Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Which patches do you consider most useful/most important?
Fix Reader layout and add hyphenation support for .mobi/.azw2 books (probably not for KF8/.azw3) 29 42.65%
Change display margins 29 42.65%
Customize reader font sizes 27 39.71%
Customize progress display while reading books 34 50.00%
Look up words in all applicable dictionaries, instead of only one 19 27.94%
Support all orientations in the Java UI (including upside-down) 10 14.71%
Password-protect books 6 8.82%
Automatically install the developer keys when required 15 22.06%
Modify Collection Count Behavior (account for nested collections) 8 11.76%
Disable Special Offers 26 38.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: Oh, cool, thanks . Must. resist. urge. to. check. fontconfig. settings.

(Can't promise anything, it's pretty far down my list either, I'm quite happy with the default fonts).

But, yeah, same mindset over here . I mostly resumed work on the ScreenSavers stuff because the idea of being able to use the cover of the last book opened was starting to really nag at me... (When you start jotting down design ideas instead of taking notes during a class, you know you've hit the point where you *have* to start working on it ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #17
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
... just bumping this in the hope of getting a few more opinions
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #18
back2iam
back2iam began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, PaperWhite2
Can I remove "Swipe" to log in?

It's a little bit annoying that I have to swipe screen to enter after pushing the button.
back2iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2iam View Post
It's a little bit annoying that I have to swipe screen to enter after pushing the button.
There's no swiping when without ads, so you can disable them from screensaver with some hack to remove swiping.

It's not done in Java, so probably it's out of scope of JBPatch.
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
There's no swiping when without ads, so you can disable them from screensaver with some hack to remove swiping.

It's not done in Java, so probably it's out of scope of JBPatch.
This may, or may not, be solved by the patch which would remove the Special Offers

No, I didn't even start to look into JBPatch for PW just yet; still waiting for a few more opinions. Come on people... thousands of JBPatch downloads, but only 48 voters?
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The only way to get any feedback is to offer a time-limited free download and a for-fee upgrade to 'unlimited time'.

At least then you would get negative feedback.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #22
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The only way to get any feedback is to offer a time-limited free download and a for-fee upgrade to 'unlimited time'.

At least then you would get negative feedback.
Ha! yeah, thanks knc1!
So let's see...

This poll is only available for free during the next 72 hours. Please cast your vote during that time!

After that, the poll will be closed, and you will have to bribe me to take your opinion into account. Bribe amounts are subject to individual discussions.

Good enough?

PS: just to clarify: this post was a joke, but the topic isn't.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Ha! yeah, thanks knc1!
So let's see...

This poll is only available for free during the next 72 hours. Please cast your vote during that time!

After that, the poll will be closed, and you will have to bribe me to take your opinion into account. Bribe amounts are subject to individual discussions.

Good enough?

I voted, and I don't even have a KPW!
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #24
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Ha! yeah, thanks knc1!
So let's see...

Good enough?

Correct!
The two posts are intended as a type of technical humor, just to lighten the situation a bit.

BUT...
The topic is most certainly serious.
This work is time consuming and requires skills that often take years to learn.
Just because the link and download is free does not mean its creation was "free" in any sense of the word.

A "price" of three "thank yous" per user would be nice.
These "public service" projects undertaken by individuals are due at least that much of a reward.

For my own web-site (not this one) I have considered making it a subscription site.
"un-limited" versions, support and hand-holding available only to subscribed members.
To date, that thought has not progressed any further than being a thought (plus installation of a version of the site package that supports subscription-only areas).

Last edited by knc1; 11-12-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #25
dlong
Total newb
dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: iPad 3, Kindle paperwhite
Missed the voting

I tell you what : I'm disappointed to have missed the voting. But I spent the weekend reading up on the JBpatch and am totally amazed.

THANK YOU for spending all this time on it. If the voting were still open I would vote for justification/hyphenation first, and disable the special offers second.

(I don't mind ads. But I just got the paperwhite this week when they are doing a big promotion for the 4th Twilight Movie. And I could really do WITHOUT the smoldering Robert Pattinson covers every time I put the PW to sleep.)

Anyhow, fantastic job and super thumbs up on all the work you've done so far.
dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
dlong
Total newb
dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: iPad 3, Kindle paperwhite
Aw snap. Turns out I did not miss the poll after all -- I just hadn't logged in. Fixed, voted, and suitably embarrassed now.
dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #27
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Aw snap. Turns out I did not miss the poll after all -- I just hadn't logged in. Fixed, voted, and suitably embarrassed now.
Don't be. I thought I had voted. I hadn't until like yesterday. Over it

JBPatch RUleZ !!!!!!11111 etc...

Code:
:::::::::::::::::::::::/:::::\
::::::::::::::::::::::|::::::|
::__:::::::::::::::::|:::::::|
/:::::|:::::::::::::::|::::::|
|:::::|:::::::::::::::|::::::|
|:::::|::__:::::/“\::|:::::::|
|:::::|:/:::\::|::::||:::::::|
|:::::||:::::|:|::::||:::::::|::::::::::::_—.
|:::::||:::::|:|::::||:.:__::|:::::::./::::::::|
|::_::|::::::||:::::|:::::::::|::::::/::::::::://
|::::::|::::::||::::|::::::::|:::::/::::::::::(/
|::::::|::::::||::::|::::::::|:::/:::::::::::/
|::::::|::::::||::::|::::::::|/:::::::::::::|
|::::::|::::::||::::|:::::::::::::::::::::/
|::::::\__/“\__/::::::::::::::::::::::::|
|:::::::::::_.-’::::::::::::::::::::::::/
|::::_.-’::::::::::/:::::::::::::::::::|
|::::::::::::::::::/::::::::::::::::::/
|::::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::/
\:::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::/
::\::::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::/’
:::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
::::\:::::::::::::::::::::::::.’
::::|::::::::::::::::::::::::|

Last edited by twobob; 11-12-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: wonky fingers
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #28
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Don't be. I thought I had voted. I hadn't until like yesterday. Over it

JBPatch RUleZ !!!!!!11111 etc...

Quote:
:::::::::::::::::::::::/:::::\
::::::::::::::::::::::|::::::|
::__:::::::::::::::::|:::::::|
/:::::|:::::::::::::::|::::::|
|:::::|::__:::::/“\::|:::::::|
|:::::|:/:::\::|::::||:::::::|
|:::::||:::::|:|::::||:::::::|::::::::::::_—.
|:::::||:::::|:|::::||:.:__::|:::::::./::::::::|
|::_::|::::::||:::::|:::::::::|::::::/::::::::://
|::::::|::::::||::::|::::::::|:::::/:::::::::/
|::::::|::::::||::::|::::::::|:::/:::::::::::/
|::::::|::::::||::::|::::::::|/:::::::::::::|
|::::::|::::::||::::|:::::::::::::::::::::/
|::::::\__/“\__/::::::::::::::::::::::::|
|:::::::::::_.-’::::::::::::::::::::::::/
|::::_.-’::::::::::/:::::::::::::::::::|
|::::::::::::::::::/::::::::::::::::::/
|::::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::/
\:::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::::::/
::\::::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::/’
:::|:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
::::\:::::::::::::::::::::::::.’
That "ascii art" may look better in a quote box than a code box, so it looks more like what you saw in the edit box while creating it... [except for that frown that crept in there]... A slight modification could make that useful for amazon's latest efforts aimed at us.

EDIT: I see that this is browser sensitive. The code block version was not good viewed on my host PC yesterday, but it looks fine viewed on my Nexus 7. The quote block version does not look as good on the Nexus 7.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-13-2012 at 11:45 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
A slight modification could make that useful for amazon's latest efforts aimed at us.
Wouldn't that be duplicating the standard screensaver that Amazon ships with the 5.3.0 firmware as a replacement for the person sitting under a tree?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #30
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Wouldn't that be duplicating the standard screensaver that Amazon ships with the 5.3.0 firmware as a replacement for the person sitting under a tree?
I think my fairly irreverent version wouldn't pass muster. but it makes me smile every time I reboot which is all I could ask for in an image. (which I have now removed because it may be subject to copyright...)

Last edited by twobob; 11-13-2012 at 02:31 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote