Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Fanfiction.net on Kindle

I know the Kindle can (or at least COULD) do web browsing. How does fanfiction.net look on it? I know it's mostly text, so it shouldn't be too bad to load. Can you navigate through it? Can you write reviews?

I do know there are fanfiction downloaders for offline use, but I like finding stories to read by just poking around on FF, and I don't want to have to worry about archiving them ahead of time. Also, the stories I read tend to update a lot, so it would be a pain to have to archive them all the time.

Plus, the advantage of real-time reviewing without having to stare at a computer screen also excites me.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Anyone?
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control
Dr. Wily doesn't litterDr. Wily doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 International
Terrible.

Well, OK, it looks good. However, you cannot go from chapter to chapter, which is obviously a major issue. It's easier to just convert the ones you like into eBook format.

It's a real shame that you can't change chapters, because this would be just excellent to read on the Kindle. Oh well.
Dr. Wily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
forkyfork
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wily View Post
Terrible.

Well, OK, it looks good. However, you cannot go from chapter to chapter, which is obviously a major issue. It's easier to just convert the ones you like into eBook format.

It's a real shame that you can't change chapters, because this would be just excellent to read on the Kindle. Oh well.
Thanks for checking. Yeah, that does suck that you can't change chapters. Kinda defeats the whole purpose. I guess you could just manually increase the number in the url by one, though, if you wanted. Can you still leave a review?

Out of curiosity, can you check one more fanfiction site? This uses a different framework than FFn, and to go to the next chapter is a link at the bottom of the page (not a drop down - although you can use that too)

http://www.twilighted.net/viewstory.php?sid=4958
Old 12-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
you can download the program Fanfiction Downloader. It'll merge all the chapters and output the file as a MOBI or HTML or RTF.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
forkyfork
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
you can download the program Fanfiction Downloader. It'll merge all the chapters and output the file as a MOBI or HTML or RTF.
Thanks. I already knew about the program, but the problem is is that each time a story updates, you have to regenerate it again. Alos, you can't leave reviews. I was curious to see if those two issues could easily be addressed on a Kindle.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control

I do not know about reviews but the site you directed me to seems to work well on the Kindle. I'm not sure if it is the story or the Kindle but there is a lot of space between paragraphs.

How does the FF.net grabber compare to using Microsoft Word and converting with Calibre? Does it generate a table of contents? Can you add covers?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
forkyfork
Zealot

Quote:
I do not know about reviews but the site you directed me to seems to work well on the Kindle. I'm not sure if it is the story or the Kindle but there is a lot of space between paragraphs.

How does the FF.net grabber compare to using Microsoft Word and converting with Calibre? Does it generate a table of contents? Can you add covers?

What do you mean using Word and converting with Calibre? Do you mean copying and pasting each chapter into Word manually?

And you can go to the next chapter just fine on the Kindle? (it's the link at the bottom)
Old 12-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:

FF.net downloader is only really useful in the sense that it grabs all the chapters and merges them into a single file. From there I remove excess crap add the metadata and then add it to my device (I use the RTF option since I have a Sony PRS-505) however for stories I want to convert to LRF. I save the RTF as a html and fix the code then import to Calibre and convert to LRF.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
What do you mean using Word and converting with Calibre? Do you mean copying and pasting each chapter into Word manually?

And you can go to the next chapter just fine on the Kindle? (it's the link at the bottom)
With ff.net downloader you don't have to merge the story manually.

Calibre can convert RTF to LRF/mobi/epub.

There are ways to convert directly from MS Word to LRF (it's on mobile read but I can't recall the name of the program/add-on that can accomplish this)

I think what the original poster meant was ff.net provides a Word doc and you can import that into Calibre and convert.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks. I already knew about the program, but the problem is is that each time a story updates, you have to regenerate it again. Alos, you can't leave reviews. I was curious to see if those two issues could easily be addressed on a Kindle.
yeah, that's one of the reasons I check to see if the story is complete or not. From what I've found there is no reciepe/rss feed for individual stories.

Though, it would be interesting to see if one can be created so that fanfiction.net would be treated like any other news site.

If a reciepe for ff.net was created it should theoretically be able to automatically send the kindle the stories you want automatically. but I think fanfiction.net would have to rss feeds for this to be possible?

I know with efiction the only page that has a rss is the Recently Added page. FF.net may have something similar. I've explored the idea of having rss feeds for author pages but I didn't know enough about php to experiement.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
forkyfork
Zealot

Quote:
FF.net downloader is only really useful in the sense that it grabs all the chapters and merges them into a single file. From there I remove excess crap add the metadata and then add it to my device (I use the RTF option since I have a Sony PRS-505) however for stories I want to convert to LRF. I save the RTF as a html and fix the code then import to Calibre and convert to LRF.
Why not just use FLAG which converts directly into LRF or epub?

http://flag.erayd.net/
Old 12-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Why not just use FLAG which converts directly into LRF or epub?

http://flag.erayd.net/

I've tried it a few times but it doesn't generate a Table of Contents and you can't make the story look better. So you end up with all these extra paragraph spaces and it looks ugly.

Plus every single author has author notes after each chapter and at the beginning of each chapter. When I go through and edit I remove all that crap. FLAG also won't merge the chapters together.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
forkyfork
Zealot

Quote:
I've tried it a few times but it doesn't generate a Table of Contents and you can't make the story look better. So you end up with all these extra paragraph spaces and it looks ugly.

Plus every single author has author notes after each chapter and at the beginning of each chapter. When I go through and edit I remove all that crap. FLAG also won't merge the chapters together.
Ahh.. I see what you mean. The problem is, there would be no easy way for FLAG to edit out author's notes because there is no standard way of putting them in for FFn. On a site that uses the efiction architecture, however, it would be a lot easier.

Out of curiosity, and as a fanfiction writer myself, why do you not like A/N's? I understand some people can get a little crazy with long ones, but for the most part - myself included - they are only a couple paragraphs and help clarify points.

What DOES drive me crazy, though, is when people put A/N's in the story. It's called footnotes, people :-p
Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control

When I convert fanfics, I use Microsoft Word. I save it as an HTML, put the title of the story in "Heading 1" style, and put chapter titles in "Heading 2" style. I then set Calibre to recognize the h2 tag as a chapter and have it autogenerate the TOC. Works like a charm!

Where can I submit fanfiction? I've converted a few and there's one in particular I'd love to share with the world. I spent a lot of time proofreading it and converting it (since this was before I experimented with Word, I had to add in all the tags myself).