Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #76
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
Hmm. I've been able to remove the card and still come back to the place I was in all of the books I have opened.

I dod find that I had to get at least up to the "books" menu when I remove the card or I'll end up with file corruption on the book I'm actually in.

I also always switch the card with the the unit *on*. It comes out while the unit is on, and it gets inserted while the unit is on. That way the reader gets a chance to recognize the switch and handle it -- if I have added new books it can take a while to scan, but that's ok.
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:38 PM   #77
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
I haven't seen these listed, but they are helpful to me:

- Holding down the "Size" button lets you switch between Landscape and Portrait mode without going through the menu. In Landscape mode all 3 fontsizes (S/M/L) are larger than in portrait mode for people who have a hard time reading the smaller sizes. (just a reminder really)

- If you run down the battery completely, you won't be able to recharge it through the USB port since it can't establish a connection to the host PC. You'll have to dig out your AC charger. (I assume the dock has separate connectors, so it will be OK?)
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #78
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys
... while the unit was in the off mode I removed the SD card then put it back in. When I turned it on it was not at my book I was reading but the menu with NO SD card then it detected it and showed the contents (my place in the book was LOST!!) so I had to find it again. so if your gonna remove the SD card mark your place first.
Hmmm. I've seen this with MMC cards, but it usually behaves with full-up SD cards. Just to check: the card in question was an SD and not an MMC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe
If you run down the battery completely, you won't be able to recharge it through the USB port since it can't establish a connection to the host PC. You'll have to dig out your AC charger. (I assume the dock has separate connectors, so it will be OK?)
The cradle ought to work fine, it runs the power through the central connection on the bottom edge, but I believe it's electrically the same as the round connector.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:45 PM   #79
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
i tried removing the sd card while it was off a couple times, and each time the unit wouldn't turn on (had to reset). swapping while on seems like the way to go. Also, insert/remove the cards swiftly and without hesitation, or it can also crash from that.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #80
Aerlock
Aerlock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
I usually read in the horizontal position as need the largest size type. I just discovered while reading it at lunch, that can use the open cover as a prop to set the book up at an angle.

Now I can eat my sandwich without getting crumbs on the reader.
Use the cover as a prop when reading in bed myself. I leave the book in portrait mode, lay on my side, prop my head up on a couple pillows and read away. I only have to move my hands out from under the nice comfy covers to hit the page button every minute or so. And as an added bonus if I happen to fall asleep while reading the book won't fall off the bed and loose my place.
Aerlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #81
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Maybe we need a remote control so you can keep your hands under the covers on those cold winter nights.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:41 AM   #82
memobug
Connoisseur
memobug began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-505/Kindle DX/iPhone 3G
I pop my Reader into a zip-loc sandwich bag and read right through lunch. No problem with greasy fries, sticky fingers, or pasta sauce.

Long's quart-size sandwich bags (7x8 inches) are recommended.

Regards,

Matt
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:19 AM   #83
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
If you want a wrist strap or what ever you want to call it. And dont mind it saying Wii on it. At Gamestop they sell a strap plus Glove for the Wii joystick for 10 dollars.

If already posted just ignore this...
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #84
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Let's not forget this really basic tip... to safely snap the cover back onto the Reader, place the reader face down on a flat surface to distribute the force, and then press the cover onto the back of the Reader until it's all snapped in. You don't want to accidentally damage the screen if you put a finger in the wrong place.
Great idea Bob! Just out of curiosity I removed the cover to see how small the device was (and see how it was attached, thought velcro or something), talk about a biahhtch trying to re-attach. I didn't want to crack it or anything, so was being real careful. Lightbulb didn't go off, so kept working it until it was on. What a brainfart!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #85
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by each
It is same with PDF docs, Reader would display the Title in the Document Properties first. If there isn't any Title, it would use the file name.
Yeah, what a pita too! If you have Acrobat Pro installed, you can simply right-click (within Windows) the PDF and change the values for the file w/o having to open it within Acrobat. This doesn't work with Acrobat Reader, so you'll need the Pro version or some freeware PDF meta-tag editor.

[Edit] Yup, after reading through this group I did see a ref to a meta-tag editor for PDF's, but still quicker this way for those with the Pro edition.

Last edited by Azayzel; 01-20-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #86
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I really wish i could use the Reader without the cover, but it's almost like Sony found just the right type of brushed metal to make you never want to do that. Maybe there's some felt sticker I can put on?

As for renaming pdfs, PDFrasterFarian lets you do that while it's converting the pdf to be all pretty.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #87
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
I really wish i could use the Reader without the cover, but it's almost like Sony found just the right type of brushed metal to make you never want to do that. Maybe there's some felt sticker I can put on?
There are, I use these and they work great (I use the clear strips)
http://www.egrips.com/
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #88
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
Self adhesive felt is available at craft stores in a wide range of colors. That's what I use to line my boxes.

Place a sheet of paper on the bottom of your reader and trace the outline of the reader, the round middle clip and the two little feet. Cut the paper and fit it to the reader. Put that paper over a sheet of felt and cut with an Xacto or a pair of scissors. You can also trace it on the paper backing side.
Then apply to the back of the reader. Be careful because when you take off the protective paper it has a tendancy to fold and stick to itself or stretch out of shape. Try to lay it face side on a flat surface and drop the reader on it instead. A sheet of felt costs about $0.50. There is also a kind of rubber foam but I personally find it too thick.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:10 AM   #89
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Hmmm mine is the opposite. I can only remove and reinsert the SD or MS card while the unit is OFF

Most of the time if I do this while its ON it gets upset with me.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #90
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
How exactly does it get upset with you?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote