Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
crestfalleen
crestfalleen began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Epub format on iPad

I don't think I've seen this anywhere else, if so, please direct me to the place. Thanks so much.

I have some epubs that I made in Sigil and they look great in Calibre, Digital Editions, and Sigil, but when I try them on the iPad, I have some of the paragraphs are not formatted like I made them in Sigil. The main issue is the copyright page. I have it set to all be centered, but it comes up as justified to the left. Anyone know how I could easily fix this. If you don't know easily and I have to do it in code, please let me know in a little more detail as my coding ability is still at novice. Thanks.
crestfalleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Take a look at the iBooks options in Settings - turn Full Justification off, see if that yields the desired results.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
crestfalleen

That fixes it. Thanks. Does that mean that no matter how much I change it, it's still going to be messed up if that setting is on? I'm looking at all three of the epubs I have and it's only the copyright pages that are messed up (besides one other center-justifide heading on another page), but all of my chapter headings, etc are working right. Is there any other way to get things working right besides this?

Last edited by crestfalleen; 08-27-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestfalleen View Post
That fixes it. Thanks. Does that mean that no matter how much I change it, it's still going to be messed up if that setting is on?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestfalleen View Post
I'm looking at all three of the epubs I have and it's only the copyright pages that are messed up (besides one other center-justifide heading on another page), but all of my chapter headings, etc are working right. Is there any other way to get things working right besides this?
I don't understand the problem, if you turn off the setting doesn't it display the books exactly as you formatted them?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
crestfalleen

Yes, that fixes the problem.

The only thing I had messed up though is the copyright pages and two subheadings in the appendix. None of the other subheadings or headings or anything else in the chapters were messed up. Turning the setting off does fix it, but is there a reason why only those things were effected?

Basically I'm trying to find a way to get the book to look the way I formatted it without the reader having to turn on or off a setting. There must be a way because the rest of the book is formatted properly. I have no problem with the fix myself, however, my boss won't like that the reader has to switch a setting, he wants it to wok properly without them doing anything, and apparently it should because the rest of the book is fine, I just don't know why.

Thanks so much.
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The Full Justification switch in iBooks is like cruise control on a car - it takes control away, while delivering a consistent experience (at least, in Apple's opinion).

The fact that the switch is on by default is similar to having Auto Brightness on by default, and then wondering why you can't adjust the brightness.

Suggestion: Add something in the front matter of the book saying something like "to enjoy this book as it was originally formatted, adjust your iBooks preferences ..."

Or, if your boss really wants things to look right when Full Justification is turned on, reformat your book so that everything is fully justified.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
crestfalleen

Thanks so much for the help.