Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 04:15 AM   #1
tonyofla
Enthusiast
tonyofla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
back button problem

anyone having a problem with the back button function? Since the latest firmware upgrade I've been having a problem where the "back" function doesn't work (ie: I press the back button and nothing happens) it seems to happen after I've been on the online store. When I do a reset "back" starts working again but the problem reappears after a while.
tonyofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
canucken
canucken began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Just spoke with Amazon and apparently (at least with ours - Kindle2) a software issue on V2.3. They're working to update it and ask us to be patient in the meantime.
canucken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
pa5t0rd
pa5t0rd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've been having a similar problem but mine also includes the previous page button acting as the 'back' button at times!
pa5t0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
For me, it's a sometimes works-sometimes doesn't.

If I follow a link to a footnote, back doesn't work. Page forward, page back works fine. I've gotten into the habit of paying attention to the Location number and using Go To Location if I really want to follow a footnote.

Hope they fix it...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
jfp
jfp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Our Kindle is a week old. We are having problems with the functionality of the back button. It does not work as described in the manual. If we restart the unit, it works fine, but after a while it will not "retrace" our steps. We have had to restart the unit every day or so to get the functionality back. The button itself does seem work but not as it should.

I wrote Amazon and they wanted to troubleshoot it on the phone with me. When I made the call there was no troubleshooting involved, they are sending a new one.
jfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've read in another forum this is a known bug - and Amazon is working on a fix to roll out. In the meantime they're simply replacing the affected units.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp View Post
Our Kindle is a week old. We are having problems with the functionality of the back button. It does not work as described in the manual. If we restart the unit, it works fine, but after a while it will not "retrace" our steps. We have had to restart the unit every day or so to get the functionality back. The button itself does seem work but not as it should.

I wrote Amazon and they wanted to troubleshoot it on the phone with me. When I made the call there was no troubleshooting involved, they are sending a new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucken View Post
Just spoke with Amazon and apparently (at least with ours - Kindle2) a software issue on V2.3. They're working to update it and ask us to be patient in the meantime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa5t0rd View Post
I've been having a similar problem but mine also includes the previous page button acting as the 'back' button at times!

Welcome, to you new members, to MobileRead!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I've read in another forum this is a known bug - and Amazon is working on a fix to roll out. In the meantime they're simply replacing the affected units.
Version 2.3.3 came out today - perhaps one of things it addresses is this problem. Worth a try...

Amazon update page.

Remember if you've used either the screensaver or font hacks, you'll have to remove them before you can update. Good news is, they work after the update!!! (my poor Kindle has been rebooted 5 times today - it's beginning to think it's a Windows machine!)
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Just noticed that my back button doesn't work while reading a book (kindle or pdf format). It was working in previous firmware versions, and it still works correctly while in the home screen or if I pull up the menu while reading. Hopefully the next firmware will fix it (current version is 2.3.3).

-Edit-
Nevermind, fixed it. I had tried soft restart (Home -> [Menu] -> Settings -> [Menu] -> Restart) which did not fix the problem. But after some googling I found out about hard restart (hold power switch for 30-40 seconds) and now my back button works again.

Last edited by lilman; 04-10-2010 at 09:42 AM.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #10
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
I have had this problem a few times. It happens when the nesting of all the positions in your documents gets really deep; there's a limit to how many pending "backs" (especially if you are in the middle of reading many books at once)it can handle; also the deeper you go the slower it gets. Syncing with Amazon repository; followed by a reset clears it up; speed improves too.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote