Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Smile I just *have* to share this: Blender Defender

Cat training, is rather like cat herding, only more so.

Here's one really sharp person that came up with an excellent and amusing solution.

The last vid is my favorite.

http://www.plasma2002.com/blenderdefender/
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hee ! finally, a solution that works !!

now, how to adapt this for my own use... possibly in the context of the shums rather than the cats (i don't have any plants and not much counters).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
what a splendid idea .... but rather unfair ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I gotta get me one of tem! I have a banana plant that Thspud the Nip Addicted just thinks of as a toilet. Nearly killed it three times, now. Even he could learn with that device.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
If you are truly desperate to save your plant and get some workable cat discipline going, I recommend a small spray bottle filled with plain old white vinegar. When you see the cat doing something bad, or quickly making an exit grab it and take back over to the place and spray it. IF you can stand the stink of the vinegar yourself this is highly effective. We got this idea from a friend who attended the Cat Tales Zoo School, which specializes in teaching students to work with big cats like lions, pumas, and tigers as well as functioning as a big cat rescue. The zoo uses hot vinegar diluted with water and big spray bottles, but we find that normal household white vinegar works just find for normal house cats. Our cats hate the smell and the taste is worse. Just be careful not to get it in their eyes, and bathe the animal quickly if it happens. Yes, this is rather mean, it does work.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
If you are truly desperate to save your plant and get some workable cat discipline going, I recommend a small spray bottle filled with plain old white vinegar. When you see the cat doing something bad, or quickly making an exit grab it and take back over to the place and spray it. IF you can stand the stink of the vinegar yourself this is highly effective. We got this idea from a friend who attended the Cat Tales Zoo School, which specializes in teaching students to work with big cats like lions, pumas, and tigers as well as functioning as a big cat rescue. The zoo uses hot vinegar diluted with water and big spray bottles, but we find that normal household white vinegar works just find for normal house cats. Our cats hate the smell and the taste is worse. Just be careful not to get it in their eyes, and bathe the animal quickly if it happens. Yes, this is rather mean, it does work.
We use just plain water in a spray bottle, set on "stream". Our kitty used to love to "stalk" us and jump on our legs as we walked by. We both were looking like an ad for safe sex or meth addiction with the bites.
It was either kill the cat or figure a way. Actually started walking around with spray bottles, and every time he even thought about it, would shoot him with a shot. After a while, we only had to show him the bottle, and he would do an about turn in mid air.
The key was consistency. Pain in the rear, but at least kitty is still alive.....am seriously thinking of having his teeth removed, tho.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Desertgrandma, you are right about starting with the water. We actually did that is why we had 4 little spray bottles around to put the vinegar in. And it was quite effective with my boy kitty. However, for my husband's little girl kitty once the shock value wore off after a few months her attitude became "so what?" Then it went to "I like to splash in the water! Do it again-I don't care!" That is when my friend started her zoo keeper training and talked about the vinegar. We have never had a bite/scratch problem, but she was starting to regularly destroy things in her play so we needed another solution. It worked, but it does stink.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Desertgrandma, you are right about starting with the water. We actually did that is why we had 4 little spray bottles around to put the vinegar in. And it was quite effective with my boy kitty. However, for my husband's little girl kitty once the shock value wore off after a few months her attitude became "so what?" Then it went to "I like to splash in the water! Do it again-I don't care!" That is when my friend started her zoo keeper training and talked about the vinegar. We have never had a bite/scratch problem, but she was starting to regularly destroy things in her play so we needed another solution. It worked, but it does stink.
that is such a CAT attitude!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
We use just plain water in a spray bottle, set on "stream". Our kitty used to love to "stalk" us and jump on our legs as we walked by. We both were looking like an ad for safe sex or meth addiction with the bites.
It was either kill the cat or figure a way. Actually started walking around with spray bottles, and every time he even thought about it, would shoot him with a shot. After a while, we only had to show him the bottle, and he would do an about turn in mid air.
The key was consistency. Pain in the rear, but at least kitty is still alive.....am seriously thinking of having his teeth removed, tho.......
Sorry, but it's a short term solution. (pun intended)
Cats are notable hyppocrits and will thus operate at night instead.

Worse, I had one who thought it was a game! He had noooo problem with water.

That blender thing will work a long time but you might kill hubby with a heart attack one night when he sneaks down for a beer and a roast sandwich.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Sorry, but it's a short term solution. (pun intended)
Cats are notable hyppocrits and will thus operate at night instead.

Worse, I had one who thought it was a game! He had noooo problem with water.

That blender thing will work a long time but you might kill hubby with a heart attack one night when he sneaks down for a beer and a roast sandwich.
This is true, they will do stuff at night that they KNOW you won't know about. However, my legs are usually under the covers then, so I don't care. All plants are outdoors, and I"ve learned to keep the counters cleared of any food I might want to eat in the future....(cookies, cakes, etc....nothing like a trail of crumbs along the floor....)
Old 11-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Cover the soil of the plants. I'd stick in lots of holly sprigs, or berberis. Then it's not so attractive to cats, who won't like the prickles.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blender, cat, silly, strobe light, unutterable silliness