Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
anybody going to CES ?

so ? anybody going ? i ask because, besides the obvious interest of seeing all the new liseuses that will be demo-ed there, and talking to the various liseuse-making reps, i just found out that a project i worked on will also be demo-ed there. i'd love to know how that goes, if someone happened to be passing through. i'm not yet sure whether it's confidential or not, i'll let you know when i hear back (i've just asked).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I would love to go But I am not. But if I did I would be wearing a woot shirt, in the hopes I might be able to flag down some woot staff...they go every year.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
I will be going to CES 2009. I'll report back my findings..

Fabian.
I found this in the Thread titled CES 2009.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I found this in the Thread titled CES 2009.
thanks !!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

THE PROJECT

also, i've heard back from the person who hired me for the project, it is not confidential, so here is the description :

the company is DeCarta, they made the technology used in Google maps, and it's a similar application to that. there is a map in the page (like google maps) and a search function and you can search for a business / service or a location.

you can create an account which will allow you to store different locations and routes and it can send the location to a device like a Tomtom (i don't know what a tomtom is, but i added that name to an example list of devices). it can calculate a good route to or from that location. you can store several default locations (home, work, school...) and routes (home to work, work to school...) and ask the api to calculate the best route to add the new location to, and then send the info to your device. you can register several devices, so you can also send it to your mother's device or your friend's or whatever. it might be able to take into account traffic conditions and weather alerts as well. there will be more features added to it, i don't even know everything they have planned.

i was not at all involved in the conception of the project, i only had a very very tiny role writing some code to add features on to existing pages and create static html demo pages, but still i admit i'm rather excited to know that a project i participated in will be demo-ed at CES !
Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
TomTom is name of a GPS navigation system (competitor of Garmin). Very cool about the product and hope it does well!
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

right, Garmin was also in that list. that makes sense, thanks. i was thinking of a device like a cellphone, that might work sometimes too. it does seem like a cool product ! i'm rather excited to be working on it. i hope it does well.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sort of a networked GPS/routing thing with route sharing built in and calculation of routes offloaded to a central server or something?

I hope the project offers a lot of features with a great interface, because price=0 as in the navigation products below is hard to beat. All you need is a GPS-enabled modern-ish phone. Or a bluetooth/serial GPS module it can talk to.

With that whole web 2.0 social stuff and route/place/map sharing:
http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/index.php
Without:
http://www.amazegps.com/welcome.php

I've used nav4all for more than a year now, and it has never steered me wrong in any place I have found myself in.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Sort of a networked GPS/routing thing with route sharing built in and calculation of routes offloaded to a central server or something?
heu, probably, yes... everything i know about it deduced from the demo pages i was making, so my info is pretty limited.

Quote:
I hope the project offers a lot of features with a great interface, because price=0 as in the navigation products below is hard to beat. All you need is a GPS-enabled phone. Or a bluetooth/serial GPS module it can talk to.

With that whole web 2.0 social stuff and route/place/map sharing:
http://www.nav4all.com/site2/www.nav4all.com/index.php
Without:
http://www.amazegps.com/welcome.php

I've used nav4all for more than a year now, and it has never steered me wrong in any place I have found myself in.
i'm pretty sure the price of this one will be 0 as well. i believe it's going to be an online api like google maps. i could be wrong though. it is probably something similar to those things you linked to but i don't think you install it on your device ; i was working on browser interfaces. you register your devices to your account, and then it sends the info to the device.

sorry i don't have more detailed info !
Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
also, i've heard back from the person who hired me for the project, it is not confidential, so here is the description :

the company is DeCarta, they made the technology used in Google maps, and it's a similar application to that. there is a map in the page (like google maps) and a search function and you can search for a business / service or a location.

you can create an account which will allow you to store different locations and routes and it can send the location to a device like a Tomtom (i don't know what a tomtom is, but i added that name to an example list of devices). it can calculate a good route to or from that location. you can store several default locations (home, work, school...) and routes (home to work, work to school...) and ask the api to calculate the best route to add the new location to, and then send the info to your device. you can register several devices, so you can also send it to your mother's device or your friend's or whatever. it might be able to take into account traffic conditions and weather alerts as well. there will be more features added to it, i don't even know everything they have planned.

i was not at all involved in the conception of the project, i only had a very very tiny role writing some code to add features on to existing pages and create static html demo pages, but still i admit i'm rather excited to know that a project i participated in will be demo-ed at CES !
Anyone gathering the irony of The Queen, who a) doesn't know what a TomTom is and b) doesn't drive, working on a project like this?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So the revenue model would have to be something like advertising.

Hmmm, interesting.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Anyone gathering the irony of The Queen, who a) doesn't know what a TomTom is and b) doesn't drive, working on a project like this?
what ? i know how to code html and css, that's all anybody was asking of me ! no need for a driver's licence for that !
Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #13
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Hey, I don't have a driver's license either. Cars are for dinosaurs.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
So the revenue model would have to be something like advertising.

Hmmm, interesting.
yes, that would be my guess. in the "results" screen (keyword "pizza") i made there were some regular results and then there was a "sponsored result" which would be an advertiser. it got slightly different graphical treatment and a different coloured pin. that's probably where the revenue comes from, at least partially.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Hey, I don't have a driver's license either. Cars are for dinosaurs.
exactly ! who needs em when you've got feet, bicycles, and a good public transport system ?

of course, i do occasionally wish i had one, for things like going to ikea...

Tags
ces