Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
New frontlit HD reader with MP3 & page turn buttons

The Icarus Illumina HD e-reader with front light is a new, Dutch 6 inch eink reader with page turn buttons, frontlight, MP3 playback with 3.5 headphone jack, and gyroscope (it auto rotates)

EURO 110 including taxes or for 129 on amazon.de (see more pics there)

The product pictures are a bit bizarre, with gigantic font on them, so maybe they are targetting seniors who often have worse eyesight?

Image and article found on lesen.net

Last edited by xendula; 09-20-2013 at 11:54 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Not too keen on the design, but full points for the page turn buttons and touch screen combination, plus SD card slot Amazon please take note

And yes think you're right about the target consumer group given the product pictures. The floor stand accessory is also, erm, interesting.

Edit £109.95 on Amazon UK via third-party seller

Last edited by Yolina; 09-21-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Doesn't look bad I'd consider it as long as it lets you use much smaller fonts.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Quite heavy at 230 g.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It seems to match up well to the others in terms of processor speed and screen resolution (as well as the price), but I think I like the more slimline style of the PW and Kobo Aura enough to edge out my desire for page turn buttons.

If only they'd made it a little smaller by doing away with the d-pad at the bottom it would have been very tempting, but as it is, it's only 11mm shorter than the Kindle Keyboard.

Kindle Keyboard
191 mm (H) x 122 mm (W) x 9 mm (D) - 247 g

Icarus Illumina HD
180mm x 123mm x 10mm - 229 g

Kindle PW
169 mm x 117 mm x 9.1 mm - 206 g

Kobo Aura
150 x 114 x 8.1 mm - 174 g

I've been happy with my Kindle but the diminutive size and weight of the Aura is tempting me most right now.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Doesn't look bad I'd consider it as long as it lets you use much smaller fonts.
According to the manual, http://www.totalereaders.com/icarus/...ser_manual.pdf there is a wide range of font sizes, and you can install your own fonts.
Despite being on the heavy side, this looks like a great reader to me, as long as the frontlight quality is good (ie. better than the kobo glo).
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I think I may just have found my next device. What clinches it for me is the fact that you can access a regular folder structure, rather than having to rely on collections, which I positively detest. The fact that it's also inexpensive is just icing on an already very tasty cake.

Thanks for posting this!
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
I think I may just have found my next device. What clinches it for me is the fact that you can access a regular folder structure, rather than having to rely on collections, which I positively detest. The fact that it's also inexpensive is just icing on an already very tasty cake.

Thanks for posting this!
You're welcome. The Frankfurt International Bookshow is going on at the moment, so I've been stalking the German ebook sites

Last edited by xendula; 09-22-2013 at 12:59 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
maslow
maslow began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO by FNAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The Icarus Illumina HD e-reader with front light is a new, Dutch 6 inch eink reader with page turn buttons, frontlight, MP3 playback with 3.5 headphone jack, and gyroscope (it auto rotates)

EURO 110 including taxes or for 129 on amazon.de (see more pics there)
On amazon.fr it is also EUR 110 and also Icarus itself.

There is a ICARUS Pocket in the house somewhere. It looks quite the same I guess; not fancy like my KOBO GLO, but solid (dropped it a few times on our concrete floor and still alive and kicking). I really was looking for a POCKETBOOK TOUCH LUX which has about the same features, also the mp3, which has a very good press in France.

The thing that bothers me most is the after sales support. KOBO is a mess, the other two I cannot really discover. Maybe that is a good sign?
maslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
In my experience it does tend to be a good sign. It is certainly better than googling "some_device + problem_description" and immediately getting thousands of hits.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
If only it didn't have the giant bevels!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
If only it didn't have the giant bevels!
I concur. BUT, the fact that it has pageturn buttons makes up for that in my eyes.

I think I'm going to go check this out...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Page turn buttons and MP3 support are pretty strong features, and it's inexpensive, too. The placement of the buttons seems a bit off, and the device looks a tad bulky, but overall it interests me more than any of the other offerings this autumn. Then again, I'm still in my Nexus 7 phase where I use it for everything, including all my reading.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend
JakesFriend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
Yolina,
I bought a stand similar to the one shown (for my Sony and Kindle). It's great (and kind of strange looking)! I have a larger model, and it holds my readers while I sit in my recliner.

Here's a link (mine is slightly different):

http://www.ergovancouver.net/images_...levo_ebook.htm

Last edited by JakesFriend; 09-23-2013 at 08:58 AM.
JakesFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
This reader basically covers all bases.

Touchscreen for navigation: check
Buttons for navigation: check
Buttons for turning pages: check
Frontlight: check
Large(er) memory of 4GB: check
SD-card slot: check
Custom fonts: check
Good price: check

If the software is advanced enough and stable, I can see why people waiting for a frontlit reader with buttons are excited about this device.

edit: a floor stand for a 200gr e-reader? Wow. People are getting REALLY lazy nowadays. Maybe they should also add a function that turns pages at exactly the speed you read with. Maybe they should integrate a "talking book feature" so you don't even need to read at all.

Oh, wait...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote