Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
Evil Overlord
Enthusiast
Evil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Question Table of contents disappears in Calibre

I've been using an e-book template based on an older, epub-2 version of Sigil. That worked fine, but I decided to recreate the template in an epub-3 version. (By that, I mean, recreating it in Sigil 0.9.5.)

Everything works fine, except that now, when I add the book to Calibre, there's no table of contents - or rather, just the word Start.

I've used the Generate Table of Contents tool to automatically create a TOC from headings (Title of Book is H1, each chapter is H2), and it seems to work fine, but in Calibre's reading view, the TOC is blank (just "Start"). I've tried Create HTML Table of Contents, which leaves a blank nav page, and the same blank TOC in Calibre. I can create a TOC using Calibre's edit book view, but of course that's extra work.

How can I create a TOC in Sigil that will show up automatically in Calibre (and other viewers)?

SOLVED-ish: Used Generate NCX from nav. Any way to avoid that extra step?

Last edited by Evil Overlord; 06-01-2016 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Found solution
Evil Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Overlord View Post
Calibre is great book management tool, but it doesn't support ePub3 books and NAV TOCS.
BTW, since very few apps and dedicated eInk readers support ePub3 books you might want to always use Generate NCX from Nav to ensure backwards compatibility.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Yes, use an epub reader that understands epub3 such as Readium or any of the devices that use the latest Adobe SDK (newer Kobos)

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:58 AM   #4
Evil Overlord
Enthusiast
Evil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-booksEvil Overlord has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Calibre is great book management tool, but it doesn't support ePub3 books and NAV TOCS.
BTW, since very few apps and dedicated eInk readers support ePub3 books you might want to always use Generate NCX from Nav to ensure backwards compatibility.
Thanks, this is great info. I didn't realize ePub3 was so sparsely supported. I presume that will change with time, but I'll include the NCX step for now.
Evil Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:56 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Thanks, this is great info. I didn't realize ePub3 was so sparsely supported. I presume that will change with time, but I'll include the NCX step for now.
Don't count on Calibre supporting ePUB3 though. Kovid has told several times that he will not support ePUB3 since he fails to see the point of its added value. That being said, he might have been talking about the editor only.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...7efbd33114fb79

calibre should now support making both NCX and Nav ToCs for EPUB3, in order to maintain wider compatibility.
However, the Viewer itself will still expect to see a proper EPUB2 ToC in NCX format, which is understandable since it is an EPUB2 viewer.

Apparently, it is okay for calibre to get a certain limited amount of EPUB3 support, or perhaps Kovid just doesn't want to break existing books.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, table of contents, toc