Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #61
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The possibilities are endless.
Not yet mainstream though.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #62
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
It is a chicken-and-egg thing though.
If Apple included it in the latest iPhone and iPods, along with accessories that would allow you to automatically sync when you arrived home, automatically switch sound output to Airport speakers, etc... it would quickly become mainstream.
Apple are big enough that they can almost define mainstream.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #63
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
And who cares? I get to automate my tasks and it makes my life easier.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #64
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
There is more than paying when it comes to NFC. I use it daily to automate tasks with NFC tags.

Leave home: a tap disables WiFi, changes volume settings and a few more tweaks.
Get in the car: a tap enables GPS and launches the Nav app. When I leave the car, a 2nd tap disables GPS.
Leave the office: one tap disables WiFi, changes a few other settings and sends an SMS to say "I'm on my way".

The possibilities are endless.
How does this work? Sounds very neat, indeed.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #65
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nielsen View Post
How does this work? Sounds very neat, indeed.
It's actually very simple. You need this free app: NFC tasker

And obviously you have to buy some NFC tags (they cost about $1 each in bulk). I got mine from here: Tags for Droid

If you want to have access to every single thing your phone can do, then I would recommend you also get Tasker, though this is a paid app (well worth the money).

Tags can work in 2 ways, as a "one shot", where they do 1 task only, or as a toggle, they have 2 tasks that they run in succession (for instance, when leaving home, and when getting back home).

With NFC Tasker, you simply select a set of tasks you want to perform when you tap the tag, and then write these tasks to the tag. After that, you simply tap the tag with the back of your phone (actually, no need to physically touch it, it works at about 10mm distance), and the programmed tasks are executed on your phone.

Some sample things I do with tags: The toggle is extremely useful, I have one at home so when I leave it turns off WiFi, turns up the volume and sets some other settings; when I come back home, it basically reverts those changes on the 2nd tap. The same in the car, to turn on GPS and the nav app, and the 2nd tap to turn off GPS. You can also program a tag to have your friends associate their phones to your WiFi access point at home, they don't need to enter the password manually - they tap your tag, it turns WiFi on and associates with your router. I also have one that turns on WiFi hot-spot on my phone and pairs to my NookColor, so I can browser on the Nook while on the go - all with a simple tap.

Here's a sample video on youtube, you can find plenty more.

Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #66
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
This sounds like fun. I just bought 10 tags. Thanks for the information.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #67
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
A story worthy of a long discussion on MR you mean?

In Apples defense, while the technology is there in quite a few phones, the technology is nearly non existent everywhere else. I've yet to see a place where one could actually use NFC for anything.
I am so sorry that you heve never seen an airport.

NFC is far better than the bluetooth madness when you get several thousand passengers in a terminal with three hundred of them trying to pair to their bluetooth keyboards. The shorter range of NFC makes a hell of a lot of sense for keyboards.

Now if we could just get some better priced ones on the market.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #68
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Heard today that production of Apple equipment for the North American market at Foxconn will all be shifted from China to the new factory in Brazil. I am not in the electronics business, so I am not sure if this is completely accurate.

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-20-2012 at 08:49 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #69
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I think Samsung is fed up with apple antics they are pulling all the stops out in their recent ads:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...new-attack-ad/

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #70
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I think Samsung is fed up with apple antics they are pulling all the stops out in their recent ads:
Great commercial
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #71
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
It's actually very simple. You need this free app: NFC tasker

And obviously you have to buy some NFC tags (they cost about $1 each in bulk). I got mine from here: Tags for Droid

If you want to have access to every single thing your phone can do, then I would recommend you also get Tasker, though this is a paid app (well worth the money).

Tags can work in 2 ways, as a "one shot", where they do 1 task only, or as a toggle, they have 2 tasks that they run in succession (for instance, when leaving home, and when getting back home).

With NFC Tasker, you simply select a set of tasks you want to perform when you tap the tag, and then write these tasks to the tag. After that, you simply tap the tag with the back of your phone (actually, no need to physically touch it, it works at about 10mm distance), and the programmed tasks are executed on your phone.

Some sample things I do with tags: The toggle is extremely useful, I have one at home so when I leave it turns off WiFi, turns up the volume and sets some other settings; when I come back home, it basically reverts those changes on the 2nd tap. The same in the car, to turn on GPS and the nav app, and the 2nd tap to turn off GPS. You can also program a tag to have your friends associate their phones to your WiFi access point at home, they don't need to enter the password manually - they tap your tag, it turns WiFi on and associates with your router. I also have one that turns on WiFi hot-spot on my phone and pairs to my NookColor, so I can browser on the Nook while on the go - all with a simple tap.

Here's a sample video on youtube, you can find plenty more.
Maybe I'm just not mainstream enough, but that all sounds cool as #$%&.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #72
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Not as good as the original S2 one, but I did like the line:

"But they make the coolest adapters!"

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #73
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Not as good as the original S2 one, but I did like the line:

"But they make the coolest adapters!"

Graham
That, and how the ones in line for the "unnamed phone" looked appalled that someone's parents were getting in line.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #74
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
The iPhone 5 Doesn’t Have NFC — So What?

Quote:
What most people don’t realize is that NFC is not a one-size-fits-all technology. It has different modes that do different things and have different levels of security.
Quote:
No retailer will have multiple NFC boxes to take payments from different networks, and the NFC terminals shipping today do little more than just transmit the card number and transaction size. They’re not equipped to automatically accept the complex coupons and offers that make the digital wallet so exciting. On the technology side, carriers are trying one solution, phone manufacturers another, and technology companies yet another. Meanwhile, the consumer is standing at the register thinking “really, how hard is it to pull out my credit card?”
edit: http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/09...-galaxy-s-iii/

http://allthingsd.com/20120919/the-i...e-nfc-so-what/

Last edited by ScotiaBurrell; 09-20-2012 at 11:30 AM.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #75
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Ah, my narrow-minded friend, as I said earlier, there is more to NFC than payment terminals. And the fact that the US is behind the curve here, doesn't mean it's not useful.

Make no mistake, when the iphone eventually has NFC, it will be the greatest thing ever, and we will come back to this article about the "so what" and laugh our [beep] off.

Your phone has NFC; why don't you buy a handful of NFC tags and give it a try? It will open your eyes.

Last edited by afv011; 09-20-2012 at 11:44 AM.