash' refreshed (you get the previous page showing - not all the others). This makes me think it may be clearing the screen, then redrawing the current page and then switching to the next page whenever the full refresh happens.

However, when I click from main page to open a new book there is no ghosting on the page (whereas with 3.7 the 'tiles' would be ghosted on the new page). This maybe suggests that the full refresh I get when turning pages is different from the full refresh I get from opening a book from the main page.

Edit: It also refreshes each page turn no matter what number is chosen in either the kobo setting or the night mode config file. That's not too much of a problem if I could get rid of ghosting though.

Last edited by Glottis; 11-04-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Glottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #440
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
It doesn't look like it, but has anyone had an issue with nightmode13 not working with 3.11.0?

No doubt this is some error on my part. I usually manually delete the mod and then reinstall it (if I do an update and notice it is not working). Never had an issue prior to this.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

-----
Update:
Okay, I decided to give it one last go on my own just in case and it's working now.
Pretty sure I just skipped a step or something. Not sure what it was, but it's all good now.
Thanks! (esp to yoq as always for doing this mod and keeping up with it!)

Last edited by peachiekene; 11-06-2014 at 09:13 PM.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #441
Ennas
Ennas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Just a small post to thank the people who made the nightmode thingy. It's GREAT!
Ennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #442
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
'night' mode is notably awful when used in conjunction with REGAL waveform update modes (the very thing that makes it look so nice and ghost-free when used normally ), because those waveform update modes are very much tailored for black-on-white. Since that's what the Aura & H2O defaults to, that would probably explain Glottis's experience .

We've been seeing the same thing on the PW2 w/ KOReader [where we don't use the HW flag either], for what it's worth. (And, although I haven't checked, even using the HW flag wouldn't help. What would help is a waveform update mode tailored to that kind of thing, which is apparently something that was introduced in the updated Kernels of the KT2 & KV in Kindle-land ).

Which reminds me that we should probably fall back to a non-REAGL waveform mode when using night mode in KOReader, before the slew of bug reports come in now that we've enabled REGAL-waveform modes on Kobos... (xref: #1109).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-09-2014 at 11:30 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #443
Ennas
Ennas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
When I use /have used the nightmode, the up-down sliding does not change the light intensity anymore. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

glo, firmware 3.11.0, nightmode 13

edit
It seems to happen with or without nightmode. :-(

Last edited by Ennas; 11-25-2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: New insights. :-)
Ennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #444
jallan44
jallan44 began at the beginning.

Device: none
So has anyone been able to get nightmode working on the Kobo Aura H2o?

Thanks
jallan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #445
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I've been given a Glo a few days ago and so far I'm not sure whether I'll keep it. Since the night mode seems to work very nicely on this model I'll give it a try (I've never felt the need to do so with the Aura HD whose light can go very low).
A big thank you to the developer(s) and to all of the contributors to this thread who made it very comprehensive
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:19 AM   #446
traycold
Connoisseur
traycold doesn't littertraycold doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo Hd, Kobo H2O2
Kobo NightMode improvements

hi all,
I introduces some new features on nightMode (based on v13 of nightMode).

Expecially the firts one may be of interests to Kobo H2O owners, since it allows to enable/disable nightmode without the need of a physical button and without adding any other tool (like ksm) on top of standard Kobo Nickel app.
But it may be useful to other model owners too, since it allows to execute any script from Nickel app.
  • Brightness-controlled actions
    you can use brightness level to trigger nightmode enable/disable, or even launch any linux command / script.
    The idea is: you associate an action to execute to a (configurable) brightness level (typically: a value that normally you don't use, let's say 34%). Then, when you set brightness using Kobo UI to that level, and maintain it for a (configurable) number of seconds (for example: 5 s), the associated action is triggered.
    You can configure in theory 101 custom action, one for each brightness level between 0 and 100.
    Configuration is done on nightmode.ini.
  • Brightness 1% patch
    When debugging on above feature, I discovered (but honestly, I think it's something already well-known, I vaguely remember reading something about it somewhere but cannot find it now) that when you set brightness to 1% through Kobo UI, actually Nickel send to kernel/driver the command to set it to 2%. Don't know exactly why, probably because for some reason if brightness is set to 0% (i.e. it is off) at driver level, and you set it to 1% (at driver level, making the relevant ioctl call) the light keeps off; you need to set it to 2% to turn it on. When it's already on, you can lower it to 1%.
    My patch consists in "guessing" the cases when the user probably really wants to set brightness to 1% (typically: when 1% is shown on user interface). In this case it force the set to 1%.
    Warning: the "guess" will only work in some common situations, but cannot guarantee to work in all scenario, see nightmode.ini for some further details.
    You can enable/disable this patch through nightmode.ini

I made some tests on my Kobo and everything seems to be ok (i.e.: no crash or unwanted behaviours), but I'm really a noob as C developer, so I really could have written "bad" things . USE THIS PACKAGE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
If you would like to test it for yourself, you can downlad (and review the source) the patch directly on github repo.
Typically, if you already have NightMode patch v13 already installed, you just need to replace the screenInv.so file, and update the nightMode.ini configuration file adding configurations related to brightness control (the file on repo is commented to explain how to configure these options).

I hope you may find it useful.
Any feedback is welcome.

Last edited by traycold; 11-27-2014 at 03:22 AM.
traycold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #447
scoky
Connoisseur
scoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; KOBO AURA HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by traycold View Post
hi all,
I introduces some new features on nightMode (based on v13 of nightMode).
I'm very interested in using the script executing function to make the screenshot. Beside brightness trigger, could the script executing function be triggered by pressing light button for the specific time?
scoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:24 AM   #448
traycold
Connoisseur
traycold doesn't littertraycold doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo Hd, Kobo H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoky View Post
I'm very interested in using the script executing function to make the screenshot. Beside brightness trigger, could the script executing function be triggered by pressing light button for the specific time?
definitely is possible, infact this was my original approach; then I changed to the current one (linked to brightness level) since I thought it may be more flexible and less confusing (with light button press, the same trigger would both toggle nightMode on/off AND execute a script).
Anyway I could re-introduce it if it may be considered useful to someone.
Just need some days to put the code together (and I'm a bit busy these days).
traycold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #449
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I've been given a Glo a few days ago and so far I'm not sure whether I'll keep it. Since the night mode seems to work very nicely on this model I'll give it a try (I've never felt the need to do so with the Aura HD whose light can go very low).
A big thank you to the developer(s) and to all of the contributors to this thread who made it very comprehensive
I've installed the v13 and so far so good. I've tried it in several dark rooms but the real test will be tonight when I'll be reading in bed, though I confident I'll like this mode very much.

Once again, thank you for developing this hack
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #450
scoky
Connoisseur
scoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; KOBO AURA HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by traycold View Post
definitely is possible, infact this was my original approach; then I changed to the current one (linked to brightness level) since I thought it may be more flexible and less confusing (with light button press, the same trigger would both toggle nightMode on/off AND execute a script).
Anyway I could re-introduce it if it may be considered useful to someone.
Just need some days to put the code together (and I'm a bit busy these days).
awesome! If this plugin can provide an interface to execute different scripts like taking snapshot and starting KOreader etc., it could be very useful, especially when it is triggered by light button.
scoky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch