Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
MID replacement for a LifeDrive?

I've been ogling the SmartQ V5 as a potential replacement for my LifeDrive.

Dimension-mass-wise it's smaller everywhere except for being a bit wider. The big doubleplusgood bit is the 2.5 times larger LCD resolution.

I also like that it comes with Android AND Linux AND Windows CE. Demo of it running Android 2.1 http://smartqv5.com/

It should also fit into most anywhere the LifeDrive does. There seems to be a complete lack of hard protective cases for these MIDs. No problem, I can design and make my own, similar to Palm's own design for the LifeDrive.

But I'm wondering what else is available with comparable size and features in this type of device? I do want it to run Android and have the free updates like Smart Devices provides.

I like that the V5 *does not have* a phone or camera. However, there are some inexpensive no-contract unlimited talk/text phone services that'll work with any unlocked USA compatible GSM phone, (and have genuine usable coverage in my rural area) so if a device happens to also be a phone, I wouldn't be averse to that - since my second contract with Verizon is up, and I will not get another BREW phone, ever.

In any event, devices like the V5 make me stop thinking about an Axim X51v and waiting for the AxDroid hackers to make it do more than barely boot up.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I've got the SmartQ V7, and I wouldn't get it for the Android firmware. It's crap. I can't install apps and Wifi doesn't work.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have the 7 or the V7? Your profile info says Smart Q7. Like the 5 and the V5 those are quite different.

The forum at http://www.smartqmid.com should be able to help you with any problems. Smart Devices has a beta release of Android 2.1 which looks really good on the V5 and V7. There's also a Chinese Android Market alternative site, which reportedly has many English apps.

I've been digging around some other sites, reading reviews of various small MIDs, looks like most everyone else is using a proprietary OS on devices the size of the V5.

I've found some 7" or larger MIDs running Android but those are too large. I want something LifeDrive size/mass or smaller.

Palm had the right idea with the LifeDrive, but like Apple's Newton it was a few years too far ahead of the market and technology.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have both, actually. The 7 doesn't have an Android firmware. The V7 has a useless Android firmware.

The SmartQ V7 isn't worth the extra cost. Get the SmartQ 7 instead.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
bizzybody
Addict

Either one of the 7's is too large to be a replacement for the LifeDrive. Try Android 2.1 Preview 2 on your V7.
http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/view...hp?f=36&t=1374
http://www.smartdevices.com.cn/suppo...5/05-1041.html

Some sites for apps ipmartforum.com or android-themes.com Like the iPodPhonePad, there are many ways besides the official way to get software.

Android for the Q5 and Q7 http://code.google.com/p/qdroid/wiki/InstallEn
Advert