Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
soul_rebel
soul_rebel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hacker friendly

Hi guys,
I am looking for an hacker friendly ebook. Which means, in order of importance:
1: support for open standards: usable from GNU/Linux with calibre, with no need to install closed drivers. Support for open ebook formats
2: no mandatory updates or other "phoning home" to the factory.
3: simple but not dumbed-down interface. Decent speed.
4: good hardware and software quality and durability (high quality screen: dpi, glare, e-ink technology).
5: possibility to load code, get root privileges without risky jailbreak procedures.
6: wifi and possibility to browse and download ebooks from network shares OR possibility to ssh to the device and upload stuff.

Is there a 6" device out there that makes it at least to number 4?
Anything that gets all the six points?
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by soul_rebel; 02-11-2011 at 03:56 AM.
soul_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Onyx Boox 60

take a look at booxusers.com

available at the link below
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest the PocketBook 602. It meets all your requirements.

There is a comprehensive review, at The eBook Reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
soul_rebel

how about the sony 7". It has a higher dpi and that is something I usually like.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_rebel View Post
how about the sony 7". It has a higher dpi and that is something I usually like.
The 7" and 6" EInk readers have the same dpi (167 dpi), the 7" is bigger so it has more pixels. The PRS-950 does have a Pearl screen, which has higher contrast than the Vizplex screen of the PocketBooks and the Boox.

The Sony does not have your #5, and only supports ePub and PDF - but Calibre can convert anything else to those formats. I'm not sure what you can do with the 950's WiFi except web browsing. The eBook Reader has a review.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
soul_rebel

Quote:
The Sony does not have your #5
I thought I saw people speaking of having command shell access (ssh) on the thing. That would be enough. SSH rocks.

Now that I think of it, having wifi "ad-hoc" networking is kind of important too. So that you can connect the reader to a computer directly, with no access points.

About the dpi, it is higher compared to most 7", about the same as a 6".
Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
I like my PB 602 as well.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
bearmann
bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bearmann has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

What about Kindle 3 + Duokan? I am quite sure that this combo would meet the requirements 2-5, not so sure about 1+6, though.

regards.
bearmann
bearmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
soul_rebel

the kindle is out of the question. Even if one could fix most of its shortcomings by re-flashing another firmware (which btw is a risky procedure), it would still be hypocrite to give money to a company that is totally not respecting any kind of user freedom, since I go out preaching the importance of that freedom.

The only thing I don't like about the PB 602 is the 6" screen. I was aiming for 7".
However it looks that the sonys are out of stock, so I might reconsider.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
hacker friendly surely mean Android devices -- in other words, Linux with a Google interface. I'm a Linux desktop user myself and a programmer, though I see no point hacking away my mobile: I just want it to work.

that said, it was good fun mocking up some app in the desktop java IDE and loading them onto the device. Nothing serious, just checking out...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
Runs4Brains
Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
NookColor meets all your requirements except the 6" or smaller screen size. From what I understand, it's also unbrickable since the unit supports boot from SD card. B&N has also built-in a failsafe feature to reload the OS from a non-flashable firmware location in the event of 8 aborted reboots, which can be user initiated. This means OS recovery is basically 100% guaranteed no matter how badly you screw up.
Runs4Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #12
soul_rebel

I want an ebook reader, so no color displays, but e-ink. No refreshing pixels, so no android as well.
I don't mean to spend a lot of time hacking the device, I just want to have the possibility in case I have an idea or a problem to solve.
The nook (non color) could do, but that colored stripe of screen at the bottom it's just stupid, and the e-ink is vizplex.
I hate Sony, but it seems they have the best product at the moment.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
Clash
Clash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enoughClash will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
I'm pretty sure that the Kindle 3 meets all your needs.
Clash is offline   Reply With Quote