Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Arrow downloading Calibre

Am I the only person who has trouble downloading Calibre each time there is an update? I've been using the software for a year and a half, and every single time I need to download a new version, it takes me several days or more to get one to fully download. I try the regular page, the "alternate" page, and numerous different mirror sites. Each time, they will download all but about 1.5 mb and then freeze there.
I'm currently using Windows 7 but previously had XP on a different computer with the same results. Could it be my anti-virus? (AVG) - normally if that's interfering it will pop up with a note asking if it's ok to download this, or install. Thanks for any help.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Am I the only person who has trouble downloading Calibre each time there is an update? I've been using the software for a year and a half, and every single time I need to download a new version, it takes me several days or more to get one to fully download. I try the regular page, the "alternate" page, and numerous different mirror sites. Each time, they will download all but about 1.5 mb and then freeze there.
I'm currently using Windows 7 but previously had XP on a different computer with the same results. Could it be my anti-virus? (AVG) - normally if that's interfering it will pop up with a note asking if it's ok to download this, or install. Thanks for any help.
AVG plays nice with Calibre, on my XP and W7 (64) systems (don't need it on Ubuntu )

What part of the world are you in?
Could your ISP be doing traffic shaping?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
AVG plays nice with Calibre, on my XP and W7 (64) systems (don't need it on Ubuntu )

What part of the world are you in?
Could your ISP be doing traffic shaping?
Check your DNS setting on your router, if they are set to default or get DNS from ISP, then change them to Open DNS or Google.

gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

I'm in the US. Sorry, I don't know what traffic shaping is, or how to check the DNS setting on the router - is that something physically ON the router, or something I'd find software-wise somewhere? (very untechy here) thanks.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
I'm in the US. Sorry, I don't know what traffic shaping is, or how to check the DNS setting on the router - is that something physically ON the router, or something I'd find software-wise somewhere? (very untechy here) thanks.
You will have to login to your router from a PC, to check or change the settings, most routers have the default login on the ser # sticker. Check your manual for directions.

Last edited by gbm; 03-04-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
...Sorry, I don't know ... how to check the DNS setting on the router - is that something physically ON the router, or something I'd find software-wise somewhere? (very untechy here) thanks.
It's a software/firmare setting. With most routers you access their internal settings via a special webpage that you access from a standard web browser.

The instruction manual will usually tell you the address to enter and the default password. If you can't find the manual you might try entering http://192.168.1.1 in your browsers address line; this is the most common address used for the default settings.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Rebooting has usually worked for me. Just had this happen two days ago.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
catsknit
Addict

Thanks, I haven't been able to access the router settings yet (can't find the paperwork at the moment with the password) but rebooting it did let me finally download - yay!