Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
File too big for the JBL?

Last week, in the spirit of Read an E-Book Week, I downloaded, inter alia, the ePub version of Nate's L. Frank Baum Oz Omnibus, which consists 14 novels and one collection of short stories.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=Baum

I put all 25 of the items I downloaded last week into one folder, and moved that folder to my 2 gig SanDisk SD card. All of the other downloads of that folder (that I have checked) work fine.

But last night I tried to open Nate's file, and got the Hourglass of Death.

I was able to turn the device off without any problem, but when I later turned it back on the Hourglass of Death resumed its activity. I then pressed the reset button on the back, and that made the problem go away.

Unlike the other Hourglass of Death problems cited in the thread of that name, I did not use multiple folders. Only the one.

Do you think that Nate's Oz Omnibus is just too big for the JBL to get its arms around?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Sounds like it might be Russell.

I'm no expert on Epub but I suspect one of our more epub savvy members could split it.
It being basically over 400 separate html pages in a compressed format.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I just downloaded it and loaded it onto my current SD card for my JBL library.
It did take a very long time to load it, I didn't time it but is easy to understand why
you could think it was something like the "Hourglass of Death".

I have since read through to the first page of the first OZ story. Then backed out of that and loaded a recently read book. Then used the recently read list again to load
the OZ Omnibus again and - it took 6 min. to load. Six minutes is a long time indeed,
when you are used to the normal quick response of the JBL.

When I shut it off and later turned it back on it came up on the last read page, in
pretty much the normal amount of time, at least it seemed normal to me.

I haven't tried removing the artwork but I suspect that may be causing most of the
delay. The cover art is most impressive, but for me it's the stories that matter.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Ok, I changed the .jpg files to Grayscale, in GIMP2 and re-ziped the ebook, then
used Calibre to make it an .epub again. I deleted the downloaded .epub from the
SD card and put the one with the changed files in its place.

Now that one loaded in about a minute. The two cover images look great on the
JBL. The two maps on page 1926 are small and there is no way to zoom in on them.
It might be better to save the grayscale .jpg files as "pictures" so you can use the
zoom function on them.

Update: I scaled the maps to match the cover images and redid the epub, they
look a little better but the original images of the maps are not high enough resolution
for them to look very good, as maps.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-18-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Ken, I'm sure that I did not wait six minutes, because I have set my device to automatically shut off after five. So I guess that's the answer.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert