Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
BL calls for action on updating DRM

See http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-6119043.html .

Wonder if BL have clout enough to get anything started?
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Funny you say that. I've read similar things before and the arguments are persuasive. Libraries are one of our best allies in working out the DRM problems. Even against the power of the RIAA, MPAA, publishers, etc.

When documents go digital, if they stay with DRM like we have currently, then even libraries can't guarantee that the books will be available to patrons in the future, and that's something that might generate some groundswell of interest for the issue. But it's the same problem as individuals have. Libraries will, hopefully, join together and be very active and vocal in fighting the fundamental attack on the ability of libraries to serve us.

Unfortunately, we might just end up with special library editions that have a special DRM which expires in, say, 10yrs, or has a library-only key that can be used in the future only if the digital edition is not usable. Or some similar restriction. DRM can actually be pretty flexible. It's the mechanism and compatibility problems and the particular settings that are chosen that make it hard on the consumer.

Hey, if we could get a universal e-book format and DRM for consumers that expires in 2 yrs from purchase, we'd be all set, and I think the full fledged e-book revolution might be here almost immediately. But not likely.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Hey, if we could get a universal e-book format and DRM for consumers that expires in 2 yrs from purchase, we'd be all set, and I think the full fledged e-book revolution might be here almost immediately.
That may be the best solution I've heard yet, Bob!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I agree. A poster in another site's thread mentioned temporary DRM recently, and it makes sense to me.

As an author and reader, today's permanent DRM solutions are bad enough to make me avoid them at both ends. I would consider applying DRM, if it would expire after a reasonable amount of time designed to allow the author (and the distributor) to profit reasonably from the sale, then allow the customer free reign to trade, give away or even resell (ala Garage Sale capitalism).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote