Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What was the last 5-star book you read?

Just curious! What was the last memorable book you read to which you'd give your highest rating?

For me, the last non-fiction standout was 'The Winter of our Disconnect' by Susan Maushart. It's a memoir of an experiment she did where she 'unplugged' her household (including three teenagers) from all things electronic for six months. She does present some researchy stuff on the internet, technology etc. But for the most part, the book errs on the memoir side, and she's funny, and witty and smart. It was a pleasure to read and a very thought-provoking book.

For fiction, I have to admit, I have been reading a lot of trashy genre stuff lately Most of my more edifying reads this year have been non-fiction. For literature that was truly worth recommending, I'd have to go back to 'Room' by Emma Donoghue, way back in September Very creative idea, and well pulled off.

Anyone else?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'm assuming you are referring to ebooks only, so I'll have to limit myself to fiction (I buy nonfiction in hardcover).

It has been a real struggle lately to find 5-star fiction ebooks. But there are some. I would give all of Vicki Tyley's mystery ebooks 5 stars. I would give all of Shayne Parkinson's historical fiction ebooks 5+ stars.

In fantasy, I really like Richard Tuttle. I would give most of his ebooks 5 stars, and none less than 4 stars.

Also worth 5 stars are Lee Goldberg's The Man With the Iron On Badge and Jana DeLeon's Mudbug trilogy.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Banana Yoshimoto's Kitchen was phenomenal for me. I have been reading alot of Japanese literature lately, and that one really struck a chord with me.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The last one was The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Exquisite!

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I just discovered Megan Abbott and zipped through her four noir novels. All five-stars; they just blew me away.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
perilous
perilous has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
I just finished "The Blind Assassin", by Margaret Atwood. It is a superb piece of writing! By far the best book I've read in many years.
perilous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
The last one was The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Exquisite!
This is my answer also. I also recently gave 5 stars to Catching Fire (second in the Hunger Games trilogy, but unfortunately the rest of the trilogy wasn't nearly as good), Hero of Ages (third in Mistborn trilogy), and Ghost Brigades (second in the Old Man's War series).

Quote:
Originally Posted by perilous View Post
I just finished "The Blind Assassin", by Margaret Atwood. It is a superb piece of writing! By far the best book I've read in many years.
This one's been on my tbr list for quite a while... I may have to read this one next. I've been suffering from decision paralysis lately, so thanks for helping me make a decision
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I really should read The Blind Assassin. I bought it for my mother as a gift a while ago. Been buying her a few Margaret Atwood books but reading none of them myself. I got her The Year of the Flood and have Oryx and Crake on order. I am a very good son what can I say.

I have read The Handmaid's Tale and was very impressed.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, about 5 years ago now.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by perilous View Post
I enjoyed that one a great deal, too.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

(And a couple of Scandinavian books that are not, and probably never will be, available in English)

Last edited by Asawi; 04-25-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, about 5 years ago now.
Have you read Never Let Me Go?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
I read His Robot Wife, a sequal of His Robot Girlfriend. New SciFi is always tasty.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I'm having a good run right now, so there's a few. As already mentioned, Shayne Parkinson - I'm almost finished with the second book of her Promises to Keep trilogy, and this one and the first are definitely 5-star. I suspect the third will be as well. The first book is free, the 2nd and 3rd are $1.99 (Smashwords). She also has a sequel to the trilogy, and I imagine that will end up on my virtual shelf soon.

Also very recently - The Black Garden by Joe Bright. Excellent 5-star novel I got from BeWrite.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
mayoi
mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2 and K3 Kindles, TF101
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

The bad: Her constant use of "he" to refer to Thomas Cromwell was irritating because I often wasn't sure which character the pronoun referred to. Having to re-read paragraphs just to be sure I understood who said what was annoying. She also uses quotations inconsistently for direct speech.

The good: Everything else! The characterizations, the rich descriptions of environment, clothing, memories, often lyrical. Once I got into the flow of it, I couldn't put it down.

Last edited by mayoi; 04-25-2011 at 02:20 PM.
mayoi is offline   Reply With Quote