Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
Adobe reader?

I noticed on ebooks.com that they have adobe reader format. Will this work on the Sony Reader?

I'm looking for Non-fiction Horse books that I can put on the Sony Reader.

SK
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It won't if it has DRM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Correct me if I'm wrong but Adobe Reader format is actually PDF and it is compatible with the Sony reader to some extent... unless it is locked by DRM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
The Adobe Digital Editions format is an encrypted PDF. You cannot use it with the Sony Reader. For a list of sources, see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11052
/Randy
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
fishcube
Connoisseur

How do I know if its DRM? What is DRM?

SK
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Digital Rights Management
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Digital Rights Management -- it's basically a way that publishers attempt to prevent wholesale copying of the work -- in other words: copy protection.

Trouble is, there are many approaches to DRM and they're not all inter-compatible. The other trouble is that DRM is mostly a nuisance to honest users, and less than a mild annoyance to those who actually want to rip off the content.

If you have to enter a password, or if it's listed as "Secure PDF" or something similar, then it's DRMed.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
fishcube
Connoisseur

Bummer... I had found a few books from ebooks.com and they are all adobe.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What books are these? Have you tried other shops for them such as Fictionwise, or BooksOnBoard to see if there might be an MS Reader format which the DRM can be removed and the file converted to LRF?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Guess you may be stuck with viewing these on your PC or laptop. Here's something to think about though... While many eBooks in PDF format are crippled by DRM, if the rights to print a hard copy are enabled you can print it out to another, non-DRM'd, PDF using a PostScript or PDF print driver. If you Google some, you'll have plenty to chose from, though you might want to throw the key-word freeware into your search.

If some people are wondering, some eBooks I've ran across that have been locked with DRM did have the print feature enable, though it's usually limited to a certain DPI resolution; the ones I had were restricted to output at 300dpi, which isn't bad quality.

Just a thought. Good luck!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
fishcube
Connoisseur

I'm looking for instructional books on Horses and riding (Western). I found this one at fictionwise:
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook27251.htm

but its in secure adobe reader 7 ??

I've looked at some other sites and can't seem to find any except in adobe format such as at www.ebooks.com They seem to have the best selection.

SK
Old 09-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here's two in Microsoft Reader formar, which can be converted to LRF.
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...=&s=&format=MD
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What books are these? Have you tried other shops for them such as Fictionwise, or BooksOnBoard to see if there might be an MS Reader format which the DRM can be removed and the file converted to LRF?
Removing the DRM from a protected book may or may not be illegal, depending on where you live. The BooksOnBoard web site is clear that Adobe books only work on PCs that can connect to the Internet. Handhelds are specificly excluded. See: http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...#handheldadobe
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:25 AM   #14
Stephen Cole
Stephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy S7
Adobe PDFs on eBooks.com and Sony Reader

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and just noticed your post concerning getting PDF ebooks onto Sony Reader. I've copied below a statement that we publish concerning this issue that might clarify things. Hope this helps.

Recently there has been unconfirmed speculation that Sony will at some point enable retailers like FictionWise, eBooks.com, etc to sell ebooks in their proprietary format. But, like I said, that's not confirmed.

Best wishes,

Stephen Cole
CEO
eBooks.com
Sony has announced that their own ebook-store "is currently the only store where you can purchase books for your Sony Reader". If you buy a Sony ebook reader, you need to buy ebooks from their own ebook-store.

Almost all the ebooks that are published by well-known publishers are "copy protected". To read a copy protected ebook on the Sony device, it needs to be in their proprietary BBeB format. As far as I'm aware, only Sony sells ebooks in the proprietary BBeB format. Therefore, for all practical purposes, if you buy a Sony ebook reader, you'll need to shop at their site for commercially published ebooks.

Although there's quite a lot of material out there on the web that is not protected, those ebooks are often of dubious quality, from unknown authors and publishers.

Sony's content web site seems to have about 10,000 published ebooks (ours has 100,000), so there is already a range of titles to choose from there.
I suggest you write to Sony or check their web site to clarify and confirm the facts.
Stephen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:13 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Cole View Post
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and just noticed your post concerning getting PDF ebooks onto Sony Reader. I've copied below a statement that we publish concerning this issue that might clarify things. Hope this helps.

Recently there has been unconfirmed speculation that Sony will at some point enable retailers like FictionWise, eBooks.com, etc to sell ebooks in their proprietary format. But, like I said, that's not confirmed.

Best wishes,

Stephen Cole
CEO
eBooks.com
Sorry, Stephen, but you're a little "behind the times". Fictionwise have been offering Sony's LRF format for quite some time now as one of the options for their "multiformat" e-books and magazines.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote