Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How has your spending on ebooks been since the agency switch?
The same; I am buying as many books as I was before 24 13.87%
Less; I have not bought as much as I would have before 131 75.72%
More; I have bought more than I would have bought before 3 1.73%
Other 15 8.67%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #31
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I chose the first option with the declaration that I have been buying more indie books from Smashwords etc.

There is some damn fine SF and Fantasy books available not tied into the agency 5 dictatorship.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #32
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Slightly less, but I don't buy a huge amount of new releases unless they are favorite authors.

Also I bought too many books at sale prices and ran out of book money :lol
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #33
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
For those not buying ebooks or buying less, are you turning to buying them in paper form? Just curious since maybe that is what publishers actually want.
I am if its a book I really want to read...but waiting until I can buy them on the secondary market or bargain bins (not what the publishers want).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #34
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I have been reading public domain and cheap indie stuff from Smashwords. There is so much good, and affordable, reading out there that I might never buy a big 5 book, or anything over $5.00 for that matter.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #35
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I only buy books that are cheaper now than they were before. My TBR list is full, I am set to wait this one out. For general reading I don't buy pbooks anymore.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #36
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I could have chosen "less", but I chose "other". I haven't bought any book since the change. I already was getting more and more disgusted with Fictionwise, but after the change, I can't find one book that I want and can actually buy. And as 99.999999% of all my books come from Fictionwise (I've only ever bought 2 books from another shop), I don't really know where to look now...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #37
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
I have picked up a few multiformat books from Fictionwise, and several books from the Sony store since I got the discounted gift cards. But these were almost all in the $7.99 or less range. I think the only book I have spent more than $10.00 on was a breadmaking cookbook I had to have and could not find locally in paper. I have not bought a fiction paper book in months. I only buy non-fiction in paper now.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:12 AM   #38
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have to choose: OTHER.

I've spent much less at the ebook retailers. But I stocked up on Sony gift cards when Target had them for 40% off, so I've spent a lot of money on potential ebooks.

It's just so sad to go to Fictionwise for 3 weeks in a row now and buy nothing, nothing, nothing...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:34 AM   #39
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Less.

Georestrictions removes the possibility of buying lots to start with.

There was one book though that I would have gotten and can actually buy - part of a series, but now that it is 40% more than the earlier volumes I will skip it.
I am in almost identical situation.
Georestriction killed my shopping by 70% and the rest was annihilated by high prices.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #40
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I have bought less, as Fictionwise is now a ghost town. I have $18 in Micropay but nothing I can spot to use it on.

However, I have bought a few from Sony at $7, and some from UK sites where they still seem to discount the books (which is odd, because I thought that had all been done away with).
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #41
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
I have bought less, as Fictionwise is now a ghost town. I have $18 in Micropay but nothing I can spot to use it on.
Ditto.
I still have some $10 in Micropay and have no clue what to do with them.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #42
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
I did not know whether to choose less or other as it it actually Zero for me, so I guess less is probably the most accurate.

It has done me a big favour, saving me quite a lot of $'s a month, as I am only reading what I had already bought and am discovering some excellent Indi writers.

I will not on principle buy books from the *big 5* until they drop their silly restrictive practices.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #43
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I am in almost identical situation.
Georestriction killed my shopping by 70% and the rest was annihilated by high prices.
Yep, same here. Luckily, I have plenty of books to read...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #44
Grumpyreader
Connoisseur
Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.Grumpyreader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS505, Kindle 2 Int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
However, I have bought a few from Sony at $7, and some from UK sites where they still seem to discount the books (which is odd, because I thought that had all been done away with).
The UK sites are all still offering discounts, even for the big 5 new releases.
Not sure if the agency agreement only applies to US tied stores or whether the decision on the net book agreement has scuppered it.

In fact even Amazon.com's kindle offerings differ in price depending on if you're in the US or UK - JR Ward's "Lover Mine" isn't available now unless you're in Latin America or the Caribbean; it's $16.27. Wait until 6th May and you can get the kindle version in the UK from Amazon.com for $10.82. Very odd.

Last edited by Grumpyreader; 04-29-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Grumpyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #45
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
For those not buying ebooks or buying less, are you turning to buying them in paper form? Just curious since maybe that is what publishers actually want.
I haven't bought a paper book since 1999. They are not gaining a paper sale from me. If it is a must read I will check it out from the library.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote