Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Wow! My MIL lives in Hennepin County. Wonder if she will get me a library card?
They have a pretty good selection of books...
http://hclib.lib.overdrive.com
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it's cloud-based, does that imply online reading, rather than downloads?
When accessed via computer, it dumps the file in the Digital Editions folder. The Kansas library website says that it's compatible with Kobos and Nooks, but it will work with anything that uses ADE.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Wow! My MIL lives in Hennepin County. Wonder if she will get me a library card?
If you think that's something, the three library systems I use most often allow 20, 25, and 30 titles to be checked out; with 10, 25, and 20 holds respectively.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
Ed_Grey
Ed_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
If only I could check out a book!

I keep getting a failure message when I try to check out a book. The message makes it seem like even though the book is listed as available, it's been checked out by someone else. This occurs with any book I try to check out.

It worked again later, but this suggests to me that this piece of 3M software, like other 3M software I've encountered over the years, is not ready for public use.

Last edited by Ed_Grey; 05-04-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Ed_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which library are you trying to access? The 3M software works fine on both my android tablet and my computer; I haven't had any issues with checking out books in either location.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Which library are you trying to access? The 3M software works fine on both my android tablet and my computer; I haven't had any issues with checking out books in either location.
What are your impressions of 3M so far; and how does it compare to OverDrive in terms of ease-of-use?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #22
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If you think that's something, the three library systems I use most often allow 20, 25, and 30 titles to be checked out; with 10, 25, and 20 holds respectively.
Wow. Are you married? Looking to be adopted?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Monkey always in need of banana provider.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
polly
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What are your impressions of 3M so far; and how does it compare to OverDrive in terms of ease-of-use?
In many ways it's easier. I like that it remembers who I am when I launch it. No navigating to the website and logging on required. I really like that when I search it, I only get ebooks back and not audiobooks as happens with OverDrive. Of course, it came just as I purchased a PRS T1, which works with the three OverDrive libraries I can access but not 3M. Books that I borrow from the 3M library still show up in my Digital Editions folder, so I can sideload them as needed.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
We can do 15 of each through OverDrive in Hennepin County right now.
Yeah, for the Denver Library system we can have 20 checked out, not sure about holds...

For the Aurora Library system it is 3 checked out, 3 holds
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #26
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Wow. Are you married? Looking to be adopted?
Everybody needs a monkey. You might be able to ply him with bananas.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #27
Ed_Grey
Ed_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of lightEd_Grey is a glorious beacon of light

How much time do you get when a book on the "Hold" list becomes available?

I've almost never been able to get a book on my Hold list checked out when it becomes available. I usually log in about once a day, and that doesn't help. There's also no email notice about held books becoming available.

Usually the books are simply gone from my Hold list. Today, one of the books on hold showed up as available, but when I clicked Check Out, I got an error message saying that I couldn't get it, and that maybe someone else got it.

This thing is so not ready for prime time!

Whatever problems there might be with Overdrive, at least everything seems to work as it's supposed to.

Last edited by Ed_Grey; 06-03-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #28
polly
Evangelist

I think your problem might be specific to your library's implementation. I have not problems with putting holds on books, notification when the book is available, followed by checking it out within 72 hours with my Kansas library. Books stay on my hold list until I check them out. Not many books yet in my library, but the software seems sound.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
Ed_Grey

The latest version of the software I can use is a beta version from March 28. Maybe you have a later version.

More problems:

1) I have several books in my Hold list that have been "Available in less than 1 day" for about a week and still not available in reality.

2) There's no wish list.

3) With the same search each time, the "Load More" button is unpredictable. It shows wildly different numbers of books using the same search word.

4) The Search function seems to search all the text in a book, so you end up with long lists of irrelevant books.

4a) Not all instances of a search word show up. For instance, I can't search on "eggers" and find all of Dave Eggers's books in the system. "The Wild Things" doesn't appear. I found that last book by searching on some trivial word like "that." Lots of otherwise invisible books show up by searching for trivial words.

5) Memory leak - if you run this thing for a while, it keeps taking up more and more memory, and often using up lots of CPU when it should be idle.

6) Downloads fail too often, and have to restart from the beginning. (Overdrive can pick up from where it left off, using the temp download file created by Adobe Digital Editions.)

7) Books I download sometimes disappear within a day. The books get downloaded into my Digital Editions folder, which is also used for Overdrive books that get read by Adobe Digital Editions software.

Last edited by Ed_Grey; 06-05-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #30
Ed_Grey

It's now been about two weeks that I've had some books listed as "available in less than 1 day."