Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Freeman Wills Crofts?

I enjoyed reading mystery books by this Irish author who died in 1957. Some of this books were published as early as 1920. He was considered as one of the 'big four' in the Golden Age of Detective stories, yet I've been unable to find any of his books on MR or other free ebook download sites except for the Pit-Prop Syndicate (1922), nor are any available from GoogleBooks. The absence of others suggests there is a problem with copyrights, yet from the date of his death his books should be pd in Canada and Australia.

Does anyone know why so few of his books have been reissued as free ebooks? If there is no copyright issue, I probably will scan a few and upload them to MR
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I think you'll find they are already in the MobileRead library, in a series of compendia by HarryT.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alex,
You may be correct but I can't find them: I've used the MR search for 'Crofts' and only find the one I mentioned. Also looked under 'c' and couldn't find other ones. There are two uploads of the Pit-Prop Syndicate but no others that I've been able to find. Also, I looked at all 43 pages of HarryT's attachments and found nothing by Crofts.

Last edited by bobcdy; 03-08-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I think you'll find they are already in the MobileRead library, in a series of compendia by HarryT.
Are they really? The name doesn't ring any bells for me, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
bobcdy
Fanatic

I guess I'll assume his books are pubic domain; when I have time I plan to scan a few and eventually upload them to MR
Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
My apologies, I should have checked. I was of course thinking of R. Austin Freeman.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
malcy
malcy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
He is my favourite golden age crime author.
Have all his books as physical copies, some as hardbacks which have been published in the UK over the last 20 years, plus a complete set of the paperbacks published by House of Stratus in the UK and US around the year 2000. That publisher went bust but a number of titles have been issued as print on demand physical books and on Kindle by Langtail Press in 2011.

You can get
The Cask
Inspector French and the Starvel Tragedy
Fatal Venture
Inspector French's Greatest Case
The Loss of the Jane Vosper

As these are still in copyright in the UK the Kindle versions are £4 to £5 each. It will be a long wait here as copyright is until 70 years after death now.

For some reason The Ponson Case is a paid Kindle ebook from Resurrected Press in both UK and US at around £2.

No others are available as ebooks I believe.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
bobcdy
Fanatic

malcy,
I haven't read many of his stories, but I have read in detail and almost finished creating an epub of The Cask. I was most impressed with this novel. Hopefully it will soon be posted on MR.