Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
gamegirl
Enthusiast
gamegirl doesn't littergamegirl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Palm Lifedrive
Can Calibre convert mobi from fictionwise for use on Sony PRS?

I noticed a few books at fictionwise, that I would like to read, are cheaper than the Sony store, but they are in mobi format. Can I buy them and use Calibre to convert them for use on the Sony? Or do they have DRM that needs to be removed first?

Any help would be great. I've had my Sony for about a month. Love it.
Mostly download books from the library and also bought a few from Sony.
gamegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The "Secure" ebook formats that FictionWise sells have DRM. The multi-format ebooks are DRM-free. Calibre only format-shifts DRM-free ebooks.

Of the secure formats, the DRM can be stripped from MOBI (mobidedrm.py), eReader (ereader2html.py) and MS Reader LIT (ConvertLIT GUI). Note that removing DRM is generally thought to be illegal in the US and several other countries. If you have a choice (and a Windows PC), LIT is the best format to convert to LRF or ePub. The other two are ok sources as well, and don't require Windows.

If you don't want to strip the DRM, the Sony PRS-505 reads Secure Adobe PDF and ePub. Fictionwise sells secure Adobe PDFs, but seems to be phasing them out. Books on Board is a good source in the US for Secure Adobe ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
gamegirl
Enthusiast
gamegirl doesn't littergamegirl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Palm Lifedrive
Thanks

I thought that may be the case with fictionwise. I'll just stick to buying the books that I can't get from the library from Sony. Sony is less expensive than the other ebook retailers except fictionwise.

I thought that the DRM was just for the library to make sure that you can't read the book past expiration date. I don't know the purpose of the DRM if you pay for the book. If I buy a book in print rather than electronic format, then I can read it and resell it on ebay, or loan it out to friends, or do whatever I want with it. If I buy an ebook it seems they want to limit what I can do with it even though I paid for it.
gamegirl is offline   Reply With Quote