Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Calibre 1.0?

Calibre is now in version .9.8 What will happen when version 1.0 arrives? Will it cease to be free, available only by subscription or what?
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
We will start to impatiently wait for the bugs in multiuser calibre to be fixed in version 1.01.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
Calibre is now in version .9.8 What will happen when version 1.0 arrives? Will it cease to be free, available only by subscription or what?
Thanks,
Paul
there is no reason it can go to 0.10.1 if Kovid never wants to do a full 'release' version.

'release' implies that the rapid change goes away and the product is now Stale, er' Stable
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Apart from which remember that 0.9.8 is really 0.9.08 as far as the numbering scheme Kovid uses represents. Based on 0.7.x and 0.8.x there could easily be another 40-50 releases (i.e. another year) before Kovid feels the desire to make it a 1.0 officially. I would suspect he has certain items on his todo list (such as the refactored database backend) that he wants done before he considers it 1.0.

This is not aimed at calibre/Sigil BTW but personally I've never really agreed with projects using 0.x numbering schemes which are actively being developed over many years. It puts some users off installing them (because they would rather wait for the 1.0 version). If you were googling for a tool to do something, and saw one at version 0.5 and another at version 1.2 which would you start with? For that reason my plugins all start at 1.0 - the only time I make an exception to this is a genuine alpha release that I put in the development forum. However that is just my opinion, and equally every developer running their project can decide how they like to use their numbering schemes. I know user_none has stated certain features he wants to see in Sigil before it gets called "1.0" and I'm guessing Kovid feels similar.

Both are open source and both aren't going away any time soon so just don't worry about it...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually, I dont care about particular features in 1.0. As far as I am concerned calibre will hit 1.0 when I feel like enough features have accumulated since 0.9.0 to justify a major version bump. Feature and stability wise, calibre could have been called 1.0 years ago.

I could just as well go to 0.10, but the advantage with 1.0 is at least there will be no more questions about when calibre will reach 1.0

My development style is not really roadmap driven. I just work on stuff when the urge moves me. When enough stuff accumulates, the major version number ticks over.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Well When I first found Calibre back in its .6 days I thought it was Awsome and wondered why it was a pre-release version. Of course I didn't and don't ask for much, My main concern is with converting files to epub and I get frustrated when Calibre or Sigil doesn't pick up my Chapter headings as a TOC
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Actually, I dont care about particular features in 1.0. As far as I am concerned calibre will hit 1.0 when I feel like enough features have accumulated since 0.9.0 to justify a major version bump. Feature and stability wise, calibre could have been called 1.0 years ago.

I could just as well go to 0.10, but the advantage with 1.0 is at least there will be no more questions about when calibre will reach 1.0

My development style is not really roadmap driven. I just work on stuff when the urge moves me. When enough stuff accumulates, the major version number ticks over.
Maybe you should think of leaving the '0' alltogether, that way you're on version 9.8 now
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
I personally hardly look at any revision number other than to fetch the latest version and to see the according revision notes. The important thing is how "active" the application and its community is. In that respect calibre scores high notes in my book. Just my 2cts.

DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Since the goalposts keep moving, maybe there is no such thing as "final" ... new devices, new firmware, new quirks.
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I have always (until Calibre) associated 0.x version numbers with alpha/beta releases.

At first, I assumed this convention to be true of Calibre also. I was not using it for long before I realised it was not.

Clearly this is a stable, generously provisioned product that has been at a production standard for years.

Thanks Kovid. Any version number you choose is fine.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #11
jeffkey1
jeffkey1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4
Perhaps when we reach 1.0 we can all make a (another) donation to Kovid to support the run up to version 2.0 :-)
jeffkey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Calibre 1.0? NOPE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And the answer is: 0.9.10
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
And the answer is: 0.9.10
This was never a question in this thread. Every version of calibre has followed the same path.

0.5.9 -> 0.5.10
0.6.9 -> 0.6.10
0.7.9 -> 0.7.10
0.8.9 -> 0.8.10
0.9.9 -> 0.9.10

The question was when the time comes will calibre advance from 0.9 to 1.0 or to 0.10 or something altogether different.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-14-2012 at 09:53 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote